REVIEW: Mattel CARS "Sarge's Boot Camp"

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Mattel CARS "Sarge's Boot Camp"

TRU exclusive set shines with all-new sculpts

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, Urban-Collector.com, BriansToys.com, DollsAmerica.com, ClarkToys.com, ToyWiz.com, VNCToys.com, PastGenerationToys.com, MonkeyDepot.com, RPMDiecast.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, YesAnimation.com, and SuperheroToys.com.

For a great selection of film, TV and pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

It feels like toys surrounding Disney/Pixar's film CARS have always been around, but in reality it's only been around since 2006. And much like the popularity of the random background characters in Star Wars, CARS collectors cherish and love all the detail that went into this film and Mattel loves putting these obscure characters out there.

Toys"R"Us has an exclusive box set that you won't want to miss: SARGE'S BOOT CAMP. Seen during the end credits of the film, this box set is 80% new which is quite rare for an exclusive box set these days. And depending on when you got involved with CARS collecting, the set might even be 100% new since the character of Sarge was recalled for lead paint in mid-2007 and never re-released until recently.

The box set includes:

- Sarge – 1942 WWII Willy’s Army Jeep

- TJ – Hummer H1 Civilian Style – New Oversized scale!

- Murphy –(orange) Emerycraft Inka – New!

- Frank "Pinky" Pinkerton – Clebert Battleaxe – New!

- Charlie Cargo -- New!

Aside from Sarge, all the cars are brand new sculpts although there have been changes to Sarge around the eyes to be two individual panels rather than one large one. TJ is an all-new larger scale car. He was originally released as a Wal-Mart exclusive so it's great to get the more appropriately sized version in this set. Murphy, Frank "Pinky" Pinkerton, and Charlie Cargo aren't as large as TJ but are larger than Sarge. The set is priced at $30, which isn't bargain priced but it's pretty close to how it would cost if you bought each one separately.

Paint is decent for the most part but a bit sloppy at times. Make sure you take a good look as I've found a few sets where the rear view mirrors weren't properly painted. Another problem I had was with TJ; his side mirror was installed completely wrong so one is facing down. It's glued in pretty good so I can't fix it but I couldn't have avoided this problem if I paid closer attention to what I was buying. But then again, this is a problem that Mattel shouldn't even be allowing through.

Aside from the mirror on TJ and some of the paint, this is a set not to be passed up on if you're a fan of the toy line. Let's see more sets like this, Mattel!

For a complete image gallery tour of the new CARS "Sarge's Boot Camp" set, CLICK HERE!

Review and Photos by David Yeh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars1.jpg 
Views:	7133 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars2.jpg 
Views:	27306 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	1270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars3.jpg 
Views:	10947 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	1271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars4.jpg 
Views:	8103 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	1272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars5.jpg 
Views:	8915 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1273  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1cars6.jpg 
Views:	5100 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1274  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.