REVIEW: REVIEW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection - LEONARDO

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection - LEONARDO

Sword Swingin' Turtle Takes the Spotlight...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

Twenty four years ago, the collective minds of kids across America were stricken with a "Turtle Fever" in a way that nobody could expect. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the animated series had introduced kids who weren’t reading comic books to mutation and other dimensions. The toys produced by Playmates were fun but not exactly a perfect representation of what was seen on the show. At long last, Playmates Toys brings us the CLASSIC COLLECTION that includes the original four turtles - Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo - completely redone with new looks inspired by the original animated series from 1988. Much in the same way that G.I.Joe 30th Anniversary series and Transformers Masterpiece has reenergized my interest in the characters I’ve grown up with, the same applies here because these figures kick so much shell. They kick so much shell in fact that I need to focus on one at a time because they’re that cool.

Leonardo, the dutiful leader of the turtles, was probably my favorite of the four (with Raph being a close second). I always had an affinity for the color blue and what kid isn’t fascinated with swords?

Scale is a new thing on these Turtles as they’re much taller than the 6” scale (almost appropriate for Masters of the Universe Classics). It makes these turtles even more display worthy. The sculpt on Leonardo is also pretty darn close to perfect. Its expression is stunningly similar to the vintage expression without looking confused or scared, this updated Leo is stern and ready for battle.

Articulation on these Turtles is also greatly improved from the vintage figures that had only about seven points. These new figures boast 34 points of articulation! It says so on the box! But my own count, there’s about 40 unique joints (two in the thumb alone) so that’s quite an impressive count. There’s basically enough joints to do all the poses you’ve always wanted to do. Some joints are slightly looser than others so you might need some support for some of the crazier poses.

Leonardo comes with only his two signature katana blades and a manhole figure stand. The katanas are painted blue and silver and fit into his back sheath.

Now one thing I definitely have to bring up is toon vs toy accuracy. The packaging of these new Classic Collection figures is reminiscent of the vintage toy packaging with stone bricks breaking away to reveal the character. But the packaging itself states that these figures are inspired by the original TMNT animated series. But if they truly were inspired by the toon, the belt buckle should be gray and the colors of the Turtles each should be the same green hue as well. Leonardo also has a shoulder strap for additional support, something that was absent in the toon but doubled in the original figure. It’s a good balance overall and something I don’t mind too much. The most important thing is that these are truly toon inspired sculpts and with improved articulation to boot. These are the definitive vintage Turtles we’ve all been waiting for and I can only hope that Playmates is planning an entire line of villains to go along with it.

Leonardo and the other Turtles are available at retail for about $15-17 NOW!

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Classic Collection Leo Courtesy of Playmates Toys

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0001.jpg 
Views:	18321 
Size:	254.0 KB 
ID:	30650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0002.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	30651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0003.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	30652   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0004.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	30653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0005.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	30654  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0006.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	30655   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0007.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	30656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0008.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	30657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0009.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	30658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0010.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	30659  

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0011.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	30660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0012.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	30661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0013.jpg 
Views:	15914 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	30662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0014.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	30663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0015.jpg 
Views:	23773 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	30664  

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0016.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	30665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0017.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	30666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0018.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	30667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0019.jpg 
Views:	146940 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	30668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSLEO_0020.jpg 
Views:	41613 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	30669  

Name:	1leoVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	41578 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	30670  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 08-22-2012 at 08:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.