Movies/TV/Games: BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Raid - Redemption

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Raid - Redemption

The Most Exciting Action Film of the Millennium Hits Hi-Def Home Video...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

The Raid - Redemption is the best action movie of the new millennium.

Now that's a big claim, but it's hard to remember a time when I've seen a film that's so jam packed with action and excited me so much, I re-watched it twice in the same night. Seriously, The Raid - Redemption is an action fan's dream come true. Loaded with suspense, gun battles galore, and some of the most impressive martial arts ever captured on film, The Raid - Redemption is, simply put, 101 minutes of marvelous mayhem.

Of course, a film isn't worth watching if it only includes action. Thankfully, The Raid - Redemption also includes an interesting take on the typical police S.W.A.T. story. Set in Jakarta, Welsh-born written/directed Gareth Evans, whose previous film Merantau was a masterpiece, brings The Raid - Redemption to life thanks to his teaming up once again with Merantau star Iko Uwais. Uwais plays S.W.A.T. Police Officer Rama, a dedicated service member with a pregnant wife at home and a van full of well armed brother officers at his back. Trained for anything and ready to take down a 30-story building filled with drug dealers, gunrunners, and criminals of every types, Rama and his fellow team members enter the building at daybreak, taking the criminals by surprise. However, when the S.W.A.T. team finds itself ambushed on the 6th floor, there's only two options: fight their way out or die trying. It's at this point pure survival instinct takes over and - literally - kicks in. Police procedures be damned, it's kill or be killed and arresting the criminals takes a back seat to blocking the machete being swung at your head and cutting the villain to ribbons with your duty blade. Seriously, this film is stocked full of the some of the most viscous, violent, and brutal martial arts in any film ever. Marketed as "Unrated," this film is not for the faint of heart.

Writer/director Evans' story, though primarily driven by and focused on the Silat martial arts action, is extremely well paced and includes enough character development to keep most film fans entertained. There's not a moment the film isn't progressing. Rama, with a pregnant wife at home, makes for a fine protagonist with the will to live and do anything to survive. Of course, we likewise learn to feel the same for some of the residence of the building, innocent bystanders of this horrible event who - should they choose to help the police and put their lives on the line - could die just as violently as the officers. Thus, when death becomes a commonplace and main characters begin to meet their end, we are effected and feel for them and their comrades who still must struggle to survive. Of course, we want to see what they'll do to the criminals too. Filled with shoot outs, knife fights, and fisticuffs galore, this dynamic film makes for great entertainment for action fans with the intestinal fortitude to watch it.

Thanks to a 1080p hi-def picture, the movie is gorgeous and wonderfully delivers the dark, dank atmosphere of the apartment building while ensuring movement stay clear, crisp, and clean. With so much action happening, it's hard to see everything, yet thanks to solid camera work, interesting use of camera angles, and an eye for what to shoot and when, the picture always stays clear and understandable. Likewise, the sound effects are spot-on and likewise intense. Whether it be the hacking of machetes, the cutting of blades, the crack of gunfire, or the intense fists beating body armor, each and every bullet, blow, and cut comes through clean and clear. The Indonesian/Bahasa dialogue is easily heard and the English subtitles are easy to read. Well worth noting, the sound track features music from Linkin Park's Mike Shinoda, so it's hard not to love the audio intensity of The Raid - Redemption.

As for special features, the film includes an audio commentary with writer/director Evans, which is fun for those who enjoy feature commentary. He chats about his working in his home country and Indonesia, his influences, his styles, his shooting techniques, and more. Interesting for those wanting to delve deeper into the making of the film, it's worth a listen. A number of short featurettes on everything from the music, sets, stunts and visual effects to the choreographed fights and post production are also included and well worth watching if you enjoy the film and want to know even more about how it was made. Likewise, a 40 minute "An Evening with Gareth Evans, Mike Shinoda & Joe Trapanese" is a round table of sorts with moderator Hadrian Belove which answers some interesting questions about the film. The 11 minute "Behind the Music with Mike Shinoda and Joe Trapanese" chats with the musical composers behind the film's score; a fun watch for those who want to know more about the musical score. An interesting 3 minute "Claycat's The Raid" is the movie remade with claymation cats (seriously) while the 44 second "THE RAID TV Show ad" is a stylized animated TV spot for the film which should make some fans smile. Lastly, the film's theatrical trailer is also included.

Overall, there's not much more praise I can give The Raid - Redemption. Its story is solid, its characters fleshed out and real, and its action beyond intense. It's actually somewhat disappointing and depressing US filmmakers can't deliver something this impressive on a budget this tight. After all, The Raid - Redemption was made for only $1.1 million, a drop in the bucket for some of today's biggest Hollywood action films. And, all things considered, The Raid - Redemption is by far one of the most entertaining film's I've seen in the last five years. I've already watched it four times and I'm watching it now as I type this review. If you're an action film fan and want to see the best the world has to offer, it doesn't get any better than The Raid - Redemption.

The Raid - Redemption is available now on blu-ray and DVD wherever fine home video is sold.

- Jess C. Horsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the raid.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	30512  
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Raid - Redemption

WOW. *Runs to bump Raid The Redemption to top slot on Netflix*

Seriously Jeff, forget The Expendables 2, this film truly is the best action movie of the millennium.

Wholly enjoyable, well made and just pure awesome from start to finish. I managed to catch it in theaters and it blew me away. Glad to see that the DVD release got some good special features to go along with this amazing film. Highly recommended!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The Expendables 2? LOL, where did that come from?! Hardly on my must-see list. While it's mind-boggling that Expendables 2 has every action star on the planet in it, I was far from impressed with the first one. I'd say the last hyper-action film I can recall was the end scene in Avengers. End scene of Immortals was cool. The second half of Rambo 4 and a cool foreign samurai flick called 13 Assassins were pretty kicking too. I'm looking forward to Raid - Redemption immensely. Expendables 2? Not so much.

Ah I just mentioned Expendables 2 because it's coming out this week and because it's your typical big-budget Hollywood actionfest. I just thought the comparison relevant. Needless to say it won't top The Raid but if it turns out better than the first one (which is not hard whatsoever) then I'll be happy ha ha.

No worries - I got ya and totally agree. Just saw my name associated with Expendables 2 and felt compelled to explain my stance on it When you see that many names in ONE movie I immediately begin to worry. There's just no way you can let every character shine (though Avengers did a dang good job of that, I was surprised!) We'll see (when it hits Netflix , but I don't have high hopes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.