Events: Wizard World Chicago Comic Con Coverage

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con Coverage

Fans Flock To Four Day Event...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

By Ken Rodriguez

This is yours truly (the mad man in the blue box) and my "borrowed" Type 40 T.A.R.D.I.S unexpectedly brought me to the 2013 Wizard World Chicago Comic Con on Saturday. As you can see hundreds were lined up before opening. This year the event was held at the Rosemont Convention Center (as it has been for the past 2 decades or so). This time they had a separate floor for the Artist Alley and Celebrities (lower level) and all of the exhibitors were at the upper level.

I was perplexed why my Type 40 brought me here as I did not see scheduled any incarnation of the "Doctor" but I did spot someone from the series which would explain everything.

John Barrowman was here, better known as Captain Jack during the 9th and 10th incarnation of the "Doctor". He was busy signing autographs as well as speaking on a panel regarding....well himself. John was a crowd pleaser and had everyone laughing at one point or another. He stated he enjoyed the Captain Jack character that he developed for both Doctor Who and Torchwood and would portray that character again if asked. John is currently with the show Arrow and the producers of that show made a point that they will accommodate John if he ever needs to take up the role of Captain Jack for the BBC. John has many accolades but his latest venture would be to his recent marriage of his life long partner Scot, who accompanies him (as well as his mom and dad) to all of the conventions.

James and Oliver Phelps of the Harry Potter movie series was on hand for the fans.

Academy Award nominee, Michael Shannon was also speaking in a more casual setting during his panel. He could not stay long as he has a play to do nearby. Michael played GENERAL ZOD in the newest edition of Superman, Man of Steel and recently wrapped up production on John McNaughton's The Harvest, starring Samantha Morton and Peter Fonda. Michael also will also begin production on season four of the HBO series Boardwalk Empire, co-starring Steve Buscemi and Kelly Macdonald.

For all of you Trekkies or Trekkers, Zachary Quinto was also speaking more casually at his forum wearing a baseball cap. Zachary portrays Spock in the newest remake of Star Trek. He has said that he and Lenard Nimoy are really close friends and often see each other when in the same city. Zachary was pleasantly surprised with the new friendship and mentor he has found in Mr. Nimoy. Zachary has been in many shows for theater as well for television such as 24, Touched by an Angel, CSI, Joan of Arcadia, American Horror Story and Heroes as Sylar.

Brandon Routh was speaking during a smaller venue, he had portrayed Superman in the movie Superman Returns. Many fans had felt that movie pretty much killed the Superman franchise during that time period.

Aaron Ashmore was speaking alongside a fellow actor. Aaron was known as Jimmy Olson of Smallville and more recently in a show called Warehouse 13 playing Steve Jinks.

Robert Knepper of the show Prison Break was signing autographs.

Chicago Bulls legend... Dennis Rodman was signing as well.

Jon Heder of Napoleon Dynamite was on hand for autographs.

Michael Rosenbaum of Smallville (Lex Luthor) was having a good time signing autographs as well as singing Tom Petty tunes and quizzing the fans of a game of name that tune. Michael has a movie coming out Back in the Day starring Morena Baccarin, Nick Swardson, Harland Williams and others. Release date is 2014.

I came across some interesting cosplayers as well as a personal favorite T.A.R.D.I.S.

The costume contest was fast approaching as there were approximately 328 contestants this year. The winner for best of show was Darth Bane, he won a trophy and $200. The intricate headpiece alone was a marvel to look at. He would be the big guy carrying the lightsaber.

All in all it was a great event to attend. The only thing any convention goer would need to be aware of are the schedule and room changes for the panel discussions as well as the photo op changes with the celebrities. Wizard World had a downloadable app to keep things current but what this Time Lord discovered is that the app, the printed booklet of events, and the panel discussion schedule posted outside of each room event are not always on the same page. When in doubt the posted schedule of events outside each room are the most accurate. Yes, even more accurate than the app!

Well this was another great event by Wizard World and I am glad my T.A.R.D.I.S brought me here, even if it was for a short visit. They had tons of celebrities (Barrowman rocked!) as well as many artists and exhibits, enough to cover 2 floors!

This is the madman in the box signing off...next stop?, Don't know but something big in November is coming and my "borrowed" type 40 is already setting the coordinates. Until then GEROMINO!!!!!

Story and Photography by Ken Rodriguez

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ww.jpg 
Views:	949 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	114102  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 08-12-2013 at 01:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.