REVIEW: REVIEW: NECA's 6" GODZILLA 2014 (12 Inches Head-To-Tail)

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: NECA's 6" GODZILLA 2014 (12 Inches Head-To-Tail)

A Monstrously Articulated and Massively Fun Figure...

Perfectly timed for release with the new motion picture, NECA's 6-inch Godzilla (2014) action figure captures the new "King of Monsters" with a terrific sculpt and tons of useful articulation. I'm personally most excited to get my hands on NECA's 12-inch tall Godzilla figure (24 inches head-to-tail!) due for release this July, but after seeing the Gareth Edwards movie this weekend, I couldn't hold off any longer! It is priced at around $18.99 and available at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide.

Despite measuring a good 12-inches long with its tail stretched back, this smaller Godzilla figure fits in very well on display thanks to the loads of articulation I mentioned previously. It all came as quite a surprise when I opened up the figure. The tail alone stars four ball-socket joints - a snake-like system that starts at Godzilla's rear and continues on down until it merges with a semi-bendy end tail segment. You'll get far more movement with the four interlocking ball-joints then with the bendy portion, but combined the tail articulation allows for a myriad of poses. This includes extended straight back, and more importantly, swept forward so that 'zilla can squeeze on a shallow display shelf.

However, Godzilla's articulation doesn't end at his tail. NECA brilliantly incorporated joints throughout the figure, many articulated sections overlapping the others for an almost seamless appearance. These well-hidden joints include a ball-jointed waist for slight side-to-side movement and two ball-joints in the neck for some excellent peeking around poses. Other joints include an opening and closing mouth, ball-jointed shoulders, hinged-ball elbows, ball wrists, swivel thunder thighs, slightly ball-hinged knees and ball-jointed elephantine feet. It's all very impressive and fun to play with.

Sculpt matches the movie monster perfectly, the profile of Gareth's new Godzilla very faithful to the original. I love the menacing portrait and beady eyes, as well as Godzilla's new jagged spines. The dagger-like appendages remind me of a mountain range erupting from his back. Molded in a dark green plastic that almost appears black, NECA's 6" Godzilla lacks in the paint department with only a pin-prick of yellow for the eyes and a slight brown wash on his chest to break up the monotony. However, to be fair to NECA, the new screen 'Zilla didn't exactly pop with color.

After the release of 1998's abysmal Godzilla, collectors couldn't wait for Trendmasters flood of movie figures to disappear from shelves (though their "classic" stuff was cool). With 2014's far superior Godzilla, fans can't get enough of the "King of Monsters". The toys released so far from JAKKS and Bandai have been fun for the kids, but it's taken NECA to knock it out of the park for adult collectors. NECA's 6" Godzilla action figure is just what the serious 'Zilla fan ordered... that is until their 12" Godzilla figure comes out.

All Photos by Jeff Saylor

Figure Purchased by Jeff Saylor

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Anime-Island.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	23128 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	190872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aHEAD.jpg 
Views:	14913 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	190882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aTAIL.jpg 
Views:	6647 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	190892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1aTOP.jpg 
Views:	20541 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	190902  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 05-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: REVIEW: NECA's 6" GODZILLA 2014 (12 Inches Head-To-Tail)

I might snag one of these if I come across one, but only to hold me over to the Bandai SH Monsterarts edition which will be by far the most impressive. That line is hard to top. I wish Bandai's line had also tackled Pacific Rim.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.