REVIEW: FIRST LOOK! REVIEW: NECA Pacific Rim 18" CHERNO ALPHA

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

FIRST LOOK! REVIEW: NECA Pacific Rim 18" CHERNO ALPHA

Come To Daddy. My Favorite Jaeger Gets Supersized...

I love all the giant robots in Pacific Rim, but my absolute favorite is the Mark-1 Russian Jaeger, Cherno Alpha. When at long last NECA released the Cherno Alpha as part of their third assortment of 8" action figures (read my review HERE), I let out a huge sigh of relief - my collection was complete. Ah, but was it? Around the same time NECA made it known that they would be super-sizing the Cherno as part of their towering 18 inch figure series. How could I resist? Priced at $99.99, the 18" Cherno Alpha does not come cheap. However, to own a Pacific Rim Jaeger (especially your favorite!) at this scale in such detailed, articulated toy form is a jaw-dropping experience. To me it's well worth the investment (which let’s face it, is far cheaper than 12" action figures on the market today... and it's almost twice the size!).

Okay, we have established that the Cherno Alpha is big. But a big action figure can mean many different things to people. Giant hollow, roto-cast toys come to mind. Kid-friendly plasticky playthings. Well if you are new to my reviews - and to NECA's line of 18" action figures in general (shame on you!) - then let me explain. These are NECA's 7-8" scale action figures made bigger and better. It is as simple as that. If you loved a particular character in NECA's smaller action figure size, then you are going to L-O-V-E that character in 18 inches. No corners are cut on sculpt, articulation and paint. In fact, NECA adds more on all the above.

Cherno Alpha's sculpt on this scale is awesome. The tiny insignia stamps on NECA's small Cherno were impressive, but at 18 inches tall, NECA has the freedom to cut loose. Most impressive is the sculpted battle-scarred right fist - a cool detail that isn't seen on the smaller figure. Finely sculpted panel lines, however, are what really make the larger figure standout. Looking at the two figures next to me shows a world of difference - just TONS of panel lines not seen on the 8" toy - all of them making the 18" Cherno that much more realistic. Paint-wise, both figures are incredible, NECA having mastered weathered paint apps way back with their Gears of War figures. Their 18" Cherno edges out his smaller cousin, however, bringing a little bit more realism with lots more silver burnished edges. Regardless, my point is the paint apps on the 18" Cherno - like the smaller figure - are remarkable, and in no way make this collectible appear cheap or plasticky. It's like a giant professionally-painted model kit... that weighs a ton and moves.

Articulation is another area that NECA excels at on their big figures. Aside from hyper-detail, it's the inclusion of many useful joints that separate NECA's 18" collectible figures from cheaply produced mass-market toys. Everything on the smaller Cherno is here, including a ball-jointed head, shoulders, thighs and feet, as well as hinged elbows and knees. What is really great is that all these joints (except the head, more on that in a bit) are extremely tight and firm. Not overly tight, mind you, but those fearing the Cherno Alpha shelf-diving can relax. Combined with broad, sturdy feet, the Cherno stands solid. One would think that the figure would be top-heavy due to the Cherno's massive power reactor "head". However, the "head" (the Cherno's cockpit is actually in its chest) is a lighter, hollowed out plastic. This was done not only to make the figure less top-heavy, but to allow the light-up electronics to fit inside (more on that neat feature later). The ball-jointed "head" was a little loose on my figure, nothing terrible, but enough to where it annoyed me whenever I went to pose it. Since the Cherno didn't move his "head" in the movie, I simply glued mine in place facing forwards - problem solved. I always found it odd that NECA added a neck joint on the Cherno Alpha to begin with, but the option is nice for those that want a more dynamic display.

Also on the articulation scene, the Cherno Alpha features opening and closing claws, as well as its signature "power punch" move. To enable the latter, just pull the forearm forward until the pistons are revealed. BAM! Kaiju down.

Lastly we come to what I like to call a bonus feature: the Cherno Alpha's light-up gimmick. You see, at this point I am fully content in this towering toy. It's huge, it looks killer and it can be posed. But hey, if NECA wants to give me more bang for my buck, who am I to argue? Like their 18" Gipsy Danger (read my review HERE), the 18" Cherno Alpha stars multiple lights. The first trio of illumination is located in the head. Press one of the nicely concealed round sculpted details on the top of the Cherno's head to trigger a blue uni-eye and two yellow spotlights on its shoulders. Cool beans.

The other lights can be found in the Cherno's chest and activated by pushing a button on its back. Where are these lights you may ask? Why under the four opening hatches! Yes, this is truly a surprise feature not seen on the small figure, one that actually makes me want to activate the lights just to play around with those portal doors. The kid in me wishes these were missile launchers, but hey, lights in night combat are practical too. Love that whole mid-section on the Cherno with the cockpit pop of orange and four glowing spotlights. Wicked.

You sold yet? You should be. If you are a fan of the Cherno Alpha like I am, then purchasing NECA's 18" Cherno Alpha action figure is a no-brainer. This is awesome times two - nearly twice the size of a 1:6th scale action figure at half the price. How NECA can make these figures so reasonably priced is beyond me. The 18" Cherno Alpha releases next month in November and pre-orders are still available at many fine retailers, such as BigBadToyStore.com. I can't understand how the 18" Gipsy Danger sold out so quickly (prompting a second run) and this cool Jaeger hasn't yet. I like the Gipsy, but common! It's the Cherno Alpha gang!

Oh, and in case you missed the news, at New York Comic Con held earlier this month NECA confirmed that the Striker Eureka will be their next 18" Pacific Rim Jaeger figure. Australia represent!

Miss my past NECA Pacific Rim figure reviews?

All Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Samples Courtesy of NECA

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1chernoTOP.jpg 
Views:	467 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	242372  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 10-31-2014 at 04:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.