REVIEW: ADVANCE REVIEW: Comicave Studios Die-Cast IRON MAN 1/12 Scale "Shades"

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

ADVANCE REVIEW: Comicave Studios Die-Cast IRON MAN 1/12 Scale "Shades"

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night...

Comicave Studios follows the release of their 1/12 scale Iron Man "Shotgun" (read our review HERE) and "Igor" (HERE), with Shades". An Extreme Heat Suit, the 6-inch tall Mark XXIII (23) action figure is the latest in Comicave's series of premium Iron Man 3 armors featuring 75% die-cast metal. High-quality construction aside, it's particularly nice that Comicave is rolling out House Party Protocol suits that have never been seen before on this collectible scale. Heck, I believe this is the first figure of Shades to ever hit the market. Pricing and a U.S. release date hasn't been announced yet for Shades (the figure was just revealed a few days ago), but he should be distributed via Bluefin and he should retail for around $140, similar to Shotgun.

The forerunner to the Mark XL Shotgun, Shades features the same body type, but is made even cooler with an awesome digital camo deco. While Shades is branded as an "Extreme Heat Suit," I see more of an all-purpose military design. It's a shame Shades doesn't feature a shoulder-mounted minigun - he'd give War Machine a run for his money in the style department. The name Shades is derived from the suit's ability to keep cool in high heat, however it doesn't hurt that the armor has a flip-up visor that resembles a pair of sunglasses. Dual meaning. Catchy.

Packaging layout, accessories, articulation and figure features are all identical to Shotgun (see my review HERE). I don't say that as a negative - this is a class act presentation and product, folks. I'm just pointing it out to save on repeating myself. Highlights include the return of the translucent flame effects that plug into Shades' back and set of splayed hands. The brilliant orange brings a pop of color and really enhances the display dynamics for this figure. The many sets of interchangeable hands are also a joy to play with - each pair easy to pop on and off. You get the usual suspects of fisted, slightly open (half-fisted?), fully splayed open, and two sets splayed open and bent at the wrist for repulsor beam or fire effect plug-in action. The included display stand with TWO display arms (clear and bendy metal) is also a very nice touch.

And then there is the LED light-up feature. I know I have mentioned many times on how I feel about gimmicky light-up features - you do it once and you're done with it. However, Comicave is - excuse the pun - making me see the light with their Iron Man figures. With batteries already in place, illuminating these figures is as easy as flipping the switch on the back. And if the batteries die? Comicave even provides a screwdriver to replace them with. Fan service all the way.

Comicave Studios Die-Cast 1:12 Shades with their Die-Cast 1:12 Igor

Like Shotgun, Shades didn't see a whole lot of action in Iron Man 3. It was really a blink-and-you-missed-it moment as all the House Party suits fly into action. So little scene time doesn't make this armor any less appealing. Shades sells on his good looks alone, especially being the only armor to feature miltary camouflage. It really helps Shades stand out from the pack and looks sooo cool.

Following Comicave Studios' Igor is a tough act to follow. That figure was large and in charge, the die-cast metal in Igor staggering to hold. Shades isn't as big, nor as heavy, but Shade's unique deco and sleek armor profile have quickly made him one of my favorites.

CLICK HERE FOR OVER 80 NEW PHOTOS OF SHADES!

Comicave Studios Die-Cast 1:12 Shades with Hasbro's Marvel Legends War Machine

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of Comicave Studios

Keep up with all the latest toy news by following Figures.com on Facebook and Twitter!

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7903.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	308758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7896.JPG 
Views:	1917 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	308759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1shadesviews.jpg 
Views:	7351 
Size:	336.6 KB 
ID:	308760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1shadesPACK.jpg 
Views:	2495 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	308761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1shadesGEAR.jpg 
Views:	4757 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	308762  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1shadesLIGHT.jpg 
Views:	1758 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	308763  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 02-05-2016 at 08:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.