REVIEW: REVIEW: 1:6 Scale Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes SNAKE PVC Statue

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: 1:6 Scale Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes SNAKE PVC Statue

Gecco Introduces Collectors to the World of High-End PVC Statues...

Collectible companies continue to push the boundaries of what a high-end statue can be. The use of magnets and a modular construction design has allowed for increasingly complex resin pieces. While static sculptures will always exist, being able to alter the look of your statue with interchangeable parts is an ideal way to please most of your fanbase. Companies have also been experimenting in materials, the use of PVC plastic producing a statue that is lightweight, durable and usually more affordable than fragile resin. Diamond Select has had much success with their Femme Fatales series and Kotobukiya has impressed with their ARTFX+ and Bishoujo lines. All these PVC statues pack a fair amount of detail and paint apps into a sculpture that's well under $100.

Japanese figure manufacturer Gecco (gecco.co.jp) is taking PVC statues to the next level by introducing collectors to high-end PVC statues. Measuring an eye-catching 12 inches tall, these stunning PVC pieces incorporate interchangeable parts with the intricate sculpt and paint apps of a premium one sixth scale action figure. Up for review today is Gecco's recently released Big Boss, aka: Snake as he appears in the newest Metal Gear Solid video game entry, Ground Zeroes. This statue is available for order at many fine retailers, such as BigBadToyStore.com where Snake is priced at $250.

An attractive packaging design is essential in making good first impressions, and Gecco's Snake PVC statue box gets the job done. The box's large size is the first thing you'll notice, along with the circular window revealing Snake inside. It's not the clearest view of the piece, but the clear pane serves another cool purpose that I'll mention here momentarily. The art on the front of the box is a slick metallic collage, the collection of fuzzy images and icons resembling a video feed transmission. High tech stuff, just like the special forces operative Snake. The back of the box compliments the front's dark, neutral color palette with a vibrant piece of art work by Yoji Shinkawa. A collectible trading card/ certificate of authenticity taped on the inside flap also features Mr. Shinkawa's gorgeous art.

Where a resin statue would be housed in foam, the Snake PVC statue is stowed safe and sound between two plastic trays, very similar to a one sixth scale action figure. Upon sliding out the tray, you'll find a wraparound cardboard insert in the box. This insert serves double duty as both statue assembly instructions and as a cool backdrop for when the statue isn't in the packaging. Take another peek in the front window while the insert is still in the box and you'll see what I mean. Cool stuff.

While the Snake PVC statue features a modular design as far as interchangeable parts, basic assembly is as easy as plugging the figure onto the base. Snake is pretty much ready to go right out of the box, Gecco's no fuss approach to display extremely welcome. As mentioned, Snake is cast in one sixth scale, the statue clocking in squarely at 12 inches, including the base. Snake blends in extremely well with other one sixth scale figures, Gecco's PVC statue truly blurring the line between statue and figure.

Size aside, it's Snakes dense plastic construction, intricate sculpted detail and meticulous paint apps that are also very similar to a high-end one sixth scale figure. Snake has some nice heft to him and the PVC plastic used, especially on the head sculpts, is a dead ringer for a 1:6 toy. This is Hot Toys quality craftsmanship here, Gecco nailing every little detail on Snake's sophisticated military gear. Fabric patches look like fabric patches, while Snake's stealth suit appears like a mix of rubbery latex and strong metal components. Most impressive is the paint work, every teeny tiny piece of text on Snake's gear is legible and everything features multiple layers of realistic shading and weathering.

Flesh tones are also superb. Out of the box Snake comes with his standard head sculpt. This is the portrait most Metal Gear fans will most likely opt for as it portrays the super soldier in pristine condition.

However, my money is on the included battle damaged head sculpt. It adds a tough and rugged look to Snake and the "blood" and cuts on this portrait are phenomenal looking. Absolutely badass.

Still can't decide? Gecco provides not one, not two, but THREE Snake head sculpts. The third head features Snake donning his infrared goggles. All three head sculpts swap by simply plugging them into the neck via a large square peg. Once plugged in, the head connection is nice and solid.

While not as radical a display changer as the interchangeable head sculpts, Gecco also allows collectors to choose how to configure Snake's assault rifle: silenced or not. Just like the heads, changing barrels is plug-and-play. Once you've settled on a look, the entire rifle array straps over Snakes head and shoulder for a secure at-the-ready display. You'll note that in some of my photos I just have the rifle slung over his shoulder. This was before I discovered that it's best positioned over Snake's head (pop it off, slide sling over, re-insert head). Pays to read the instructions, but as you can see, you can simply slide his rifle over his shoulder, if you so desire. Snake also includes a combat knife and pistol. The knife comes attached to the statue, however the pistol can be removed. I assume you could swap the rifle in place of the pistol. (Update: Just tried it. It can be done, but the grip is a tad looser. Best to leave the pistol where it is.)

Lastly we come to the round earthen display base. There's a broken chunk of concrete wall you'll need to plug on, and then you're ready to attach Snake via peg (on the base) and hole (Snake's feet). Once aligned properly, the entire figure/statue stands secure with no worries of it falling off. I've carried the piece around by just holding the figure and the base stayed on just fine. Snake can also stand on his own, albeit a tad wobbly, but why would you? The base adds so much to the entire sculpture. Hyper-realistic rocks and exposed rusty rebar really add a war-torn feel to the statue, and if you look close enough, you'll even find a nifty in-game reference (I haven't played the new game, but it's the "XOF" patch behind the wall).

Erase the thought of PVC being cheaper or inferior to resin when it comes to a statue. Gecco proves with their MGSV Snake that a PVC statue can be just as nice, if not nicer than a resin sculpture. All the intricate detail and paint apps you'd expect on a high-end resin piece are present, and Snake's solid PVC construction insures that this statue won't be breaking anytime soon. Snake is really more akin to a static high-end one sixth scale action figure. About the only criticism I can find with Gecco's Snake PVC statue is its price. Retailing at $250, Snake hovers in at about the same cost of a high-end, fully articulated 1:6 action figure. The decision then boils down to aesthetics and the question of "to pose or not to pose". As for aesthetics, Gecco's Snake PVC statue is the coolest figure or statue of the video game hero I've ever seen. There's plenty of 1:6th scale Snake action figures out there, but nothing currently featuring this killer new game look. As for articulation, I personally don't require it for a stunning display piece. Gecco's pose for Snake is dynamic and the ability to swap heads and gear allows for a welcome personal touch.

Action figure or statue, Gecco's Snake PVC statue is the best of both worlds.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of Gecco

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1snakeTOP.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	293292  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 06-09-2015 at 02:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.