REVIEW: DCU Classics - GOTHAM CITY 5

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

DCU Classics - GOTHAM CITY 5

New Wal-Mart exclusive worth new Lex Luthor?

For a great selection of superhero action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, Urban-Collector.com, DollsAmerica.com, ClarkToys.com, ToyWiz.com, BriansToys.com, VNCToys.com, PastGenerationToys.com, MonkeyDepot.com, RPMDiecast.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, YesAnimation.com, and SuperheroToys.com.

For a great selection of film, TV and pop culture t-shirts and apparel, check out TShirtGurus.com and 80sTees.com.

2009 has been an incredible year for DC fans as Mattel continues to deliver figures that can’t be turned down, no matter how many variations you have of it. Wal-Mart, who hasn’t been too friendly to the DC Universe in the beginning has been singing to a different tune as of late, first with their very own exclusive "Metallo" wave (with another wave featuring "Imperiex" just now hitting) and an exclusive 5-pack randomly dubbed GOTHAM CITY 5. It’s more like the Gotham City 3 + Metropolis 2, but oh well.

Long time collectors will quickly notice that four of the five figures - Superman, Batman, Two-Face, Catwoman - are repaints from the DC Superheroes and DC Universe Classics lines, but the fifth figure is all new: Lex Luthor. Only one previous Lex Luthor figure in his battle armor was made prior, but this figure packaged here is all-new.

PACKAGING: All five figures are packed visibly in an attractive box with the “exclusive” Lex Luthor in the dead center with the Gotham villains on the bottom and our heroes on the top.

The sides of the box have portraits of each character within and you’ll find the usual photo and biography on the back. The whole look of it falls in line with the rest of the series thus far and I think it does the job well.

SCULPT: The Four Horsemen have sculpted four of these figures previously and the only new sculpt here is Lex Luthor, who is fantastic by the way. It’s an all new sculpt and though he reminds me a tad of Billy Zane, it’s not a bad thing. The main body is familiar but with small tweaks here and there such as his collar and the many pockets on his legs. His straps on his chest are a separate piece but aren’t removable. Lex’s left hand comes in a fist but his right hand is ready to hold whatever it is you want to give him.

Superman is the basic version we all know and love and without the mullet. If you already have one it might be a nuisance but there’s plenty of folks who are still in need of the most basic Superman figure there is.

Batman is the same old Batman. Still a solid figure.

Two-Face and Catwoman are both oldies from the DC Superheroes line and since they were part of the later waves, incredibly difficult to come by. The sculpts still hold up fairly well even now.

PAINT: For mass market toys, Mattel does a very nice job. These figures for the most part are painted very well but there are small samplings of slop and unclean lines here and there. The lines that bother me the most are of course when you have a character that dons a mask: Batman and Catwoman. Catwoman’s hood is meant to be painted underneath the chin as there is a sculpted line for the fabric. Instead, it’s now part of the chin giving her a very awkward looking chin. Batman mask edges could just use a tad more black paint.

Now getting to the colors of the variants, the villains are all sporting something purple. Catwoman is purple. Lex Luthor has a purple shirt and boots. Half of Two-Face’s suit is purple. Thankfully Superman and Batman didn’t get the memo.

Two-Face not only received a new suit that’s orange and purple (instead of black and white), he also got half a face lift that’s green instead of... purple. I actually like this new color combination better for the head sculpt but definitely prefer the older release’s suit. They skimped out on giving him a multicolor tie as well.

And speaking of Batman, he’s ready to do battle in his black and gray costume rather than the Series 1 light blue and gray.

ARTICULATION: DC Universe Classics have been pretty consistent with their points of articulation. Each figure usually has roughly 22-24 points of articulation which gives a decent amount of poseability. The trick is finding figures with good sturdy joints. Lately Mattel has been great in this department but this set has given me problems with some joints. Batman’s left wrist is just about ready to break. Some of the other figures needed some care and attention but were able to get unstuck. Batman’s wrist might be a lost cause.

ACCESSORIES: This is where it gets a bit disappointing since only one figure comes with an accessory: Catwoman’s whip. Her original release also gave her a neat little backpack. Two-Face also comes empty handed, and certainly in need of something.

VALUE: At $54.88 at your local Wal-Mart store, that comes out to $11 a figure, which actually is a pretty good deal right now since many retailers have started to charge $14+ for each DC figure. But of course if you’re in it just for Lex Luthor, it’s a hefty price to pay.

OVERALL: In the end, I’m a fan of this set. I definitely needed a regular Superman and Lex Luthor. I also didn’t mind a repaint of Batman and or Two-Face. Catwoman is the only figure in the set that I prefer the original to, but if you never were able to find her, this is a decent substitute.

I did have some minor issues with paint on the masks so definitely take a good look at the store before you take it home. I also had an issue with some of the joints getting stuck but let’s hope that doesn’t happen to any of you.
    The Gotham City 5 has its heart in the right place and is a great starter set for those new to DC Universe Classics as well.

For even more images of the Gothan 5 DCU set, CLICK HERE!

Review and Photos by David Yeh

Review Sample Courtesy of Mattel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth1.jpg 
Views:	2061 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	1142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth2.jpg 
Views:	2945 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	1143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth3.jpg 
Views:	1883 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth4.jpg 
Views:	1726 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	1145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth5.jpg 
Views:	1546 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	1146  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth6.jpg 
Views:	3572 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	1147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth7.jpg 
Views:	4588 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	1148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth8.jpg 
Views:	1778 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	1149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth9.jpg 
Views:	2309 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	1150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth10.jpg 
Views:	3264 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	1151  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth11.jpg 
Views:	2085 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	1152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth12.jpg 
Views:	1528 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	1153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth13.jpg 
Views:	1478 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	1154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth14.jpg 
Views:	1721 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	1155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1goth15.jpg 
Views:	1504 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	1156  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.