REVIEW: REVIEW: Uni-Minis - E.T. and Minion

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Uni-Minis - E.T. and Minion

New Vinyl Collectibles From Universal Studios...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, AlterEgoComics.com, PlasmaInfusion.com, Toynk.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

The vinyl collectible market has hit collectors hard and it's never been more main stream than it has been now. With plenty various types of vinyl figures in the mass market retailers, there's really no escaping them. It's not a winner every time, as Hasbro's Mighty Muggs can attest but still, there has to be an audience if Funko's Pop! vinyl figures keep popping out with now slow down in sight. Disneyland has already rocketed the vinyl collectible market to an even wider scope with several different collector lines under its Vinylmation umbrella. Not to be out done, Universal Studios has come into the fold as well with a brand new line called Uni-Minis.

There's a handful of Uni-Minis available at both Hollywood and Orlando theme parks. Priced at $12.95 for one or $20 for a pair, you can begin adding classic Universal characters to your shelf. Today I picked up E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, one of Universal's proudest Steven Spielberg properties, and a one-eyed Minion from Despicable Me 1 and 2. Other figures include Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy the Penguin, Betty Boop and more.

Each Uni-Mini comes in an identical box with a window to see which one you get. This might be a win for Universal or a fail depending on the buyers. Most of Disney's vinyl collectibles come blind-boxed so you have to keep buying and buying (with an option to trade randomly if you desire) until you find the one you want. Here, I was able to pick up E.T. and the Minion, the two I actually wanted without any problem. The generic box however is rather disappointing since you aren't able to see the rest of the series. I went home curious about the others and completely forgotten what else was out there. If Universal wants to tempt those who buy one to buy more, they need to tease the other characters right on the box.

Sculpt on these Uni-Minis are unique to each's own design, but hyper stylized for cuteness. I'm having trouble deciding if E.T. is evil, happy, or both! The Minion comes as a one-eyed variety only for now. Each figure also has limited articulation, with arms and neck for E.T. and arms and waist for Minion. They stand pretty decent on their own but the E.T. I got tends to lean forward. Balancing him upright has been a challenge, but if they sold it as "Drunk" E.T., I would have accepted the flaw more openly.

The figures have limited paint applications and for the most part are pretty clean. E.T. does have a painted glowing finger on his right hand but unfortunately are not visible in these photos. E.T. also has his glowing heart and big big eyes painted on. The Minion has more variety of colors but it's mostly blacks, blues, and silver.

There doesn't seem to be any limit in production run that I know of but if these toys are up your alley, head on over to your local Universal Studios Theme Park.

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7660.jpg 
Views:	4874 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	106862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7659.jpg 
Views:	3925 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	106872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7658.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	106882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7657.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	106892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7656.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	106902  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	106912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7654.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	106922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7653.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	106932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7652.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	106942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7651.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	106952  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ETPACK.jpg 
Views:	3254 
Size:	223.1 KB 
ID:	106962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1minPACK.jpg 
Views:	3557 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	106972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1etLOOSE.jpg 
Views:	4474 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	106982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1minionLOOSE.jpg 
Views:	3188 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	106992  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.