REVIEW: REVIEW: Sideshow One Sixth Scale SNAKE PLISSKEN

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Sideshow One Sixth Scale SNAKE PLISSKEN

Escape From New York's Cult Classic Anti-Hero...

Don't you find it strange that a cult classic movie like Escape From New York is just now getting collectibles? Obviously it's a licensing thing, I'm just curious to the story behind it all and why - over 30 years later - the license is suddenly available (email me if you know). That thought off my mind, I'm nothing but ecstatic for this Snake Plissken collectible renaissance. John Carpenter's 1981 masterpiece is only one of my all-time favorite films. Already we've been treated to an incredible 8" action figure from NECA, as well as a pair of Funko ReAction figures (I love 'em for their retro card backs). Now fans of the Kurt Russell-starring movie can add Sideshow to that list with their recently released One Sixth Scale SNAKE PLISSKEN Action Figure. Snake is available to purchase now priced at $159.99, a bargain for 1:6th scale collectibles these days. So how does the figure stack up?

Things start off looking good with the awesome packing presentation. The front of the box is simple, yet elegant, depicting Snake Plissken's tattoo namesake and the "Escape From New York" logo. There are some funky white flecks on the black background that I at first thought were foam particles... then snow(!). I've since concluded that the white specks are meant to represent box wear and tear, as if this package came from the '80s (or found lying in the decaying streets of future prison Manhattan). I'm down with the cartoon cobra and logo, but yeah, the weathering effect could have been executed better. Flipping the pack around, collectors are greeted to a cool close-up portrait of Mr. Snake Plissken himself. It's an awesome teaser to the full-sized painting found on a cardboard insert inside when you open the box. Painted by the talented Fabian Schlaga, the artwork is an absolutely wicked rendition of Escape From New York's badass anti-hero. For fans that really like this art, a Premium Art Print is available through Sideshow ($89.99 and limited to 300 pieces).

Removing the inner box insert (i.e.: awesome artwork) reveals the Snake Plissken action figure and its tons of accessories on two stacked plastic trays. Lucky for impatient collectors, like me, the Snake Plissken action figure comes almost fully kitted up right out of the box. Almost. Snake comes wearing his now trademark '80s action hero attire of a brown leather jacket, underlying cutoff spandex black shirt, winter camo pants, and wild Mad Max-styled motorcycle boots... even his belt is attached. Alas, nothing is on said belt - requiring you to unbuckle it, take it off and then slide on his holster and pouches in the right order (my 8" NECA figure came in handy for reference here). It's all a painless affair, the metal belt buckle hook being just large enough to handle and not requiring me to dig out the tweezers. The process is also a bonding experience with you and your figure; you get to know all of Snake Plissken's wonderful toys while gearing him up.

Before we get to all those wonderful toys, let’s take a look at the star of the show: the Kurt Russell as Snake Plissken head sculpt. I've read some of the criticism online regarding this portrait, and while I will agree that it is not 100% Kurt Russell, there's enough there to where I am happy. The requisite eye patch certainly sells Snake, and the feathered hair is a dead ringer. But yeah, there's just something slightly off. I really think that Kurt's eye isn't squinty enough. Kurt as Snake Plissken always had this Clint Eastwood stern stare about him. Regardless, the head sculpt doesn't bother me like some folks - not even the scar on the side of his face. It's Snake Plissken through and through; it just could have been a little bit more pissed off looking.

As mentioned, Snake comes completely dressed for action. His coat feels to me like real leather (or darn good pleather) and is well-tailored. It's nice and broken in, though it could have used some more distressed weathering to more accurately resemble the screen-worn jacket. The camo pants are also nice, but again they are slightly off. They really need to be hitched up higher on Snake's torso. It was (like) totally a '80s fashion statement. You can hitch them up some, but they tend to slide down too low on his waist (which would be normal in today's fashion world). The underlying muscle shirt is nice and form-fitting and the material is nice and spandex-y. I had a few loose threads at the collar, but it was an easy *snip* fix. Snake even has his cool cobra tattoo if you choose to display him shirtless! Lastly we come to Snake Plissken's boots. Cast in one-piece plastic, the rugged boots have all the intricately sculpted “metal” buckles and shin guards as seen in the movie and they look great. My only complaint is that because they are one-piece, ankle articulation is cut off. Normally this wouldn’t be an issue, but since the boot heels are cast slightly sloping, Snake tends to lean backwards. This makes balancing the figure a bit tricky. Had the boots been cast perfectly flat, or in two pieces allowing for ankle articulation, this would be a non-issue. Thankfully Snake includes a display stand, a simple black hexagonal affair with the subtle hint of the Escape From New York logo (also in black) printed on it.

Ah, but Snake Plissken isn't defined by his flashy wardrobe alone. In order to save the President, Snake needs guns. Included is Snake Plissken's iconic MAC-10 with silencer and scope. Why he ever needed a scope on a short-ranged submachine gun will always baffle me, but darn if it doesn't look cool. The weapon comes unassembled in three components so that if you choose, you can stash all the parts on his holster. Putting it all together is plug-and-play. The gun includes a working receiver and a removable clip, along with two spares that can be placed in his ammo pouch. It's a good-looking gun, my only beef being the distracting glossy paint scheme on the silencer/scope array. It comes across looking very toy-like. Snake also packs his scoped revolver, the pistol too intricate and detailed for its own good. It features a cylinder that swings open (good), but that cylinder can also slide off when swung open (not good). It even includes six teeny tiny bullets that can be removed (read: can be easily lost, especially if the cylinder accidentally falls out). As a final backup, Snake includes three throwing stars. These are a sturdy plastic construction and painted realistically in silver with some black weathering to make them appear metal.

Other goodies include a wealth of important movie props. You get a cigarette (it was cool in the ‘80s), Snake's countdown timer that he can wear on his left wrist (set at 4 hours, 22 minutes to go), the President's tracking device with flip-up eagle head that fits on his right wrist, as well as Snake's homing device (with detailed grid display) and his short-lived radio with telescoping antenna (love that '80's high-tech!). The latter features a clip that allows it to be hooked on Snake's belt. Unfortunately a pouch for the homing device is lacking. Speaking of pouches, these are made of a rubbery plastic and close via a tab and hole. While they look the part and serve their purpose, the pouches are a pain to close properly because of the rubbery material and a few straps are delicate. One of the small strap tabs on my pistol holster broke on my first attempt to shut it.

For those that order the Sideshow Exclusive Snake Plissken, you'll get a bonus cassette tape. Fans of the film will know that retrieving this tape from the President was Snake's primary objective and played - quite literally – a hilarious part at the end of the film. You'll also get a bonus hand that can hold it, alongside all the interchangeable hands Snake already includes. These include pointing, fisted, slightly closed (for the shurikens and cigarette) and one hand for holding the homing device/ radio. Inexplicably, Snake only includes one gun-gripping hand, a shame seeing that he has two firearms. No John Woo for you.

I like this figure, but I don't love it. I'm a huge Escape From New York fan and I am absolutely thrilled that we are finally receiving collectibles based on the movie. As such, Sideshow's One Sixth Scale Snake Plissken Action Figure was a must-own, as I'm sure many will agree. Odds of getting any other action figures based on this classic, but obscure early 80's action hero are slim to none. I'm still shocked we're getting what we're getting. Priced at $159.99, Sideshow's Snake Plissken is well below the average price tag for a one sixth scale collectible these days. That's like $50 below average, and that's a very good thing. But you know the old saying; you get what you pay for. I'm not saying Sideshow produced a bad figure - it has some very good highlights, such as the nice head sculpt, well-tailored clothes and wealth of detailed accessories. But there are also a lot of little issues that all add up. The inferior pouches, stability issues with the boots, the toy-like weapon paint apps. Perhaps I'm being overcritical because the property is so near and dear to me, but I also know that Sideshow is capable of so much more. Snake Plissken is a good figure, but it's not the home run I was anticipating.

Sideshow's One Sixth Scale Snake Plissken Action Figure is available to purchase now priced at $159.99.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of Sideshow Collectibles

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1snakeTOP.jpg 
Views:	4633 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	274542  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.