Events: EVENT COVERAGE: 2013 Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

EVENT COVERAGE: 2013 Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo

A Three Day Pop Culture-Filled Adventure...

Just left C2E2 in my "borrowed" TARDIS and what an adventure! I could not have asked for a better experience... well, maybe make it a four day event instead of three (hint hint).

Started in 2010, the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) is a forum for all ages that make up the elements of pop culture, past and present. With over 350 Exhibitors, 350 plus Artist Alley Creators, panels from the top creators and actors from the worlds of comic, entertainment, science fiction, special events and programming. All of which explore the latest in comics, movies, television, toys, anime, manga, apparel and video games. The panels alone featured creators, comic and entertainment celebrities, and industry professionals. ReedPop is the division that put together C2E2, as well as the New York Comic Con.

DST's C2E2 Exclusive Jawa Vinyl Bank

One of the first things I noticed was how well organized this huge event was. The main showroom floor consisted of the celebrities, exhibitors, and artists as the floor above was dedicated to the various panels that were scheduled. Those panels consisted of artist and writers talking about their crafts from various companies such as DC, Marvel, and First Comics... yes you heard me correctly, First Comics is BACK!

Captain Action Panel

Then there was the Captain Action panel, the world's original action figure! Ed Catto (pictured above right), the retropreneur and Mike Murphy (above left), the chief designer of Round 2 Toys were present to share some exciting news (See the photo gallery HERE!). Captain Action is coming back in a BIG way. We are talking about an animated television series by Animation House G7 with Marv Wolfman (Teen Titans fame) as the scripter. We are talking comic books by Dynamite Comics and of course we are talking action figures with a sleek new packaging and a modest $20 price point to boot. I have to say I have not purchased an action figure since the mid nineties (Spiderman anyone?) but after seeing the Captain Action up close and personal, I truly wanted to get one. The packaging alone is attractive and in style with the retro look as well.

DC Superheroes at Kotobukiya's Booth

There was one more panel that needs mentioning and that was the Marvel Spiderman panel. Just quickly for those of you who are following the Superior Spider Man story, the creative folks for this comic book dropped a "you heard it first" at C2E2. Guess who's coming to Superior that will have a long term effect of the heroes of New York City? Nope not even close, but for those of you who said "Miguel from Spiderman 2099" give yourself a pat on the back because he is coming to the storyline. Spiderman 2099's arrival will have long-term effects for the Doc Oct Spiderman as well as other heroes of New York.

Peter Davidson, Doctor Who's 5th Doctor

My next C2E2 experience was a moment where the clouds opened up and the heavens started singing, yes I am talking about Peter Davidson, one of the classic doctors from Doctor Who! My "borrowed" TARDIS was right for a change and one of the classic incarnations of the good Doctor was here at C2E2 signing autographs! The Doctor Who panel featuring Peter was great, as fans lined up and asked him all sorts of questions, especially those pertaining to his son-in-law. What, you did not know? His son-in-law is none other than David Tennant, the 10th Doctor! Yes David married Peter Davidson's daughter who also played in Doctor Who as the daughter of the 10th Doctor, confused? So is everyone else so you're in good company. ha ha.

Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell on Game of Thrones)

All in all my time at C2E2 was a great experience. Plenty of actors and actresses from the Classic Batman series, to Walking Dead, Games of Thrones, Babylon 5 and Chicago's very own Svengolie, a TV host of some 30 years for all the classic horror films, etc. If you're from the Chicago area then you know the phrase... Berwyn! Check out some of the celebrities that were at C2E2 in our photo gallery HERE.

Cosplayers Unite!

The cosplayers were terrific (see our photo gallery HERE). My only wish would have been a bit more regulation for the costume contest, being judged by professionals and not by the loudness of one's clap. Also if they could have done the costume contest in a separate room to allow for more contestants that would have been much better. I also wish there were events after the convention hours, such as the dance party that Wizard World had. Instead C2E2 showed a movie from 8pm to 10pm, which was ok in a non-celebrating sort of way. At last I digress, will I be back next year? I actually am looking forward to it as I am sure I can navigate my TARDIS to be there on April 25, 2014. Until then my search continues for the other previous incarnation of the Doctor. It appears my next Doctor experience may come in November at the CHICAGO TARDIS... we shall see, until then keep your friends close and your enemies closer... GERONIMOOOOOOO!!!!

Story and Photos by Ken Rodriguez

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2E2 2013 001.JPG 
Views:	1000 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	83072  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.