Movies/TV/Games: BOX OFFICE REVIEW: Lockout

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BOX OFFICE REVIEW: Lockout

Producer Luc Besson returns with cool new near-future actioner...

For all of your theater needs, check out Wehrenberg Theaters.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, Toynk.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

Now the basic premise of Lockout isn't really that original: a prison break leads to a hostage situation and there's only one man who can save the day. Of course, when the prison in question is in space, one of the hostages is the President's daughter, and the one man who can save the day is an ex-CIA agent who's currently preparing for a 30-year stint in the same prison he's supposed to breach, the story gets a lot more interesting.

Thus is the plot of the latest film from producer Luc Besson, whose repertoire of slam-bang, non-stop, action extravaganzas include such fan-favorites as Taken, The Fifth Element, La Femme Nikita, District B13, and Unleashed among others. With such a filmography behind him, it's no wonder Besson's fans are excited to check out Lockout, the new sci-fi feature starring Guy Pearce and Maggie Grace.

Now the film is set in the near future of 2079 and, while this future is recognizable with plenty of familiarity, there are somethings which just seem a bit far-fetched - including one-wheeled motorcycles, skydiving from low orbit, and - of course - the whole prison in the sky thing. That said, most of Besson's movies require a lot of suspension of disbelief. Lockout of course is no different, so viewers should know going in this isn't a film that'll make anyone smarter or change the world. What it will do is make your pulse pound from time to time with some brilliantly conceived action sequences and make you laugh from the non-stop one-liners Pearce's character Snow can't stop spouting. Let's be honest, the guy is a walking, talking machismo who takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'...all while never forgetting to add a wise crack or smart remark.

Grace plays the scared hostage well...though fans already know that from having watched her in Taken. You'd think she'd get tired of playing that sort of role, but thankfully Grace's character here - Emilie Warnock - has a bit more backbone and stands up for herself throughout the film.

Lockout doesn't try to be anything it's not - it's quick-witted, fast-paced, sometimes hard on the eyes, and always moving; all good things when it comes to an action picture. All that said, it falls short of Besson's previous work if not for the sheer fact he's only the story originator and producer here. James Mather and Stephen St. Leger, both first time feature directors with Lockout, deliver a solid film with a good eye for camera angles and action, though had Besson been behind the camera, I have a feeling the film would have been much different...and better.

All and all, Lockout churns out fun, excitement and entertainment throughout its 110 minutes. It might go overboard in style and panache at times, but it also made me laugh out loud, cling to the edge of my seat, and cheer for the characters. Considering few films make me do all three, Lockout seems like a great film to add to my "guilty pleasures" list in 2012.

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, and language including some sexual references, Lockout is now showing at a theater near you.

Be sure to check out Wehrenberg Theaters for a number of special upcoming events, including this weekend's Lockdown TNA Wrestling LIVE and, in three weeks, the Marvel Marathon!

- Jess C. Horsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lockout.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	26861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marvel Marathon Wehrenberg.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	26862   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TNA.jpg 
Views:	559 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	26863  
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: BOX OFFICE REVIEW: Lockout

Hi...

Sounds much the same as many others I've seem...could almost be another Die Hard movie, or Claude van Damme.

i saw this movie over the weekend and i must say that i agree with the reviewer here. i mean, this movie falls victim to all the stereotypes: smart mouthed hero, damsel in distress, the a-hole commanding officer... it had it all but it did it well. i do feel that the movie could have stood to be a bit longer. it felt as though things ended much too suddenly. but again, it wasn't a bad movie. the reviewer also said that had luc besson actually directed the movie, it would have been better, a sentiment i totally agree with. the formula was there, all it needed was a bit more polish.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

genefactor - thx, I'm glad you enjoyed my review. The issue I had with the movie wasn't so much how it was done, but why it was done. I LOVED that it seemed to almost make fun of itself at times and that is what made it so darn engaging and fun. The first five minutes were HILARIOUS and I laughed out loud at how many wise-arse jokes and punches to the face Snow could make and take.

You are right exactly that the end seemed really rushed...and - I can't believe I'm saying this - unbelievable. Even with all the other ridiculousness in the movie, the ending still seemed a bit far-fetched to me. Could have been another 15-20 minutes longer and explored some additional ideas and action and been much much better overall.
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.