REVIEW: REVIEW: Royal Bobbles Unveils “68 Comeback” Elvis

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Royal Bobbles Unveils “68 Comeback” Elvis

Return Of The King...

By Jim Dolan

I’m an Elvis fan. Such was my admiration for him I did a very informal Elvis impersonation occasionally, with guitar but not in costume, at parties in college. Later I saw him live just once, from the second row center (my girlfriend’s cousin was the manager of the venue.) That performance sealed the deal.

It is nearly impossible to overstate the effect of Elvis on the popular culture at the time of his breakout. In the very early years of emerging mass communications, which were ultimately unable to restrain the young sensuality that Elvis brought to his performances while vastly spreading his image and influence, Elvis became the dominant cultural actor of his time.

In its estimable attempt to capture the reemergence of Elvis after the British Invasion, an Elvis arguably at the peek of his expressive powers but no longer the dominant icon of his earlier years, Royal Bobbles gives us “68 Comeback” Elvis, just in time for the kickoff of “Elvis Week”, in a look he embraced for a television special after the Hollywood years. (Full disclosure –Royal Bobbles is an advertiser on figures.com and the Action Online network, which I publish. I probably should have recused myself here, but it was Elvis.)

The first thing to be admired about this Elvis is that it is cast in resin. It has weight and substance. It is a material worthy of its subject. You are not afraid it’s going to fall over. It looks more like a statue or figure that acts like a bobblehead. And this is the essence of Royal Bobbles’ approach. They are looking to bring the quality of sculpting and paint and materials, normally associated with high-quality figures and statues, to bobbleheads. And in this they have succeeded.

This one looks like Elvis, and in this pose acts like Elvis. If anything, this bobble head accentuates the strong lines of his jaw and chin, capturing the always physical Elvis. The paint choice for the King’s hair and sideburns and eyebrows is the same true black as his two-piece leather outfit, with every crease present. The gold rings are there, the grey-blue eyes, and the microphone. He’s happy to be back in front of people, happy to be performing. Maybe just a touch of that famous sneer too.

This one isn’t going to get away. I’m keeping it on my desk.

The new Elvis ’68 Comeback Special bobblehead is available immediately for retail sale at www.Bobbleheads.com, and at gift shops and online retailers nationwide.

Review by Jim Dolan

Review Sample Courtesy of Royal Bobbles

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elvistop.jpg 
Views:	2152 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	113862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elvisuse.jpg 
Views:	1718 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	113872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elvisfront.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	113882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elvisside.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	367.7 KB 
ID:	113892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1elvispack.jpg 
Views:	724 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	113902  

Last edited by JeffSaylor; 08-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.