OPINION: OPINION: Purging Your Toy Collection

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

OPINION: Purging Your Toy Collection

How To Do It, Why It Helps, And How To Live Afterward...

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Anime-Island.com, TheToySource.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

--C.J. Stunkard

I go through it every few years. The collection becomes too cumbersome; the new line loses its sheen. I have one too many Buffys, StormTroopers, or Destros. I know what you’re thinking, “How can anyone have too many Destros?” Well, the truth is that we can, and many of us do if we have hunted the pegs for any amount of time and with too much expendable income. When we realize this, it’s time for a purge. Below I’ve outlined not only what I mean but how to do it, why it helps, and how to live afterward. Let’s get it going...

What’s “The Purge”? Well, simply put, it’s getting ridding of the unnecessary stuff in your collection - not all of it, not even most of it, just the pieces that you no longer need for the time being. You make your ground rules on determining that, go through your jaunts, and get yourself some coin. That’s really the whole thing.

I’ve had a few different experiences with this. At one point we were fighting to get out of debt, plus I realized I did not have enough room for all I had amassed. So I went through my collection and got rid of anything that (a) was not a gift or (b) did not have a memorable, sentimental story tied to its purchase. Crazy thing happened: I got rid of a ton of stuff, and I’m pretty sure I got our credit cards paid. Plus, within two years, several of the specific characters I had purged were gifted to me in some other form. Pretty great.

Other times I’ve purged just because the money is too good. If I have a particular figure that is going for 4-6 times what I paid for it, I don’t need it - not like the guy willing to pay that much. So I’ve let him. Do you have that DC Direct Justice Series 3 Joker in Tux? How bout those 2008 Batman Lego Sets - Croc in particular. Or maybe you were one of the smart ones who kept his Jakks Pacfic Rocky figures on their blister cards - now might be the time to put your collection to work for you.

Or another simple way to do it is this: just look at your collection, and if you have not displayed a specific piece for two years or more, get rid of it. It’s attic fodder. In fact, if you visit your attic (or crawlspace or closet), you may find you have items from a property you don’t even like anymore. Why bother keeping it when you can flip it for cash to get new stuff you will display or enjoy?

But you’re probably asking, “why bother?” It’s a good question. My motivations have included living space, finances, and spiritual awakening, but other reasons exist too. Let’s face it; life is just simpler with less clutter in it. Plus a good purge is beneficial for you and the rest of the collecting community. You clean your collection of the extras, other collectors get pieces they want for their collections, and you end your day with a little more of that cashy money (as the Browncoats call it) - perhaps enough to buy that new piece you really want ([cough] Pacific Rim 18” figures [cough]).

Of course, human beings are creatures of habit. Even you have a purge, make some of that coin, and get your collection in good order, chances are you will collect more stuff in your hobbying adventures, and you will need to go through this again in five years. And that’s okay. This post will hopefully be here waiting for you to revisit it.
    Until then, I got three ways to help stave that eventuality. One, be more mindful of your purchases. I think we’ll all agree that getting a figure you really want to put on your desk and see daily is worth your money. But buying an entire line may not be. Like the knight from Last Crusade says, “Choose Wisely”. Two, put yourself on a collecting budget. It’s amazing how far $50 can stretch when you only give yourself $50 - and it’s amazing how much each piece means to you when you are limited as to what you can buy. And third, let regret come and go. I’ve sold a lot of figures in my day - over 2,500 by count of my eBay photo archive. Some days I think, “Oh, I should not have gotten rid of that SOTA Street Fighter Guile figure or my beloved Dark Knight Joker,” but those moments are few-and-far-between. The fact that I know what’s in my collection and that I’ve gotten rid of the stuff I do not need, well, that feeling stays a little longer.

So, what are you waiting for? Get purging.

--C.J. Stunkard

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1purge.jpg 
Views:	2204 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	176102  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 04-21-2014 at 08:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: OPINION: Purging Your Toy Collection

How did you purge? Just ebay or also other methods? Did you have any problems with buyers on eBay?

I can't speak for CJ (author of the article) but for me it's been a mix of eBay, selling/ giving to friends and donating to charity (Goodwill, Toys For Tots, etc). As far as problems with eBay, you will encounter the occasional person that is overly... err, picky. As long as you protect yourself by describing the item properly (list ANY defect), pack well and ship in a timely manner, you should be good to go (I'm still at 100% feedback). I mean I listed an item that had obviously been opened as the photo showed the figure outside the packaging and the person complained about fingerprints on the toy. It was listed as "good as new", which I assume the person thought of as brand new, as in unopened. Guess he should have looked at the photos, but yeah, be sure to be VERY clear in your description.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
    How did you purge? Just ebay or also other methods? Did you have any problems with buyers on eBay?
    Great Question, Lincoln,

To echo the prior comment, you definitely want to present detailed info on ebay. I had a situation just this year wherein 2 buyers declined a purchase based on a single discoloration on a figure. I can understand why, but one of them even bid and then withdrew when he saw a better pic of the item. Always be detailed.

Another way I have found to have a good time and get the purge out in one felt swoop is to buy a table at a local small-venue toy show. You will not get as much as ebay, and the table will cost a fee upfront, but it's a blast (at least it was for me), and if you have a good day, you can leave with a wad of cash, clean and simple, and very few leftovers! It can be loads of fun, especially if you enjoy talking the hobby with folks and networking.

I appreciate all of the input. I have a ton of stuff that I need to get rid of. Ive tried some message boards to mixed results. I don't have the time to get a table as I work a lot of weekends. I used in eBay in the past and that worked great for a long time but I have a couple of friends that got shafted pretty hard selling on there and I've been reluctant to sell on there ever since. If you cover yourself are they willing to side with sellers now too. For a while there it seemed like they always sided with buyers. Regardless of how ludicrous some of the claims were.

Lincoln, sorry for the delay in answering the question.

eBay tends to side with the buyer; however, the seller can take several precautions in creating a favorable experience. First, list issues with the item and always rate it as accurately as possible. If it's not "near mint" according to strict standards, just say it's "very good" or "fair", and so forth. Always provide at least 1 really good picture and add to the description, "item sold as shown" or "as is." Under-promise and over-deliver. When shipping, package the item how you would want to receive it, and always get tracking so you have proof it arrived. If the buyer is unsatisfied, try to negotiate a fair and equitable solution. You might be out some money but maybe you get your items back; he is out some time but maybe he spares you the negative feedback. In the end, you want everyone to walk away bloodless and scarless. Sometimes you get burned. It happens, but I still believe in the integrity of the Bay as a solution for the purge. =) Thanks for the conversation, man. Sorry for the delayed response.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.