REVIEW: REVIEW: Hot Toys 1:6 Predator 2 - ELDER PREDATOR 2.0

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Hot Toys 1:6 Predator 2 - ELDER PREDATOR 2.0

A Classic Returns New and Improved...

My, how times have changed. The last time collectors received the Elder Predator from Hot Toys was way back in 2003, a very different time where all Hot Toys figures required you to assemble them. And I'm not talking about simply gearing up the figure with weapons and accessories. No, these were dark days that required you to actually place the limbs on the body and actually dress the figure up in clothing (in the case of the Predators, that included the body netting, armor... the whole enchilada). A company can learn a lot in twelve years, so much so that Hot Toys has decided to revisit many of their past releases and update them for old and new collectors alike.

The Elder Predator is one of those updated releases, the addition of "Version 2.0" by retailers and fans separating it from the older figure. To Hot Toys, it is simply the Elder Predator Movie Masterpiece 233; one hundered and eight-five figures after Elder Predator MMS48 first saw release. While I do not own the original to compare, the most obvious difference is that the newer Elder Predator - as well as all new Hot Toys figures - come fully assembled and dressed ready to go right out of the box. There is some small fussing about in draping the beaded trophy knecklaces over the Predator's head and getting the satchel bag over its shoulder, but the days of popping on limbs and placing on delicate body netting are long gone.

As mentioned, I don't have the original to compare, however I have viewed side-by-side comparions online. Noticeable changes include a tighter paint job and tweaked sculpt on the newer version, along with the addition of a sword sheath and wrist claws lacking on the original. The latter, I might add, are real metal and insert simply by plugging them into the gauntlet holes. The sword, however, is plastic, just like the original. If you ask me, Hot Toys missed a great opportunity to upgrade the sword to real metal. There is also a slight size difference with the older version actually being taller.

So while differences exist between the two figures, it primarily boils down to how screen-accurate you prefer your collectibles. The new Elder Predator has the edge there, but the older Elder Predator appears to be no slouch. The biggest thing here is that Hot Toys is giving fans the opportunity to own this amazing Predator figure without paying outrageous secondary market prices for the original. Or are they? Ironically, 1:6th scale figure prices have gone up drastically since 2003, the original Elder Predator retailing for around $130 back then whereas the newer version will cost you about $220 now. Still, given the choice, my money is on the Elder Predator 2.0. It's a fantastic Predator design which has only been made better by Hot Toys' talented team.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor
    Review Sample Courtesy of Hot Toys

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elderUSE2.jpg 
Views:	6134 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	256632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elderVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	12451 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	256642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elderGEAR.jpg 
Views:	4372 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	256652  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 01-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.