REVIEW: REVIEW: ACI's 1:6 Greek Hoplite (Black Helmet Transverse Crest)

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: ACI's 1:6 Greek Hoplite (Black Helmet Transverse Crest)

Move Over Romans, There's A New Ancient Army In Town...

ACI Toys has established a long, respectible track record in producing accurate 1:6th scale action figures pulled from history. Brutal gladiators and the Roman Empire have been the main focus for many years now, but 2014 sees ACI shaking things up with the introduction of Ancient Greeks. Four versions of 1:6 Greek Hoplites will be releasing soon, all featuring different helmets and color schemes. There is your classic bronze and silver, as well as two warriors donning black helmets: one with a J-style crest, the other featured in our review today wearing a transverse crest. I hope you got your pre-orders in for these back when they were first announced HERE, because ACI's new 1:6th scale Greek Hoplites sold out fast at many retailers. Each figure is priced at around $180 - $200 and they can still be had at through Cotswold Collectibles. For international orders, visit ACI's "Where to Buy" webpage HERE.

ACI's use of gorgeously illustrated fifth panel boxes continues with the Greek Hoplite series. Package construction is durable and the use of a magnetic clasp for the flap is a touch of class. Like the packaging for the Romans, the art on the front may not represent the figure in hand (the Greek Hoplite - Black Helmet/ J Crest is shown), but it does a nice job of representing the entire series. Equally attractive is the continued use of an inner cardboard insert, the art here showing three of the Greek Hoplite offerings posed in battle. The insert also acts as a great protective sleeve to the figure and accessories stowed beneath.

The back of the box and inner flap display a wealth of information, including a full list of included accessories and a small history lesson on the Ancient Greek army. Great stuff and over all a class act presentation.

As mentioned, the figure and included gear come safely stacked on two plastic trays located beneath the inner cardboard insert. After my ordeal with the cool, but frustrating to dress Roman Legionary (read my review HERE), I expected the worse when removing the Greek Hoplite. I am very happy to report that kitting up your Greek soldier for display is an extremely painless affair. Almost everything your Hoplite needs for war - including his body armor and sandals (YES!) - are already on the figure. No need for building shoes the size of your thumb with tweezers and bucket loads of patience. Did ACI actually take my last review to heart? I think that this company does indeed listen to collectors and their concerns, the changes made with the Greek Hoplite leave no other explaination. THANK YOU ACI!

About the only thing you need to fiddle with on the Greek Hoplite is its hands. Swapping them out is exactly like previous figure releases - carefully pop off the hand you want to replace and apply a hot hairdryer to soften the hole in the hand you want to use. I still wish ACI would go with posts already attached to the interchangable hands for an easier swap (and less stress on the one post included), but I must say this method does work and the fit is at least a tight one. That's a pretty big deal, especially when dealing with heavy real-metal weapons. Hands included are the usual suspects of fisted, splayed open, pointing and weapon/shield grasping.

Ah, but back to those amazing real-metal weapons! The Greek Hoplite includes a sword and scabbard (the latter which drapes across his chest - no belt buckles to mess with) as well as a doru, or spear. While I expected the sword to be metal, the spear took me by surprise. I mean the entire spear - staff and tips - are cast in metal! Because of this, getting the Greek Hoplite in a thrusting pose can be a bit of a balancing issue, but the spear looks phenomenal grasped by his side.

To complete the Greek Hoplite's battle-ready attire, ACI packs a plastic shield and a Corinthian helmet. This partiular Hopelite features a very cool transverse crest with a black, white and red checkered plume. I'm more fond of the vertical plumes on helmets, but the horizontal appearance of the transverse crest is really growing on me. Collectors must attach the plume to the helmet, a process where a small peg on the crest plugs into a hole on the helmet. Be extremely careful when doing this, as the plastic post - while thick - is still fragile plastic. A metal screw post would have gone a long way in alleviating any concerns, but as it is the connection is tight and firm.

In closing, ACI Toys' addition of 1:6th scale Greek Holites to their already amazing series of Ancient Romans is a very welcome addition. ACI is listening to collectors and making improvements with each new figure release, their Greek Hoplites an accumulation of techniques learned, experimented with and mastered. Great news is that this Greek series is far from over, as a Thracian General has recently been announced (think 300, see our story HERE). The Roman Empire isn't done with either, with new additions being a cool Roman Centurion (HERE).

If you're a fan of fantastic historical figures from battles long ago, ACI Toys is definitely where it's at. Grab a Greek while you can...

Photos and Review by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of ACI

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekTOP.JPG 
Views:	24327 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	219422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekPACK.jpg 
Views:	3935 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	219432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekPACK2.jpg 
Views:	3959 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	219442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekGEAR1.jpg 
Views:	4933 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	219452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	9543 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	219462  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekWEAPONS.jpg 
Views:	6777 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	219472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekHELMET.jpg 
Views:	13842 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	219482   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1greekEND.jpg 
Views:	4938 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	219492  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 08-08-2014 at 12:16 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.