Movies/TV/Games: SDCC12: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC12: Aliens: Colonial Marines

Game Over Man!...

Be sure and enter Sideshow's SDCC Captain American Bucky Barnes Premium Format Figure Giveaway!

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, and MonkeyDepot.com.

For action figures, statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

Word quickly spread at San Diego Comic-Con that a life-size Queen Alien was on display (pictured above). Located across from the convention at 200 Harbor Drive was the SEGA Arcade. Fans entering the building were treated to the cool creature spectacle, along with some fully kitted up Colonial Marines (below). The best part, however, was being able to demo the multiplayer on Aliens: Colonial Marines, the upcoming video game developed by Gearbox Software and published by SEGA.

While waiting in line to play as a Colonial Marine, players had the opportunity to watch the four SEGA team members playing as the opposing side, the Aliens. Standard xenomorphs were in play, with an occasional "heavy" bull-like alien thrown into the mix. From watching the Alien enemies in action, it looked like the Marines stood no chance. In addition to having Alien vision that allowed them to see through walls, the Alien warriors processed the ability to travel through air ducts and climb walls and ceilings with ease. The element of surprise was truly on the Alien's side. Their weapons included lunging jaws, claws and a devastating impaling tail attack (it goes to a quick cut scene if you get killed this way).

Once I got the lowdown on the controls (typical shooter stuff), I prepared to gear up and take on the horde (4 against 4). Marine players had a selection of weapons to start with, from the standard issue pulse rifle with grenade launcher (good range, poor close damage), to a powerful auto-shotgun (poor range, good close damage). With pulse rifle in hand I engaged the enemy with my team. Sticking together was our initial strategy, everyone doing their part in watching overhead and our flank. Two battle fields were in circulation: an indoor and outdoor map. Our team received the latter. With storage bins scattered about, the threat of Aliens attacking from above was high. With Aliens attacking from all sides, I soon separated from the group to locate the caves - a place the SEGA rep informed us held a bonus power-up weapon: the Smart Gun. Did I find it? Heck yes, and it seriously doles out damage. The Smart Gun doesn't last long, but when you have it, you rule. I also found the grenade launcher useful. While limited to only 5 grenades, I made good use of them as the Aliens attacked my teammates. Marine players also have the use of a Motion Tracker. It's a button press away, but when activated, your weapon lowers. I found it distracting and relied purely on my field of vision. I racked up close to 10 kills in my 5 minutes of game play, earning a "you did really well" from the SEGA rep. My years of first-person shooter gaming prepared me for this moment. I can't wait for the full game to experience more multiplayer, especially playing as the Aliens, as well as playing through the solo campaign. CLICK HERE for more SDCC SEGA Arcade photos.

Aliens: Colonial Marines releases February 12, 2013 for the PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and WiiU. Fans can pre-order the Aliens: Colonial Marines Collector's Edition now (see our story HERE) which includes a Powerloader vs. Xenomorph statue, sure to please the most discerning Alien collector.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1queenBee.JPG 
Views:	8695 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	29521  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 07-18-2012 at 01:48 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: SDCC12: Aliens: Colonial Marines

I can't tell you how excited I am for this game. 5 long years of waiting are almost over.

SEGA had a good thing going with their gaming lounge. With the cosplayers and prop replica thrown in, the venue was a very nice treat. And the line wasn't nearly as crazy as say the Resident Evil 6 demo inside the hall.

Even if the game only consisted of multiplayer deathmatch I'd buy it. The gameplay was fluid and functional, the visuals were spectacular and it was just a ton of fun to play. Our team would have won if it hadn't been for the Bull Alien, which mowed down our entire team ha ha.

From what I experienced Aliens: Colonial Marines is shaping up to be an awesome game and you can bet I'll be picking that up the day it drops.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.