Events: EVENT COVERAGE: Anime Expo 2016

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

EVENT COVERAGE: Anime Expo 2016

The Best Keeps Getting Better...

If you’re an anime or manga fan in Los Angeles you know that July 4th weekend means food, family, celebrating our country’s independence... and of course Anime Expo. Officially the largest North American anime convention (title snagged last year), Anime Expo is an incredibly diverse and fun event that’s great for the entire family. And I should know, since I brought mine this year and everyone from my two year old son to his grandfather were wide-eyed at all the sights and sounds. Held at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Downtown L.A. for the 9th year in a row, Anime Expo sought to break last year’s attendance record of over 90,000 visitors with awesome special guests, screenings around the clock, a schedule packed with interesting programming, sprawling Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley spaces, and much more.

The four day extravaganza this year was sponsored by Shoji Kawamori’s “The Next,” Square Enix, Fakku!, Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Cosplay Deviants, and of course the huge guest list included personalities from the worlds of anime and manga in addition to voice actors, cosplay experts, fashion icons, musicians and singers, and much more. Programming ranged from non-stop screening rooms to fun for kids, academic panels, workshops, premieres, fan panels, dance events, karaoke, gaming, cosplay panels, the always-popular Maid Café, and that was just part of the schedule! Attendees could also spring for special ticketed events like concerts, masquerades, comedy showdowns, burlesque, and more.

While all of that stuff is super cool, with the family in tow my time is generally spent solely in places where we can look at and buy things, and that means the Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley. I go to a lot of conventions, and AX is right up there with major events in terms of the size and quality of these spaces. This year’s Exhibit Hall welcomed nearly 400 vendors and exhibitors with the usual incredible range of things to see from the huge anime and manga companies to sponsors like Hulu, action figures, video games, clothing, cosplay weapons, candy, model kits, vintage toys, unique items from Japan, artwork and art supplies, and the list goes on. Attendees were there to shop, and the exhibitors were fully stocked with cool stuff. One noteworthy trend this year was the mystery grab bag; tons of booths offered sealed bags and boxes with unknown treasures inside... and people couldn’t wait to try their luck! Of course, it wouldn’t be an anime convention without the presence of Bluefin and their mighty booth lined with glorious display cases of action figures, models, and incredible imported toys and statues. They even had a slew of Anime Expo exclusives to tempt attendees and their already suffering wallets!

AX has grown so much that the massive main hall can’t contain both the Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley any longer, and at first I was concerned that not enough attendees would make their way down two floors to see all of the amazing “amateur” art and craft items. Well, I shouldn’t have been worried as that area was absolutely PACKED with people, actually reminding me of walking the floor at San Diego Comic-Con! Row upon row offered beautiful original art and lots of reimagining of favorite characters, plus things like clothing, accessories, jewelry, and stuffed animals. There were some really talented and innovative people here. Speaking of, of all the conventions I go to Anime Expo ranks just under SDCC in terms of the quality and imagination of the cosplayers. And the people here are by no means limited to characters from actual anime and manga; we saw plenty of those but also dinosaurs, superheroes, Transformers, Doctor Who, Stormtroopers, and unique mash-ups bending both genders and genres like a Steampunk Ood from Doctor Who and a couple consisting of a male Rey and a female Poe Dameron!

That’s just the briefest look at Anime Expo, and I managed to shoot some photos in between showing my little son all of the cool stuff and the cosplayers at every turn. If you’re an anime or manga fan I highly encourage you to come out to SoCal one July 4th weekend and take in the extravaganza that is Anime Expo. It’s huge, it’s fun, and there’s so much to do!

Photos and words by Scott Rubin

Keep up with all the latest toy news by following Figures.com on Facebook and Twitter!

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ax01.JPG 
Views:	12464 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	312808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ax05.JPG 
Views:	9771 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	312809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ax22.JPG 
Views:	7595 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	312810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ax25.JPG 
Views:	7471 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	312811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ax15.JPG 
Views:	7292 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	312812  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: EVENT COVERAGE: Anime Expo 2016

https://musicdownload.co.za/ Musicdownload.co.za The Amapiano star DJ Maphorisa said he assisted his associate and companion Kabza De Small with turning into the power he is today Amapiano Songs

This is an outstanding asset, to the point where you are giving it away for free.. I appreciate seeing websites who recognize the value of providing a high-quality asset for free. What goes around comes around, as the saying goes.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I need those badly!! Those are so cute!! Sunderland roofers

It sounds like Anime Expo is an exciting event for anime and manga fans in Los Angeles! With its diverse programming, special guests, and sprawling exhibit spaces, it's no wonder that it has become the largest North American anime convention. It's great to hear that the event is family-friendly and entertaining for people of all ages, from young children to grandparents. The convention's location in Downtown L.A. also provides a vibrant backdrop for attendees to enjoy. It's impressive that Anime Expo has been held at the Los Angeles Convention Center for nine consecutive years, and it's exciting to see how the event will continue to evolve and grow in the future. Junk Liberty

This is a great event to attend with family and friends of Charlotte Drywall Contractors, as everyone from a two-year-old child to a grandfather can enjoy the sights and sounds.

This glimpse into Anime Expo only scratches the surface of the event's magnitude. Amidst the excitement, I managed to capture some photos while exploring the various attractions with my young son. If you're an anime or manga fan, I highly recommend attending Anime Expo in Southern California during the July 4th weekend. It offers a massive, fun-filled extravaganza with an abundance of activities and attractions to enjoy. Best real estate agent Miami

Hi all,

Can someone advise if Figures.com is no longer actively posting articles about newly announced/released collectibles ranges by all the various manufacturers.
    As someone who has worked in the industry for over 20 years I have always used Figures.com as a reference point for new ranges and manufacturers and it appears that since around February no new articles have been released.

Any information would be appreciated.

Google this is great Google what is this www.google.com

It sounds like a fantastic event for anime and manga fans in Los Angeles. Will it also take place in georgia?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.