Comics/Books: BOOK REVIEW: LEGO MINIFIGURE: Year By Year - A Visual History

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BOOK REVIEW: LEGO MINIFIGURE: Year By Year - A Visual History

Why Are Minifigures Traditionally Yellow?...

For all LEGO fans and collectors both young and old, DK Publishing has released a new book that is a must-have for yourself or the LEGO-fiend in your family. LEGO MINIFIGURE: YEAR BY YEAR A VISUAL HISTORY by Gregory Farshtey with Daniel Lipkowitz, delivers page after page of colorful photographs of the earliest LEGO figures all the way to 2013.

The book also asks three very basic but essential questions:

• Why are minifigures traditionally yellow?
    • Do minifigures ever have noses?
    • Which are the rarest minifigures?

To find the answers to those questions, I'll leave it up to you to pick up the book! But what I can tell you is a little bit more about it to help you make that decision on whether you need this book or whether you just want it.

First thing is, this book comes with three minifgures! Bonus! You get a very basic Townsperson reminiscent of the early days of LEGO, a very modernized looking Robber, and the familiar Stormtrooper from Star Wars. While I wish they gave us a generic Spaceman over the Townsperson, or maybe three of the same types of figures from the various decades to see the evolution? I suppose you won't be able to please everyone with the figure selection but I'm telling you, you still want this book.

There's several chapters I should highlight here and I'll list them out since it will help understand what this book is about.

• Bringing LEGO Play to Life
    • What's a Minifigure?
    • How is a Minifigure made?
    • Timeline
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s

Within each of those major decades are closer looks at some of the figures released year by year. For 1999 for example, it will devote several pages to Star Wars since it debut that year, and also highlight figures from the other lines such as LEGO Town, LEGO Rock Raiders, and LEGO Adventurers.

While the ultimate book would be a catalog of EVERY minifigure ever made, this book certainly comes close at highlighting all of the major achievements over the decades with LEGO. The visuals are fun and impressive and it's absolutely a joy to read. There's plenty to learn from this book and it will only make you want to buy more LEGO, which, is probably a good thing!

I was able to find this book at my local Costco for $24.99 but the price may vary depending on your location and where you order from. I highly recommend this book. It's thick, it's heavy, (255 pages), and a valuable resource.

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2504.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	144741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2503.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	144751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2505.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	144761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2502.jpg 
Views:	12099 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	144771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2513.jpg 
Views:	2237 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	144781  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2506.jpg 
Views:	2786 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	144791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2507.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	144801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2508.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	144811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2509.jpg 
Views:	2621 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	144821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2510.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	162.5 KB 
ID:	144831  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2511.jpg 
Views:	7812 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	144841  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.