Plastic Aging Question

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Plastic Aging Question

I have an odd plastic aging question. I’ve had figures that change color over the years but I’ve had some strangeness in some cases that maybe someone has an answer for. I keep my figures both on display in cabinets with no direct sunlight and in plastic totes when stored and I’ve had several of them get this odd coloring change. It only happens on the color blue and in each case the plastic has a different feel so it‘s not the same sort of plastic being used. The only thing in common is the color blue. It gets like white splotches of discoloring on the blue like the pigment has had some sort of chemical reaction on a molecular level to bleach the pigment but unevenly. It just looks like white splotches. I’ve had one PVC do this on the blue pants, my Esmeralda vinyl Doll and my Genie vinyl doll from Applause both did it on the blue, and a few other figures I know I’m forgetting. What causes it and why does it happen? Is there a way to prevent it?

I’ve also had one figure have the paint turn wet. On a Thinkway boxing Woody figure from 1996 the paint on his hands became wet. What causes that?

I hope someone has an answer for some of my questions.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Plastic Aging Question

It's from the Chinese putting toxins in the plastics. They're highly toxic, man. The Muppet line is especially prone to breaking down. That's what's going on with your Thinkway Woody. As the plastivs break down the figure becomes tacky becausethe plastics are unstable. Everyone should be aware of this issue with their figure collections. I wonder if figure insurance covers this?

Re: Plastic Aging Question

Sorry to hear about your problem. I wonder if you need to put the plastic toys in the sun then it may be dried. I wound like to choose statues if it is this case

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.