REVIEW: REVIEW: Playmates' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

REVIEW: Playmates' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Collection

The Definitive Vintage Turtle Toys We’ve All Been Waiting For...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

It’s been 24 years since the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles graced the small screen and started a new craze in the toy industry. I was right there when it started and a bit reluctant to get involved because I was spoiled rotten by G.I.Joe articulation. Playmates Toys' original Ninja Turtles figures were pretty limited in what they could do, but because I loved the show so much, I was sucked in. I bought every figure but secretly wished that the toys I owned were more like the cartoon. In Playmates original line, "Toon Turtles" were eventually introduced but they were a bit too cartoonish and by then, the kids had mostly grown up were beginning to lose interest.

Fast forward to 2012: Playmates Toys are bringing to us the CLASSIC COLLECTION; the original four turtles - Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo - completely redone with new looks inspired by the original animated series from 1988. Much in the same way that the G.I.Joe 30th Anniversary Series and the Transformers Masterpiece Series has reenergized my interest in the characters I grew up with, the same applies to these "new" Turtles. They kick so much shell; so much so that I need to focus on one at a time.

Raphael was one of my favorites as a kid, a lot of which has to do with the voice talent behind the character. The wise-cracking Turtle with the red colors and deadly sais comes sculpted just as if he stepped right out of the cartoon. Much of his expression resembles the vintage figure and that’s okay with me because it’s the classic Turtle expression. I really don’t know what else to say about it because it’s absolutely perfect. The stern expression in the eyes is exactly the right amount.

Scale is a new thing on these Turtles as they’re slightly taller than the 6” scale (almost appropriate for Masters of the Universe Classics or Thundercats Classics). It makes these turtles even more display worthy.

Articulation on these Turtles is also greatly improved from the vintage figures. The original toys had only about seven points. These new figures boast 34 points of articulation. It says so on the box! But by my own count, there’s about 40 unique joints (two in the thumb alone). 34 or 40, it's still quite an impressive count. There’s basically enough joints to do all the poses you’ve always wanted to do. Some joints are slightly looser than others so you might need some support for some of the crazier poses.

Raphael comes his two signature sais and a sewer manhole figure stand. The sais are painted red and silver and fit into his belt. They can also fit into his hands in a variety of ways, but depending on how tight the finger joints are on your figure, they may or may not hold. Still, I like that the option IS available so if you wanted a tighter fit, you can always find ways to achieve that.

Now one thing I definitely have to bring up is 'toon vs toy accuracy. The packaging of these new TMNT Classic Collection figures is reminiscent of the vintage toy packaging, with stone bricks breaking away to reveal the character. However, the packaging itself states that these figures are inspired by the original TMNT animated series. But if they truly were inspired by the toon, the belt buckle should be gray and the colors of the Turtles each should be the same green hue as well. In the end, these are minor issues in the grand scheme of it. What’s most important is that these are truly toon inspired sculpts and with great articulation to boot. These are the definitive vintage Turtles we’ve all been waiting for and I can only hope that Playmates is planning an entire line of villains to go along with it.

Raphael and the other turtles will be available at retail for about $15 each in August or you can find them for sale already on Amazon.

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Classic Collection Raphael Courtesy of Playmates Toys

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0001.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	29901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0002.jpg 
Views:	1042 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	29902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0003.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	29903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0004.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	29904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0005.jpg 
Views:	6818 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	29905  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0006.jpg 
Views:	729 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	29906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0007.jpg 
Views:	643 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	29907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0008.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	29908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0009.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	29909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0010.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	29910  

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0011.jpg 
Views:	13662 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	29911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0012.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	29912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0013.jpg 
Views:	22307 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	29913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0014.jpg 
Views:	11501 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	29914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0015.jpg 
Views:	10996 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	29915  

Name:	CLASSICSRAPH_0016.jpg 
Views:	46757 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	29916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ralphPACK.jpg 
Views:	26762 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	29917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ralphVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	35300 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	29918  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.