Events: DOCTOR WHO: Alive and Well at Chicago Comic Con

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

DOCTOR WHO: Alive and Well at Chicago Comic Con

Whovians Flock To Recent Convention...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

Greetings fellow Whovians and Time Lords, my name is Ken (unfortunately not from the planet Gallifrey) and I am a Doctor Who fan of over 30 years. Last week I decided to attend the Chicago Comic Con for all four days to investigate all things Doctor Who. The last convention I attended was back in the nineties therefore, I did not expect much of a Doctor Who presence... I was wrong.

Now, understand the Wizard World Chicago Comic Con is pretty much all things comic books and related merchandise with a touch of science fiction and a dab of horror. My five year mission, if I choose to accept, is to investigate the pop culture phenomenon that exists across the pond and has been making its way over stateside, now more than ever. Doctor Who has arrived! Keep in mind for a convention that did not have any celebrities from the show or official representation for that matter, Doctor Who was alive and well.

My first encounter, immediately to the right of the main entrance, was a life size Dalek standing (What else would a Dalek be doing... besides exterminating the whole human race!) in front of an all-exclusive Doctor Who exhibit with action figures, sonic screwdrivers from the 3rd, 4th, 10th, and 11th Doctor, posters of all sizes, and an almost life-size cut out of the gorgeous Amy Pond, played by Karen Gillian; a ginger as she is called in London for her fiery red hair. Although, I believe it has a negative association over there which baffles me as she is most brilliant and did I mention gorgeous?

Ok, so my first taste of Doctor Who at a "con" was awesome, then off to the distance I saw him, could it be him? Well actually no but it was a good likeness of a young 4th Doctor (originally played by Tom Baker). I had to shake his hand, take his picture and asked him if he has seen an increase in the world of Doctor Who here in the States. He stated, that since the successful revamp of the Doctor Who series in 2005 there has been an increasing fan base throughout the United States. Now I am not talking about fans like those in England where excitement equates clapping ones hands more than 3 times. I am talking about over the edge, high intensity, deep passionate fans who not only cheer, clap, and wave in all things Doctor Who but also dress up and imitate the main cast members and not-so main cast members.

These are die-hard Whovians or Gallifreyans who eat jelly babies for breakfast and never leave home without their sonic screwdriver. I was impressed that the young man in his early twenties choose to imitate and dress up like the 4th Doctor, a doctor who was off the air before this young man was even born! A quick side note, the 11th Doctor sonic screwdriver is well... bloody awesome, it is much bigger than the others (no I don't have sonic envy), has a bigger green light and it expands with the press of a button (again, I don't have sonic envy). Well after eating a jelly baby (yeah, this guy had a bag of jelly babies to complete the look... again bloody brilliant) I decided to continue my search in all things Doctor Who.

In the four days spent at the Chicago Comic Con, I discovered over a dozen and a half of people (old and young alike) dressed up from the various incarnations of the Doctor and supporting cast, even females were dressed up as the Doctor. As of yet there has not been a female actor to take on that challenging role, this too may change in the future. One of the best group shots I did take had a young lady dressed up as a Weeping Angel, you guys remember the Angels don't you? Whatever you do, don't blink!!

In my various interviews with the folks dressed up as Doctor Who characters, there was a common theme as to why the popularity of Doctor Who has increased over the past three plus years, it was the re-launch of the show combined with clever writing, advance special effects (bye, bye rubber suit monsters), and of course brilliant acting. The re-launch began in 2005, after a nine year hiatus. The original broadcast began on November 23, 1963. Next year will mark the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who. There should be some exciting events planned both in London and here in the United States! Well, time for me to "fly" as I continue to investigate all things Doctor Who (five year mission, remember?). Until then, just think of me as the mad man in the blue box. Geromino!!!!!!

Story and Photos by Ken Rodriguez

(Future Time Lord, or would that be the past if things were reversed but bypassed a fixed place in time such as the here and now or would that be the here and then?)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A thing of beauty, brings a tear to my eye.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	30691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A father and son event, Captain Jack Harkness and  the 10th Dr..JPG 
Views:	1408 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	30692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A lady doctor (#4), still popular after 38 years.JPG 
Views:	6403 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	30693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A young Matt Smith look alike with the dressing room...I mean TARDIS.JPG 
Views:	4699 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	30694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A young Tom Baker (Dr. # 4), with delicious jelly babies to boot.JPG 
Views:	3207 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	30695  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dalek spending time at the Chicago Wizard Con.JPG 
Views:	400 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	30696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave Tennant and Matt Smith, side by side.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	30697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dr. Who action figure, ready for action.JPG 
Views:	451 
Size:	189.6 KB 
ID:	30698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	even the kiddos are gettin in on the act.JPG 
Views:	2841 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	30699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exterminate - Exterminate..JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	30700  

Name:	Going inside the TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space).JPG 
Views:	404 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	30701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The jr cast of Dr. Who, weeping angel included.JPG 
Views:	9771 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	30702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The lovely Amy Pond, ok a cardboard cut out will have to do for now..JPG 
Views:	1075 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	30703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The TARDIS makes an appearance as a dressing room.JPG 
Views:	2213 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	30704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the tenth doctor makes an appearance, well sort of....JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	30705  

Name:	vintage Dr. Who movie posters.JPG 
Views:	861 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	30706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whoa, who let him in.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	30707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wowza, a live TARDIS.JPG 
Views:	340 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	30708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yes, even the Master made it to the Chicago Comi Con.JPG 
Views:	1794 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	30709  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 03-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.