REVIEW: REVIEW: Dark Horse GAME OF THRONES Figures - Series 4

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Dark Horse GAME OF THRONES Figures - Series 4

Cersei, Jaime and the Eagerly Awaited White Walker...

It seems just like yesterday that fans received the third wave of Game of Thrones figures from Dark Horse (read our review HERE). Actually is was last month, still an impressive turnaround for the release of this fourth figure assortment. Where Series 3 focused on House Stark, Series 4 delivers fans the Lannisters, specifically the cringe-inducing incestuous brother/sister duo of Cersei Baratheon (her married name - yes, it is awkward) and Jaime Lannister. Cersei was and still is a character fans love to hate, though Jaime's honorable transformation has placed him squarely on my "like" list. To top things off, Dark Horse gives Game of Thrones fans the long anticipated release of a White Walker. Four seasons in and we still don't know much about these mysterious zombie-like creatures. Here's hoping Season 5 clears things up. Dark Horse's Game of Thrones Series 4 figures are in-stock now at many fine retailers priced at a SRP of $22.99 each.

By now I've established that I really like the packaging for this series. Sophisticated, the closed window box each figure comes in does an excellent job of showcasing the character and the collectible inside. Collectors will also appreciate how each pack is collector-friendly, allowing you to take out the figure for shelf display or return it to its plastic tray for an unopened presentation. The latter looks terrific when the character photos on the side of each box are lined up.

Cersei is the widow of King Robert Baratheon and Queen Regent of the Seven Kingdoms. She's also the mother of Joffrey, the vile byproduct of her incestuous relationship with her younger twin brother, Jaime Lannister. Like Joffrey, Cersei Baratheon is one of those characters on Game of Thrones you despise. Unlike Joffrey, she's unfortunately still alive to annoy the heck out viewers. At least Cersei and Jaime aren't still going to town - that whole thing was quite disturbing. No, thankfully Jaime has risen above all that, as I'll touch on later, leaving Cersei one of the few characters on the show for fans to hate.

Cersei isn't all bad, however. She is wonderfully portrayed by Lena Headey, her likeness wonderfully captured by Dark Horse on the figure. It's all about the cocky, mischievous slant of her eyebrows. A really good portrait, one of Dark Horse's best. And that's a good thing because otherwise the Cersei figure would just be some obscure woman of royalty, albeit one featuring an exquisitely painted and sculpted gown (love the intricate details on the sleeves). This is a figure for fans of the character (are there any?), the actress (I concede, there's plenty there), or those looking to complete their Dark Horse Game of Thrones collection. I admire Dark Horse adding variety to the line, and Cersei IS a large character on the show. Alas the figure doesn't have that cross appeal like others, such as the barbarian warrior Drogo or monstrous White Walker. Only serious Game of Thrones fans need apply. The Cersei figure stands 8 1/2" tall atop a granite gray base.

Jaime Lannister started off as a character you disliked. I think it had a lot to do with his romance with Cersei. Regardless, Jaime has moved on to be a character I actually like. His recent actions in helping free his brother Tyrion had a good chunk to do with that, though I began liking Jaime (and feeling sorry for him) during his travels as a prisoner with Brienne of Tarth. The two made for some great character interaction on the show. Jaime is expertly played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who I often confuse with Aaron Eckhart of Two-Face fame. Check out THIS COMPARISON PHOTO and tell me otherwise. Spooky.

Dark Horse depicts Jaime is his prime dressed as a knight of the Kingsguard. The detail on Jaime's armor is the best work Dark Horse has done on this figure series; every ornate detail and scaled plate sculpted to perfection. Jaime's sword, like previous figures in the line, is two pieces: the blade is a separate piece that must be placed on the handle. Mine shows some slight warping, a pet peeve of mine, but I'm sure it can be straightened out using the boiling water method. Cast in hard plastic, the sword is still a great looking weapon, down to the elegant pommel. I suspect this will be a very popular figure in the series, if nothing else for the incredible armor captured here. But hey, it's Jaime Lannister, a character to keep an eye out on the show. Jaime stands tall at 8 1/2" on a sandy brown base.

Ah, the White Walker. We haven't seen much of these creatures on the show, but that hasn't stopped collectors from wanting them in figure form. They're cool looking ice zombies and that's all that matters. I suspect the White Walkers will play a significant role in the series soon enough, a plot twist no one saw coming. Their impending arrival will certainly change the course of the civil war for the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms.

The White Walker is an imposing figure, clocking in tall at 9 inches. Like Jon Snow from series one, the Walker stands on a white snowy base. A spear is clutched in both hands, the thrusting point cast in an icy translucent plastic, an awesome effect. The sculpt work on the White Walker's shriveled flesh is most impressive, the abundance of wrinkles and folds lending the figure an ancient undead appearance. The skin sculpting and gray/white paint apps work extremely well with leather garments, the latter looking like real cow hide, stitched and worn. Best of all is the malevolent expression. With piercing blue eyes, the White Walker appears intent on getting its way... and killing anybody in its way. To me it's a three-way tie between Drogo (barbarian warrior, what's not to love?), Jaime (incredible armor), and the White Walker (way cool creature) as the strongest releases in the Dark Horse series so far.

And what a series it’s been! Since Dark Horse's Game of Thrones line started earlier this year, we've already been treated to ten (10) expertly sculpted characters - five of those in the last two months. 2015 shows no signs of slowing down. Already announced: Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish (not sure what to make of him yet), Joffrey Baratheon (boo!), Tywin Lannister (hiss!) and a deluxe figure in Hodor and Bran ("Hodor!" I had to say it). Bring them on... and Game of Thrones Season 5!

CLICK HERE FOR OVER 160 NEW PHOTOS!

Miss our past Dark Horse Game of Thrones figure reviews?

- CLICK HERE for Dark Horse GAME OF THRONES Figures Series 1!

- CLICK HERE for Dark Horse GAME OF THRONES Figures Series 2!

- CLICK HERE for Dark Horse GAME OF THRONES Figures Series 3!

Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Samples Courtesy of Dark Horse

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4828.JPG 
Views:	6931 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	240562  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 04-23-2015 at 05:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.