REVIEW: ADVANCE REVIEW: Mecha Workshop Armarauders Deluxe BELLEROPHON Action Figure

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

ADVANCE REVIEW: Mecha Workshop Armarauders Deluxe BELLEROPHON Action Figure

Modular Mecha Madness...

PLEASE NOTE: This review is for an early Bellerophon production sample and does not fully reflect the final product. Part of the reason for this review, and others like it on the internet, is to gauge fan reaction and to correct any problems that are discovered. Issues, like some loose joints, have already been identified and will be fixed upon the figure's final release. Because this is a production sample, final packaging was not available for review. The toy packaging will play quite a huge role in the final product, acting as a toy stage with two dioramas printed on it. We will update our readers with a review of the final Bellerophon action figure when we receive it later this year.

CLICK HERE FOR OVER 250 NEW PHOTOS OF THE BELLEROPHON!

Dreams do come true. For Singapore-based Mecha Workshop, getting Armarauders from concept to action figure has been on arduous labor of love. The ambitious multi-tiered project started several years ago as a comic (see our story HERE). Created by Valent Wang and Don Figueroa (of Transformers comic fame), the futuristic story tells of mankind's fight against an alien adversary using an army of human-piloted robots. The mecha, taking their name from Greek mythology, are composed of different classes, the main fighting force being the highly customizable Bellerophon. One such mech is helmed by the heroic Cameron "Cam" Knox: the Cam Custom EF-JAT-47FG Bellerophon.

While reminiscent of many mecha-themed stories out there (Robotech springs to my mind), Armarauders stands out from the pack with what is most essential: amazing mecha design. The Cam Custom EF-JAT-47FG Bellerophon isn't just a long fancy name on paper. It's a mech with oodles of personality; a unique way of showcasing the next level in Armarauders' evolution: the toy line.

Photo Courtesy of Mecha Workshop

Arriving third quarter 2015, the Bellerophon Cam Custom action figure kicks off the Armarauders toy line as a deluxe bundle. Produced as a "thank you" to all of Armarauders' faithful comic readers, the package includes a docking station decked out in "comic colors," an Armarauders content DVD, exclusive Issue #01 comic book (variant of online version), first-run exclusive alternate clear head dome for the Bellerophon, and two exclusive diorama backgrounds ("The Battalion’s Charge" and "Testudo Mobile Tank Mech Hangar"). This deluxe introductory package is available for pre-order now at BigBadToyStore.com priced at $254.99. For those with the patience to hold out a little longer, the Bellerophon and docking station will be offered in the future as individual pieces, minus the bonus goodies (and the docking station will be in more muted colors of gray/black).

Ah, but is it all worth it?

MODULAR MECHA MADNESS

According to Mecha Workshop, the Armarauders toy line is "heavily influenced by The Centurions, with a mixture of Transformers, M.A.S.K., G.I. Joe and everything we loved as kids". As a child of the '70s, I see Micronauts all over the Bellerophon. Not because of its appearance, but because of the Bellerophon's fantastic modular design. There is a ton of forward-thinking in the construction of this figure; the Bellerophon's plethora of ports and plugs allowing for numerous upgrades down the road - one of which we'll discuss later on. Clocking in at a robust 9 inches tall, the Bellerophon action figure is a delight to play around with. Hefty die-cast construction ups the play factor, giving you a toy that feels meaty and solid. While some of the ports on the Bellerophon are unique to certain attachments (such as the large shoulder pauldrons - these go on via ball-joints), the majority of the ports are universal allowing for future upgrades and parts swapping on the existing figure. As illustrated in the photo above, most all of the mech's armor can detach and be reinserted in a different location. Want those twin-barreled shoulder cannons on the Bellerophon's wrists? No problem. Back thrusters on the ankles? Make it so.

I'm perfectly happy with the Bellerophon's intended display and personally don't plan to mix-and-match. However, I really appreciate that the option is there. More importantly, the addition of all these ports is pure robo-bliss when it comes to future upgrades. Pictured above are just two (awesome) concept drawings of upgrades I'd love to see happen.

One upgrade collectors can count on is the Pegasus Drone (Fun Factoid: Bellerophon is actually the name of a Greek Hero who first tamed the winged horse, Pegasus.) This triple-changer add-on mech will feature three modes (it's self-controlled by an A.I.): Turret Mode: where it gallops side-by-side, protecting the Bellerophon from the ground; Jet Mode: a standalone jet which protects the Bellerophon from above; and Backpack Mode: where it combines with the Bellerophon giving the mech flight capabilities. There are plans for the Pegasus Drone to also include its own wheeled docking stand; this Part B being able to connect with Bellerophon's hangar display (Part A). As I said, it's all smart and fun forward-thinking - modular, modular, modular. For more concept art of the Pegasus Drone, CLICK HERE.

I LIKE TO MOVE IT, MOVE IT

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself! Back to the Bellerophon and articulation, loads and loads of articulation. Practically everything on this figure moves; most all the joints being useful, though there are a few I could do without. For starters, core hard points like the shoulders are a nice ratchet-style joint allowing for firm and solid posing. As mentioned at the beginning of this review, this is an early production sample and some important joints, such as the ankles, are a tad loose. I have to point that out, but really, just ignore it. Mecha Workshop is fully aware of these loose joints and is in the process of rectifying them all for the figure's final release. When you get your Bellerophon later this year, it will be as if nothing happened. Because it didn't. Let's move on

Take a good look at those hands! Nothing excites me more than articulated fingers on an action figure. It's just so natural.... and expressive! I didn't bother with a juvenile middle finger photo (though I did pose it that way once), but the "tubular" heavy metal sign of awesome pictured above gets my point across. Each individual finger on the Bellerophon is articulated. The thumb even has a side-to-side swivel joint for better weapon-grasping and balled-up fists. Rock on.

Other points of articulation include every armor piece that plugs on. Each part's connector peg acts as a joint, allowing for flexibility. That's all a bit extreme for my tastes, but your mileage may vary. Of particular annoyance to me was the Bellerophon's shoulder pauldrons. While I like how they can swivel around on their ball-joint, they can also swing outward on a hinged joint. I'm sure this was included for a future add-on of some type, but as it is they tend to do their own thing when I'm playing around with the Bellerophon. A small nitpick, as other points, such as individual back thrusters that can swivel all around, are articulation points of love.

My absolute favorite point of articulation (yes, more than the fingers) is the opening cockpit . This feature is so rad and is the gimmick that truly unites pilot and mech; the connection that gives this mecha so much personality. Gently grab the top and bottom of the Bellerophon's bubble chest and pull out. Once extended, the two halves smoothly split open like a clamshell. I must have done this a zillion times, the feature fun and fluid every time. Inside is a control rod that swings forward and two little handles for Cam to hold. There's even a peg on the back of the seat that inserts into Cam's back for a secure fit when closed up and ready to roll. Getting Cam to grab the tiny pegs is a bit of trick, but it can be done. I think most folks will be content in just sitting Cam in there. Regardless, the opening cockpit is a true highlight of this action figure. It reminds me a lot of the video game Titanfall, nothing but a good thing.

YOU CAN CALL ME AL

I really want to talk about the Bellerophon's incredible arsenal of weapons, but I figured this was a good segue to discuss our pilot hero, Cameron Knox. You can him "Cam". Like the Armarauder comic, Cam gives the story that much needed human element. His inclusion also gives the fighting war machine Bellerophon a human element; personality if you will. It isn't called "Cam's Custom" for nothing. Where most toy companies would just have chucked in a static pilot figure, Mecha Workshop put a lot of time and energy in designing the Cam action figure. This little guy can move. Cam also includes loads of accessories, from a backpack that drapes over his shoulders (You'll need to pop his micro head off first. Don't worry, it's all snap-on ball-joints.) and two rotating back thrusters that easily plug on. Cam even comes ready to fight outside of his mech with two rifles that plug into his hands! As an added show of respect, Mecha Workshop includes a clear display base with articulated arm for posing Cam on his own. I would have been content with a simple pegged stand, but the articulated display arm is just wow.

Speaking of stands, Bellerophon packs one too in the form of a deluxe docking station. The piece is comprised of a center display platform with posing arm, flanked by two side platforms that can raise and lower, as well as swivel out. The three sections simply lock together and act as an amazing diorama scene for showing off your Bellerophon action figure (and Cam). Collectors will find guardrails and two computer terminals, along with an extending bridge. The platform pillars rise via a tab located on the inside, each featuring a locking system so that you can adjust them at different heights. Pull the small tab to unlock, push in the small tab to lock.

In another surprise move, Mecha Workshop's modular design comes into play again allowing collectors to detach the two side pillars to use the center base as a separate display base. With the included arm (which plugs into a port in the Bellerophon's, err, butt), fans can place the action figure in a variety of dynamic poses, including jet packing around in flight. As mentioned, the docking station is included with the initial deluxe Bellerophon action figure bundle featuring baby blue comic colors. Mecha Workshop has plans to release the station later on as an individual item painted in more muted colors of gray/black. No word on pricing, so if you want a docking station (and Bellerophon action figure) now, your only option is the deluxe bundle. And trust me, you don't want to wait. Just check out what the Bellerophon comes armed with...

SHOW ME THE MONEY

Ah yeah, this is what I'm talking about. Guns. Missiles. More guns and more missiles! The Bellerophon action figure is a walking, flying beast of future weaponry. First on the list is the standard issue Ares-Class Thunderbolt Dual-Action Rifle with APP (Accelerated Proton Plasma) Cannon, and 380mm Caliber, Recoilless Railgun. You get two of these, one for each hand, for shooting John Woo style. These attach firmly via a peg (on the rifle handle) and hole (figure's palm). Each rifle features a detachable muzzle (that's so you can extend it into long-range cannon mode when the Pegasus Drone releases!), as well as a removable ammo clip. You'll also get four reserve magazines that attach to a clip that can be placed on any of the Bellerophon's many ports (arms, legs). Next you get two Javelin, 500mm Caliber, Omega-Class Long Range Anti-Vehicle Shoulder Cannons. These are the wild guns mounted on the Bellerophon's shoulders (or wherever you want to place them). The barrels on these weapons also remove, though the production sample accidentally had them glued in place. They also rotate all around for 360 degree counter defense. Cool stuff.

The coolest weapon's array is the Hydra Multi-Launch (Medium and Long Range) Missiles System. I'm a sucker for opening missile bays on mecha and the Bellerophon exiles at it with a grand total of six hatches that swing open. SIX. Like the Bellerophon's opening cockpit, swinging wide these missile pod doors really excites me. I can see the Bellerophon in heated combat, all rifle clips empty - shoulder and dual chest cannons depleted - and the enemy moving in for the kill. Surprise! Missiles away. Target down.

But wait, there's more! For up close and personal combat, the Bellerophone wields twin Waster Tri-Blade Energy Blades. These lightsaber-ish glaive weapons each consist of a circular handle and three translucent (and pointy!) energy blades that firmly lock into place. Each Tri-Blade also includes a "holster" for sliding the weapon handles onto and then plugging it all on the Bellerophon's thighs (or arms, or legs). My only small complaint on these exotic cool weapons is that I wish they had a peg and hole system like the rifles so that they can be better handled by the figure. Those articulated fingers do a good job, but it could be better. Still, energized blades, guns AND missiles?! It doesn't get much better than that on a mecha toy.

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS

Sweet size and solid construction - check. Massive amounts of articulation - check. Display stand, pilot and TONS of accessories - check. But does it look good? Why yes, yes it does. What amazes me about the Bellerophon is its unique design. Sure, there's some Gundam and a smattering of other mecha properties in there if you look hard enough. But really, the Bellerophon is an exciting new mecha design of its own. That's a very hard thing to accomplish with so much mecha history already out there. Best of all it looks killer. The Bellerophon is a streamlined mech, more curves than sharp angles, but the option to bulk it out with future upgrades truly excites me. It's almost like a Macross Valkyrie in that respect. Even as an agile, lithe mech, the Bellerophon has this super strong profile. Part of that is the eyeless domed head. I absolutely love that look on a robot. What's neat here is that fans have the option of removing the solid head dome and replacing it with the exclusive clear dome that's included with the deluxe bundle. I'm really torn at which look I like better, though I'm leaning towards the clear. It shows off those fabulous mechanical inner workings.

I'd also like to point out that the color scheme for the Bellerophon is NOT white. This was something extremely hard to photograph, but the entire mecha is more of a purplish off-white. It's kind of hard to explain, but similar in concept to Robocop's unusual purple-blue hue, only Bellerophon is this purple-white. Follow? Once you see it in person you'll totally understand... and love it! Other color details are your traditional black/ gun metal gray mecha components, such as the hands, joints, etc. These are all cast in plastic, but don't come across looking plasticky. The neatest deco details on the Bellerophon are all the teeny tiny warning labels and insignia. These are all crisp and clear tampo stamps and they go a long way in adding hyper-realism to the figure. They also provide subtle clues to how certain armor components should plug in. If the "Caution" label is upside down, then you have the part upside down.

LOCK 'N LOAD

I could talk all day about this figure. When Mecha Workshop first announced plans for an Armarauders toy line several years ago, I had my doubts that it'd ever see the light of day. The concept was extremely ambitious, and I've seen my fair share of start-ups come and go due to lack of funding and support. Mecha Workshop, however, has thankfully proven me wrong. Not only have they produced an actual toy from the ground up, but this toy exceeds my expectations on all levels. The Bellerophon is top-notch mecha action figure engineering and design and the forward-thinking involved in it's modular creation is brilliant. Like Mecha Workshop's Armarauders property, the Bellerophon action figure allows collectors to grow and expand with the brand.

$254.99 may seem like a lot of money, and it is. However, the deluxe Bellerophon bundle is certainly on par with similar import mecha toys on the market today. And considering that this is the first action figure release from a brand new toy company, that price is made even more impressive. Also keep in mind that this is the initial release of the Bellerophon action figure. Mecha Workshop is celebrating its debut in a grand fashion, but will be offering the Bellerophon on its own (at a yet-to-be announced date and price) at a later time. Toy Fair even gave us a sneak peek at the Bellerophon in black! But who wants to wait? I don’t know about you, but I want my Bellerophon action figure NOW. If this review got you all excited about owning this toy, think about how I feel. I got to play around with the production sample... and then had to send it back. That's okay; we'll anticipate getting the Bellerophon figure together... it's going to be so worth the wait.

Fans can find out more about Armarauders at the official website: www.armarauders.com.

Pre-order the deluxe Bellerophon action figure bundle now at BigBadToyStore.com.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Early Review Sample Provided By Mecha Worhshop

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Btop.jpg 
Views:	5691 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	273662  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 03-31-2015 at 07:08 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.