Diamond/DST: Universal Monsters Series 3

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Universal Monsters Series 3

New assortment brings Phantoms, Mutants and an (Invisible) Man...

TRU Assortment

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

Diamond Select Toys' annual tradition of delivering fans 7-inch figures of their favorite Universal Monsters continues this year with an all-new assortment: Series 3.

At comic shops and specialty stores (figures pictured below), horror fans will be able to pick up the Metaluna Mutant from 1955's This Island Earth. With his bulging brain and claws, he conveys all the menace of the movie creature, and he even comes with the Interocitor, the device that allows humans to contact the Metalunans. Alongside the Metaluna Mutant will be the Phantom from Phantom of the Opera (1925), complete with his full-sized organ, which he plays in the catacombs of the opera house. Both will be available in oversized Select display packaging, with side panel art perfect for storing on a shelf.

Toys "R" Us (wave pictured top) will get their own exclusive figure in the Invisible Man, from the 1933 film of the same name. Jack Griffin is depicted with his goggles and false nose, and comes with a small display base. Toys "R" Us will also get a variation on the Phantom, one that wears a coat and mask, and comes with a violin and music stand instead of the organ. There will also be a more basic version of the Mutant at TRU, minus the Interocitor. All of these figures will come in smaller blister-card packaging.

"Select" Assortment

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MetalunaSelect1.jpg 
Views:	2165 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	27043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhantomSelect1.jpg 
Views:	2121 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	27044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	um3TRU.jpg 
Views:	3671 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	27045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invisible_TRU1.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	27046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metaluna_TRU1.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	27047  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phantom_TRU1.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	27048  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Universal Monsters Series 3

I just finally got my hands on the TRU exclusive Wolfman from a couple of years ago so I am finally all caught up and so ready for these.

Bring 'em on baby!

Sweet old school monster goodness!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone know some details about the Diamond Universal Monsters line I have questions about? I was able to find Wave 1 at my local TRU no problem. Wave 2 never showed. I bough the two deluxe figures but there’s no Bride available that way and there‘s no way I can swing 100+ for one. I see there’s a box set coming with her in it but is it only in B&W? I’d like to have my set consistent.

Do they ever intend to reissue the TRU figures in color or in a deluxe package? I find it odd that the Wolfman wasn’t given that treatment given how popular he is but the Mantulla Mutant was.

And how can I avoid missing series 3 at TRU if my store doesn’t get them in? I had even thought they’d been cancelled because when I looked online last fall nothing came up.

And from the Toy Fair photos it looks like the Hunchback and the Mole Man will be in wave 4 along with a 3rd figure. Anyone know who that is? It looks like Mr. Hyde or London After Midnight but neither one is a Universal Monster film. I hope they’re not going to just rehash the 15 figures Sideshow did about 10 years ago. I’d like to see some new monsters included. King Kong is now owned by Universal and used to be in the Universal Monsters figure lines. Will he be included in this new line? And since Diamond has done The Munsters I’d like to see them do Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein as a box set. Anyone think that’s a possibility?

But mainly, where can I find a Bride of Frankenstein without breaking the bank or is Diamond going to reissue her so I only need to wait it out?

Thanks!

1) First your Series 4 Toy Fair question was answered with our Toy Fair story HERE: https://www.figures.com/forums/news/1...-monsters.html

Universal Monsters Wave 4:

* Toys"R"Us - Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mole Person and Dr. Jekyll

* "Select" - Hunchback with Gargoyle and Mr. Hyde with Rooftop

2) Yes, Bride will be released in a B&W set (see HERE). A color reissue though? Highly unlikely. They haven't reissued any of series 1 (asides from the B&W set, which I do belive IS Diamond's way of getting them back in stores)

3) Sounds like you need to find a new Toys"R"Us. Mine's like that too where they'll stock stuff well for awhile, then won't carry some things. I'd pre-order online from a retailer if you want to insure you get all your monsters. I see BigBadToyStore.com had the Bride, but she's sold out now. So yeah, retailers can and do carry TRU exclusives sometimes. Otherwise, not sure what to say - could ask your TRU to see what's up or try a new one.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't find that link with a search. What Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde film is he from? Hyde looks like the Frederick Marsh version but not Jekyll.

How long do they have the rights for the Universal Monsters? Does anyone know? I'd like to see them do Dr. Petrorious from Bride of Frankenstein.

I haven't bought any of the B&W reissues so forgive my question. Are they always the TRU versions in B&W? I read Dracula was sculpted different between the two.

Why couldn't they ever reissue the colored versions? I've seen other toy lines do that with exclusives. If it's in different packaging the collectors usually don't care. It seems like a waste to release a sculpt on a limited basis like that when they could make more money by having it in continued circulation for a bit.

I've talked to my local TRU and they said that they get what they get. The nearest ones other than this one is 2 hours in either direction so there's no way for me to check up on them. Wave 1 hit my store 2 weeks before Halloween so I began looking online around then too and came up with nothing.

I'll try that site you mentioned. About when do they hit? Late August or when in September? I don't want to be left in the cold again.

Are they planning to do the Munsters in B&W too?

What's the story on this Wolfman exclusive in the background. Does Entertainment earth share the TRU versions or is he different?

Thanks!

http://toyfair2011.figures.com/data/630/DSCN2059.JPG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.