REVIEW: SDCC REVIEW: Mattel DC Comics Vertigo Death “Figure”

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC REVIEW: Mattel DC Comics Vertigo Death “Figure”

The Endless Beauty With Limited Display Options...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

First appearing in the acclaimed comic series The Sandman in 1989, Neil Gaiman’s character Death has gone on to become one of the writer’s most beloved and popular characters, spawning her own titles and developing of following of her own. Yet despite her popularity, there is only a small amount of merchandise dedicated to her and the other Endless, and only around five figures/statues/busts of Death herself. Well fans have reason to celebrate as Mattel adds another Death collectible to the line-up with their own take on the gothic girl.

Mattel’s Death figure is more of a statue than an action figure, being dubbed “stactions” by fans, standing at 8 inches tall rather than being in scale with their established DC Universe Classics line. Why it was decided to introduce a new product line and scale is unclear but I’m sure I’m not the only fan that's disappointed Death towers over all of my other figures. It was said in a Q&A that they are trying something new out and if it does well we can expect to see an entire in-scale line of the Endless, but it remains to be seen if the Death figure sales met the expectations needed to produce the line.

The figure comes packaged in a dioramic window box that is in turn boxed inside an outer shipper all featuring artwork by former Death/Sandman artist Jill Thompson. While not my favorite choice of artwork for Death (as I find her style a little too cartoony) many fans will be thrilled to see a familiar artist lending her talents to the character. The outer box is completely black all-over, but features Death’s face on the front and her ankh symbol on the back. The figure’s box is made to look like a cemetery, with trees on the corners of the packaging and large windows in between. The interior insert continues the theme with a painted backdrop with the figure placed in the middle. The rear of the box features another Jill T. art piece featuring Death in the cemetery.

The sculpting on the figure is pretty straight forward as Death doesn’t have a complex costume or overly unique features. Small details such as the wrinkles in her shirt, her studded belt, and corded Ankh necklace are definitely appreciated. The likeness seems to be Mattel’s own interpretation of the character rather than going with an established look, although it looks closest to me to David Finch’s cover to Action Comics #894. To be honest, something about the face is very distracting and I think it’s the eyes. The coloring makes her seem very lifeless and I know that’s funny talking about Death but it is made worse by the fact she looks wall-eyed. The paint scheme on the figure is black and grey which is another distracting thing as Death’s skin should be more white than grey. The figure stands on top of a skull shaped base that is removable and extremely goofy-looking.

While I personally have a lot of gripes about the piece, Death is a great character and I’m happy to have a figure of her in my collection. Hopefully we will see the other Endless characters in the future (Delirium!) as it would be great to see a set of them all in the same scale.

Review & Photos by Michael Klein

Review Sample Courtesy of Mattel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04975.jpg 
Views:	4429 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	31521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04976.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	31531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04977.jpg 
Views:	4099 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	31541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04978.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	379.3 KB 
ID:	31551   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04979.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	388.5 KB 
ID:	31561  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04980.jpg 
Views:	789 
Size:	415.3 KB 
ID:	31571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04981.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	31581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04982.jpg 
Views:	5209 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	31591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04983.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	31601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04984.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	31611  

Name:	DSC04988.jpg 
Views:	4391 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	31612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04989.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	31622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04990.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	31632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04991.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	31642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04993.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	31652  

Name:	DSC04994.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	31662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04995.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	31672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04996.jpg 
Views:	1871 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	31682  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 09-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.