REVIEW: FIRST LOOK! REVIEW: NECA's Pacific Rim Series 4

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

FIRST LOOK! REVIEW: NECA's Pacific Rim Series 4

Tacit Ronin and "Hong Kong Brawl" Gipsy Danger Join The Fight...

NECA was kind enough to provide us with early production samples of their latest Pacific Rim action figure wave. In stores this November, this assortment focuses squarely on the Jaegers - the hero robots of the epic 2013 sci-fi film (of which TWO new sequels were just announced!). Jaegers in this wave include a new and improved "Hong Kong Brawl" Gipsy Danger, the figure sporting finer sculpted details, interchangeable fists and ship that the robot can wield in battle like a giant club! Most exciting is the arrival of an all-new, heavily fan-requested Jaeger: the Tacit Ronin. Shown very briefly in the beginning of the movie, this "prologue Jaeger" will excite collectors with its two extending arm blades and sleek good looks.

Like past Pacific Rim figure releases, the Tacit Ronin and new Gipsy Danger arrive in sturdy and attractive clam shell packaging. Far from being generic, the paper insert for each figure comes loaded with personalized information on the front and back. Stats include the fact that these are Jaegers and not Kaiju (as represented by the Pan Pacific Defense Corps logo), each Jaeger's "Mark Status" (Tacit Ronin is the first Mark-1 Japanese Jaeger, while Gipsy Danger is an American Mark-3, one of the oldest Jaegers still in active combat after Cherno Alpha.), number of Kaiju kills (Tacit Ronin has a measly three, Gipsy an impressive ten), as well as unique artwork and the figure's name.

Something I have always appreciated on a figure's packaging is a sneak peek at future figures. In this case collectors can look forward to another exciting prologue Jaeger, Romeo Blue, along with a battered and bruised "Anchorage Attack" Gipsy Danger. For those curious about Horizon Brave which was shown at San Diego Comic-Con HERE, that figure is scheduled for release in the wave after Romeo Blue and "Anchorage Attack" Gipsy. I love that particular design and can't wait for its arrival (it reminds me of Mattel's old Shogun Warrior's Poseidon die-cast figure I grew up with and still have today.)

TACIT RONIN

NECA's last major Pacific Rim figure assortment - Series 3 to most collectors (although technically these figures have never been labeled by series) - gave us the remaining main Jaegers in the movie. I would have been content with that (as long as I have my Cherno!), but the popularity of this line has allowed NECA to go above and beyond the norm. Already we've seen a deluxe figure of the Kaiju Scunner unleashed, with an even larger figure of Kaiju Otachi on the way. With Pacific Rim Series 4, NECA is finding the freedom to release blink-and-you-missed-them cameo characters, as well as scene-specific toys. We're getting into stuff usually reserved for mega-toy franchises like Star Wars (i.e.: Ice Cream Man!). Tacit Ronin is one of those blink-and-you-missed-them cameo characters shown in the film's opening prologue scene. I think it's the mystery of the character that attracted so many fans. Just how cool would it be if this Jaeger actually fought in the movie? And while only briefly seen, the Tacit Ronin's awesome good looks are on permanent display in the book Pacific Rim: Man, Machines, and Monsters. Now fans can own the Tacit Ronin as an awesome action figure.

Unlike mighty bruisers like the Cherno Alpha, the 7-inch tall Tacit Ronin features a trim, agile design. Speed is the name of the game for this Jaeger, the Tacit Ronin's mobility allowing it to get in close for rapid strikes with its two arm-mounted blades. Where the blades on NECA's Striker Eureka figure simply scissored out from the wrist, the swords on the Tacit Ronin are fully retractable. Divided into three articulated sections, the hard plastic blades can collapse almost completely into the arm, or they can be extended for battle with a few careful tugs. I knew this figure had arm blades, but the ability to retract and pull them out took me completely off guard. Collectors are going to love it. The Tacit Ronin also features much improved body articulation over its bladed Striker Eureka cousin. There’s a ball-jointed head, ball-jointed shoulders, hinged elbows, swivel wrists (I like how one hand is fisted and the other open. They give you some dynamic combat poses.), a very slight swivel at the waist (I wish it was more, but I was afraid to force it. It gets the job done.), slight movement at the thighs (NECA was limited to the Jaeger's unusual piston design), hinged knees, and most welcome, ball-swivel ankles. The latter lets you strike some solid display stances, otherwise those thin feet would cause some balancing issues.

While not one of the four main Jaegers seen in the movie, the Tacit Ronin should have been. This Jaeger leaves a lasting impression with its sleek profile and awesome weaponry - the perfect addition to NECA's Pacific Rim action figure line. Tacit Ronin is going to be a hit with Pacific Rim collectors and fans of cool robot toys in general.

GIPSY DANGER "HONG KONG BRAWL"

NECA's Series 2 Gipsy Danger was a huge improvement over the Series 1 release. Not only did it feature a nicer battle worn paint job (in my humble opinion), but the much-needed addition of two wrist blades made it the Gipsy Danger figure to own. So how can NECA top that? Easily. While many collectors will dismiss the new "Hong Kong Brawl" Gipsy Danger as a simple re-release with added accessories, the figure is anything but. Retooled from the ground up, this new Gipsy features tons of new features, the most obvious being a more movie-accurate height (8 inches tall or 3.4% larger). Articulation has also been greatly improved from the stiff figure of old. NECA added greater posability in the thighs, more flexibility in the legs (double knee joints), and altered the way the feet move (the forward toe section is now hinged as opposed to the heel).

The biggest difference, however, is in the sculpt. As mentioned, this a newly retooled figure. Closely comparing the Series 2 Gipsy with the new "Hong Kong Brawl" Gipsy shows many, many differences in sculpt. Where do I start? For beginners, panel lines not seen on the previous Gipsy are sculpted here in fine detail. I'm talking lines all over the place: shoulders, neck guard, chest, grooves around the reactor core, vents on the face, etc. etc. In particular, the thigh section has been radically overhauled. You'll note the addition of pistons now and the disc joints that used to face forwards are now accurately positioned sideways. Paint apps have also been enhanced; insignia stamps are now much crisper, the orange reactor glow is nice and bright, and the overall Gipsy Danger's color palette finds the perfect medium ground between Series 1's pristine and Series 2's battle worn look.

As if all that wasn't enough, NECA completes this figure with cool added accessories. First there is the inclusion of a wrist blade. Two blades would have been nice, but with the addition of a massive ship to wield as a club, I don't think many collectors will find the need to pose him with two blades. The ship, as seen with the Gipsy Danger's epic fight with Otachi, is the standout accessory with this figure. I recall seeing the first trailer with the Gipsy Danger stomping down a city street dragging a ship and using it as a weapon. It blew me away. To recreate this scene, NECA includes two sets of interchangeable hands: fisted and open. The open hand is what you need to use to hold the ship, and how NECA enabled this feature is genius. After admiring all the fine detail on the ocean liner you'll note five holes in the crumpled hull. Simply slide the Gipsy's five fingers into them for a great grip. Brilliant! NECA could have easily made the hand permanently attached to the ship, but now you can have the boat/club accessory in a display without any unsightly distractions.

I'm sure by now most Pacific Rim collectors already own a Gipsy Danger or two. As such, I am sure many will bypass this new and improved version and focus squarely on the amazing Tacit Ronin. Fair enough. However, serious fans of the Gipsy Danger will appreciate the work NECA put into this new figure. Instead of just re-releasing the Pacific Rim star to please retail and casual collectors, NECA went all out to make this version of the Gipsy Danger definitive and special. And Tacit Ronin... that's fan service. To release such an obscure movie character speaks volumes of NECA's dedication to the line. It also shows just how popular the Pacific Rim figure series has become. Keep them coming NECA, Pacific Rim 2 and 3 are just around the corner.

Miss my past NECA Pacific Rim figure reviews?

All Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Samples Courtesy of NECA

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4907.JPG 
Views:	9156 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	241692  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 10-29-2014 at 02:24 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.