REVIEW: REVIEW: NECA Mego-Style Friday the 13th - JASON LIVES

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: NECA Mego-Style Friday the 13th - JASON LIVES

You Can't Keep A Good Slasher Down...

Everyone has their favorite Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th films. Some fans enjoy the early "Sack Head" Jason from Part II, while others prefer his Jason X appearance as an unstoppable cybernetic killing machine. For me, Jason became a horror legend when he came back from the dead as a zombie slasher in Jason Lives. This sixth Friday the 13th film marked a major milestone in the series, a moment right up there with Jason donning his hockey mask for the first time in Part III. If Jason Voorhees was frightening before as a deformed serial killer, now he was truly frightening as a monster. A monster that could not be killed.

Some would say Friday the 13th "jumped the shark" with Jason Lives. I see it as the point where the writers fully embraced the campiness (no pun intended) of the movie series and dialed it up a notch. Let's face it, there's only so many different ways to film teenagers getting killed in the woods by a masked mad man. But killed by a zombie masked mad man? That's the start of something fresh and new. A monster movie slasher.

NECA revealed at San Diego Comic-Con that an "Ultimate" 7-inch Jason Lives action figure is in the works, the undead Camp Crystal Lake psycho ready to take-down some teens with improvised cemetery fence spear. Tombstone included. That figure comes out this Fall, but in the mean time Friday the 13th fans can own Jason Lives as part of NECA's newest 8-inch Mego-style action figure line. I'm a big fan of both action figure formats, and since this is my all-time favorite Jason Voorhees, I can never have enough Jason Lives in my collection.

One thing I like about NECA's Mego-style figures is the premium clam shell packaging they come in. Blister cards are all nice and dandy on regular figure releases, but since I'm an action figure opener, those packs get chucked into the trash quicker than Jason can take out a teen. NECA's Mego-style figures, however, are collector friendly. By carefully cutting around the three perforated sides, these unique clam shells can be opened up and resealed for on the wall display.

Another packaging perk on these figures is the gorgeous art work. Featured on a heavy stock cardboard insert, the amazing art can be removed and displayed all by itself. This particular piece was done by Jason Edmiston (LOVE his signature!) Killer work on Jason, Jason.

Awesome packaging and art work aside, another reason I love NECA's new Mego-style figures is their slightly larger size (8 inches), massive amounts of articulation, numerous accessories, and real-cloth outfits. Unless we're talking hyper-realistic 1:6th scale action figures, the thought of real-cloth outfits on a toy usually scares me. That's doll territory, something many of us serious figure collectors frown upon (they're action figures!). NECA, however, knows what they are doing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these Mego-style figures are like deluxe versions of NECA's 7-inch plastic figures. Or like a 1:6th scale action figure shrunken down to 8 inches. There's nothing hokey or doll-like here. All the clothes fit really nice and combined with NECA's incredibly sculpted head sculpts and accessories, these figures really shine.

With Jason Lives, collectors receive two cool portraits to display: Jason Voorhees wearing his iconic hockey mask, or maskless revealing his new decomposing zombie face. What's neat here is that you can actually insert Jason's included machete in the slash in the hockey mask, the same place where he got killed in part four's The Final Chapter!

In addition to his trademark machete, Jason Lives includes his hunting knife, as well as his makeshift spear. The latter comes packaged in two pieces. This allows you to slide both halves into one (or both) of Jason's hands and then reattached the parts for a better grip. I think many fans will have him displayed with the spear as the weapon really helps define this version of Jason. The good news is that if you decide to go this route, Jason's knife and machete can be stowed on the figure in their corresponding sheathes! I absolutely love it when a figure can hold all his included accessories (even in its head!).

NECA is on a roll releasing Jason Voorhees in their newer Mego-style figure format. We've already received Part 2's Sack Head Jason and Part 5's Jason imposter (aka Roy). Now we get Part 6's awesome Jason Lives. What's next for the line? While not my favorite films in the series, a more decomposed Part 7 Jason would really rock, as would a Jason X. Heck, at this rate I think we'll get them all.

NECA's Mego-style 8" Jason Lives action figure is available now at many fine retailers, including BigBadToyStore.com where it is priced at $27.99.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Review Sample Courtesy of NECA

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and EntertainmentEarth.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesTOP.jpg 
Views:	7977 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	304329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesEND.jpg 
Views:	21971 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	304330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesHEAD.jpg 
Views:	19034 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	304331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesHEAD2.jpg 
Views:	4734 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	304332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesPACK.jpg 
Views:	4291 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	304333  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesPACK2.jpg 
Views:	2351 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	304334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesSPEAR.jpg 
Views:	6519 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	304335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1jasonlivesVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	4630 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	304336  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 08-04-2015 at 03:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.