Movies/TV/Games: BLU-RAY REVIEW: You’re Next

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BLU-RAY REVIEW: You’re Next

Everything You Expect From A Good Horror Movie - Now On Blu-ray...

To insure your action figure collection, contact Collectibles Insurance Services at (888) 837-9537, or click here to get a quote and apply online. Collectibles Insurance Services is the Official Partner of the Figures.com network.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Anime-Island.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For hobby miniatures and all your gaming needs, visit MiniatureMarket.com.

There are several things I look forward to in a good horror movie, especially in a slasher: ample amounts of gore, a decent body count, some unique kills, a few good scares and most importantly, an interesting story or plot twist. T&A is a bonus, but not required. It’s a recipe that many films deliver with varying degrees of success. Heavy violence with no real substance gives you something like 2013’s Evil Dead remake, while a promising idea coupled with disappointing carnage can bring out The Purge.

Thankfully, there was one horror movie last year that hit all the right buttons for me. Released by Lionsgate Films and directed by Adam Wingard, You’re Next is a unique take on the “home invasion” horror sub-genre. Where films such as Funny Games and The Strangers shocked audiences by erasing all sense of hope, You’re Next entices viewers with a silver lining made of sweet revenge.

Sharni Vinson stars as Erin, the girlfriend of Crispian Davison (A. J. Bowen) whose wealthy parents have invited them for a rare family reunion at their remote Missouri vacation mansion. Soon the couple and Crispian’s parents are joined by the rest of the Davison clan, along with their significant others. The cast quickly fills up to ten potential victims, or so the audience is led to believe. When the boyfriend of Crispian’s sister is brutally shot in the head with a crossbow bolt during dinner, the movie’s slow and deliberate set-up explodes into one of breathless bloodshed. The killers, creepy animal-masked hunters, are systematically taking down the Davison family one-by-one. How many are there? Who are they and what do they want? At this point in the movie, You’re Next is a home invasion thriller full of suspense and grisly deaths by axes, crossbows and machetes.

And then the magic happens; a brilliant mid-story plot twist that establishes You’re Next as a true horror classic.

To say more is to ruin the surprise, but I will say that You’re Next does an excellent job at fulfilling my horror movie formula. A high body count? Check. Unique kills? I’ve never seen a blender used to murder someone! Scares? There are a few good jumping out jolts and a great under-the-bed moment. As mentioned, the animal masks are uber creepy. T&A? You’re Next even throws in some of that as an opening bonus.

You’re Next has a unique color palette of muted earth tones and nighttime blacks. Despite this, the Blu-ray transfer of You’re Next is strong, the 2.40:1 AVC-encoded image providing crisp detail in the (mostly) shadowy scenes and a warm clarity in the occasionally lit environment. As to be expected, the use of DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 provides for creepy clear sound, from the sickening thump of an axe to the head to the Dwight Twilley Band’s contagious "Looking for the Magic" looped throughout the movie. Trust me, you’ll be humming the tune well after the credits roll, it’s like a character unto itself.

Bonus features are sparse, especially for a Blu-ray release. For those that enjoy digging deeper into a film on repeated viewings, there’s the obligatory audio commentary. Viewers have their choice of listening to director Adam Wingard and writer Simon Barrett discuss their inventive creation or hearing the two reminiscence on the film with actors Sharni Vinson and Barbara Crampton, the latter clearly passionate about their roles and what You’re Next brings to the horror genre. Where the audio commentary adds informative entertainment to a second screening, the feature “No Ordinary Home Invasion: The Making Of You’re Next” comes across as unnecessary filler. Shot on set, the “making of” leans too heavily on film footage (“Hey, didn’t I just watch that?”), the extra coming across more like a promo piece (which it most likely was). I’m rather shocked that Lionsgate didn’t include a "Looking for the Magic" music video or at least a clip explaining the song's unusual use in the film. You know Dwight Twilley must be proud of his newfound fame.

You’re Next doesn’t reinvent the horror wheel, but the film’s clever mid-story twist ensures it a future as a horror classic. You’re Next is everything I expect from a good horror movie, a slasher with brains... well at least until you scramble those brains with a blender. I only have one real concern: While the ending to You’re Next is satisfying, it unfortunately allows room for a sequel (and the $25 million return on a $1 million film almost guarantees it). You’re Next Too? Please pass the blender...

You're Next is now available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD wherever fine home video is sold. You're Next is Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexuality/nudity.

Review by Jeff Saylor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	next.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	156571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9f25e-You-re-Next2.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	156581  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 01-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.