REVIEW: REVIEW: Hot Toys Iron Man Mark III Diorama + Workshop Accessories Set

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Hot Toys Iron Man Mark III Diorama + Workshop Accessories Set

1:6th Scale Iron Man Sets to Compliment Your Display...

Between his three solo outings and two Avengers movies, there has been no shortage of Iron Man armors for companies to replicate in toy form. While I enjoyed Iron Man 3, part of me feels that film was made just so there could be more toys produced. I digress, as there are legions of fans that are eager to complete their Iron Man collections, especially when it comes to Hot Toy's dazzling array of one sixth scale armors. Hot Toys has done most all of them, or is in the process of making them all, and while it's nice to see so many armors released in this scale, it's refreshing to see Hot Toys branch out with something different. That something different is two 1:6th scale Iron Man sets that compliment the passionate Iron Man collector's display: the Iron Man 3 Workshop Accessories Set (ACS002) and the Mark III (Construction Version) Diorama (DS003).

Unlike the bazillion armored suit action figures released in this scale, these two new 1:6 Hot Toys sets aren't required to be a completest. Well, perhaps that's not true, completest does mean everything. What I'm saying is that these two sets are more like add-ons rather than standalone items. If you're looking to spruce up your display, these sets make for really cool additions.

The Mark III (Construction Version) Diorama depicts Tony Starks third Iron Man suit in the process of being built or repaired. It's very similar in concept to the Terminator Salvation T-700 Terminator Factory in that what you get is the suspended bust of the figure in a diorama-like setting with light-up features. We've seen the Iron Man suits battle damaged before, but the Mark III diorama depicts the suit in a state of repair. An arm is missing and the legs are gone, Iron Man's suit trailing all sorts of wires as if they were guts.

Assembly of this piece is pretty straight forward and Hot Toys' illustrated instructions make building it a breeze. I was pretty much awestruck by all the detail in the suit, especially the string of computer boards and "metal" construction of the missing arm. Solid sculpting work elevated by phenomenal paint apps. To add extra dimension to your display, there are two optional chest pieces: a lower exposed portion that attaches via magnets and the red enameled chest cover that slips on via peg and hole. I think most collects will display it fully assembled, if you want to call it that, though combined with the Workshop Accessories Set I can see pieces being placed on the table as Tony Stark goes to town.

The Workshop Accessories Set is the very definition of an add-on, the small foam box housing nothing but Tony Stark's tools of the trade. And what a collection of gadgets you get! First to catch your attention is a large work table. It's cast in plastic, but looks like real steel. I believe it's actually the same table fans received with Hot Toys' Tony Stark Armor Testing Version Set (MMS191), as are many of the tools, including the headset, screw driver, wire cutter, pliers, magazines and blueprints - though the images are different on the latter.

New to this set are a pair of repulsor palms, in-construction bicep armor pieces, battery booster with electrical cables (and "Road Warrior stickers - same battery included with the diorama set above), battle damaged helmet and a pristine helmet with a light-up display stand. The stand can hold the undamaged helmet or you can pop it off and replace the top with a nifty Iron Man 3 logo faceplate. All said, the Workshop Accessories Set is nice if you don't already own the Armor Testing Set or if you simply want more workshop gear to expand your display. Unlike the Iron Man bust diorama, this accessory set is certainly not very much fun on its own. As an add-on this accessory set is a nice Hot Toys offering, however it could us more all-new gear, as opposed to recycled old, to make it a more tempting purchase.

Both sets are in-stock and ready to order via Sideshow Collectibles, the Iron Man Mark III (Construction Version) Diorama priced at $149.99 and the Iron Man 3 Workshop Accessories Set retailing for $124.99. They are certainly on the more affordable end of the spectrum when it comes to Hot Toys figures, making them an attractive add-on to serious Iron Man collectors. Those cherry picking Hot Toys' 1:6 Iron Man collection need not apply.

Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of Hot Toys

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1setsIMpacked.jpg 
Views:	3864 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	296332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1imhelmet.jpg 
Views:	2719 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	296342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1imsetsEND.jpg 
Views:	6177 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	296352   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1dioIMuse.jpg 
Views:	8370 
Size:	346.5 KB 
ID:	296362  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 06-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.