REVIEW: REVIEW: Nevermore Toys Legendary Monsters MISSOURI MONSTER

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Nevermore Toys Legendary Monsters MISSOURI MONSTER

Kickstarter-Funded Toys Come To Life...

There are some pretty cool monsters lurking in the shadows of the modern world, kept alive through stories and folklore. These are creatures like the Slenderman, Sasquatch, Chupacabra, and others. And while these are interesting legends with fanciful and horrific appearances, not a lot of them have made their way into toy lines. That’s changing lately, and one of the leaders in the field of cryptozoological toys is Richard Broadwater, the mastermind behind Nevermore Toys (nevermoretoys.com) and Legendary Monsters (and designer of many toy lines and video games).

Launched on Kickstarter last year (kickstarter.com/projects/1336904045/legendary-monsters-0), the Legendary Monsters campaign sought to bring four of these creatures to plastic in fully painted and articulated figures, and thanks to over 220 backers pledging over $16,000 they are becoming a reality. The lineup of this first series included the Jersey Devil, Mothman, Chupacabra, and Missouri Monster, which I recently received.

The Missouri Monster comes in a wooden crate-style package that looks pretty darn good. On the front panel is artwork of the creature, with a lineup of all four from this series on one side. The back panel has the real life history of the Missouri Monster legend and a link sending you to the work in progress website for Nevermore Toys. Inside, the figure is attached by twist ties to a simple cardboard insert. As part of a way to expand interest in the line beyond just toy collectors, Broadwater also made the Legendary Monsters into a game; each figure comes with a high quality card so you can fight other creatures.

I will admit that I was hesitant about the quality of a toy created through Kickstarter, but I’m very happy with the Missouri Monster. It stands at a respectable 5 ½ inches tall and has a really cool look to it, kinda Bigfoot-esque but with a lean build, long limbs, and a very distinctive neck-less head.

The sculpt is solid, basically consisting of an allover fur texture with plenty of variations in length and thickness on different body parts. I especially like the long, feathered areas around the hands and feet, and the face, despite being mostly a mass of hair, has lots of character. The Missouri Monster is almost entirely a dark grayish color (that ain’t so easy to photograph) with some subtle shading, and nice hand painted details include its red eyes and blood splatter on its chest.

The figure has surprisingly good articulation as well, featuring ball-jointed shoulders plus joints at the elbows, hips, knees, and ankles. Thanks to big, heavy feet the Monster is very stable and can hold poses quite well. The only real issue I had is that on mine the shoulder joints are a bit loose, but as you can see from the photos it’s still poseable and can most likely be fixed with home remedies.

If you’re a fan of cryptids or monster figures and you missed out on the Legendary Monsters Kickstarter, you should probably give these guys a look. As very limited run, hand painted figures they’re not cheap at $25, but I’m really digging my “Momo.” It has a great look and nice articulation, and it nicely towers over figures in 3 ¾ scale or blends in with 5 inchers. I can’t wait for my Jersey Devil, and I’ll be watching future Nevermore Toys releases with great interest.

Review and Photos by Scott Rubin

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Anime-Island.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster11.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	180992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster12.JPG 
Views:	412 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	181002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster13.JPG 
Views:	536 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	181012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster14.JPG 
Views:	479 
Size:	277.4 KB 
ID:	181022   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster15.JPG 
Views:	354 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	181032  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster16.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	181042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster18.JPG 
Views:	4390 
Size:	360.5 KB 
ID:	181052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster19.JPG 
Views:	9276 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	181062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster20.JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	181072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster21.JPG 
Views:	440 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	181082  

Name:	1missPACK.jpg 
Views:	5057 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	181092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1missPACK2.jpg 
Views:	4740 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	181102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1missVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	6270 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	181112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster17.JPG 
Views:	7480 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	180882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster01.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	334.0 KB 
ID:	180892  

Name:	missourimonster02.JPG 
Views:	356 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	180902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster03.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	180912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster04.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	180922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster05.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	180932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster06.JPG 
Views:	437 
Size:	310.1 KB 
ID:	180942  

Name:	missourimonster07.JPG 
Views:	484 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	180952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster08.JPG 
Views:	18822 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	180962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster09.JPG 
Views:	472 
Size:	405.2 KB 
ID:	180972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missourimonster10.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	180982  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up Re: REVIEW: Nevermore Toys Legendary Monsters MISSOURI MONSTER

As one of those 220 backers, it's an amazing feeling to see this toy and know that I helped make it happen. I've wanted this line ever since I first saw it right here on Figures.com over a decade ago. And now it's finally here!!

Hats off to Nevermore for never, ever giving up on this line. I hope this will encourage others who had great designs & ideas but not the retailer support or money to pull it off and inspire them to maybe give the Kickstarter crowdfunding route a try too (*cough* I'm talkin' to people like you, Wheaty Wheat Studios with yer "Girlz 'n' Monsterz" line, hint, hint ).

I ordered the full set of these, but this one is actually a little too small for my collection. So I'd love to see Nevermore do a campaign for an upscaled 9" version of this Missouri Monster too. I would DEFINITELY buy that!

Re: REVIEW: Nevermore Toys Legendary Monsters MISSOURI MONSTER

Awesome post thank you for sharing https://www.viralgrowthmedia.com/

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I love the concept!

The Monster is highly steady and adept at maintaining positions because of its large, massive feet. arborist near me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.