Movies/TV/Games: BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cat Sh1t One - The Animated Series

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cat Sh1t One - The Animated Series

Heavily-armed rabbits kickin' all sorts of butt in this new animated series...

For a great selection of film and TV action figures and collectibles, check out fine sponsors BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, ToyDorks.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, SmallJoes.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

As previously mentioned HERE, IDA Entertainment, the company responsible for the amazing Assemble Borg series of action figures, has brought to life a new animated series based on the manga series of the same name: Cat Sh1t One.

Originally released in manga form in 1998 in Japan by writer/artist Motofumi Kobayashi, Cat Sh1t One follows a special forces team of animal soldiers who fight wherever their is trouble. Originally set in Vietnam, the new animated series has been updated to include modern weaponry and a new, modern setting: the Middle East. It's best to think of this new CGI animated series as your average Disney film...on steroids, spouting foul language and armed with heavy weapons.

This short 22-minute episode is the first of a planned series. Likewise, utilizing a cast of English voice actors (Will Prescott and Tom Flynn) and featuring the latest in high-tech animation techniques, Cat Sh1t One is - if anything - an action-packed, entertaining foray into animation the likes of which we rarely see.

This particular episode follows Sgt. "Packy" Perkins and his companion, Botasky, as they're sent to rescue three hostages from a group of camel terrorists (no stereotypes here!). As Perkins closes in on the hostages' location, Botasky - behind a sniper rifle - comes under attack and needs Packy to save his hide. The pair, under threat from overwhelming forces, looks to rescue the hostages while keeping themselves alive as well.

At only 22 minutes long, the single disc, single episode is bound to disappoint more than a few fans - especially considering the price. At $29.99, one would expect more than a single episode. Thankfully, the blu-ray includes over 75 minutes of bonus features, giving viewers and fans plenty more to enjoy.

All of the special features are in the film's native Japan (with English subtitles). Special features include interviews with production staff on the creation of the film, a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the English dub in Los Angeles with English voice actors Prescott and Flynn, and - best of all - an entertaining and interesting commentary with the film's military/tactical adviser, Tomoyuki Hasegawa, and the film's director, Kazuya Sashahara.

It's this awesome commentary which is probably the most enjoyable feature as the pair discuss in-depth details on the weapons and kit the Delta Bunnies use and wear, giving detailed descriptions of each as well as the reasons why the weapons and items were chosen for the film. Likewise, the pair discuss military tactics and the way these were incorporated into the film's design and creation. Well worth a look if you enjoyed the episode and are looking for more info or if you're a gun nut looking for some neat background details.

The money made by the sale of this single disc will be re-invested to create additional episodes of the show and this seems to me a wise decision and one that'll hopefully encourage fans to support the sale of this single episode disc so additional episodes can be made.

While pricey, this single episode disc of Cat Sh1t One will no doubt make some fans sit up and take notice of this original, action-packed and downright hilarious series. It was nominated for "Outstanding Achievement in an Animated Short" in the 9th Annual VES Awards, so there's no doubt the CGI is top notch as is the writing and action. Unfortunately, the voice acting seems off to me. One would expect the veteran "Packy" to have a deeper, harder voice than Mr. Prescott has; sorry Will!

The manga, known as "Apocalypse Meow" in many circles, featured a larger, and more extensive cast of characters and adventures; characters and adventures IDA hopes to introduce in future animated episodes should this one prove popular. Hopefully, fans will have the opportunity to meet these other exotic soldier and locales in future episodes as it'd be a shame to not get more of this hilariously-conceived, action-oriented, hard-hitting animated series that can only be described as awesome, over-the-top fun.

The DVD and Blu-ray are available on Amazon.com HERE.

With luck, we'll hear about the production of more episodes of Cat Sh1t One in the near future.

- Jess C. Horsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catshiteone.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	17014  
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cat Sh1t One - The Animated Series

You can watch the first episode on youtube offically which I found strange considering I've never seen a company give it's only episode away for free. It was a thing to see if you want to buy it. Well atleast you could like a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed watching the episode but I'll wait to catch more than one episode at a time in a collection eventually. I thought the first episode was really really well done. I may pick up the Manga Apocalypse Meow but I dunno.
    Silence is Golden
    I love the smell of flowers
    did you just let one?

Re: BLU-RAY REVIEW: Cat Sh1t One - The Animated Series

I'm in the same boat, I really enjoyed that first episode on YT some weeks ago, but even with bonus features a 20 minute show aint worth 30 bucks to me. I like it, but I'll also be waiting for a collected version of some sort.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.