CARD BACK: Anjon's DRAGON'S LAIR 3D (2002)

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Anjon's DRAGON'S LAIR 3D (2002)

Cool figures from the Don Bluth arcade classic...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance, the official insurance company of the Figures.com network. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, PastGenerationToys.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

As a kid growing up in the '80s, visiting a place called an "arcade" was one of my favorite pastimes. You don't see many arcades these days, with online home gaming erasing what once was a huge social event. I mean it's great that we can all play the hottest games in the comfort of our own homes, but the exciting electronic atmosphere of an arcade is sorely missed.

Depressing cultural reflections aside, one of my favorite arcade games was Dragon's Lair. Introduced in 1983, Dragon's Lair was like controlling a cartoon, the laser disc technology allowing for animated graphics that were light years beyond anything else out there. The catch was that it cost double what other games required to play and, despite its simple "move joystick here NOW!" controls, was extremely difficult to master. One second off in timing your move and the game's hero - Dirk the Daring - was left dying an often hilarious death. Entertaining to watch. Not so funny when your hard-earned 50 cents is on the line. Luckily there was almost always one person in the arcade that was a Dragon's Lair master. On those days it was like gaining entry to a free movie: simple grab a spot by the machine and watch the animated adventure unfold as the pro did his work.

Needless to say, these Dragon's Lair action figures were long over due for this passionate fan. Unfortunately, not every collector shared my fond memories of the game. Despite a new version of Dragon's Lair (3D) released in conjunction with the figures, they failed to perform at retail. Shame, I'd die to have my hands on a Lizard King toy and the countless other beautifully animated Don Bluth characters.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragons_Lair (front).JPG 
Views:	782 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	26306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragons_Lair (back).JPG 
Views:	1130 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	26307  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Anjon's DRAGON'S LAIR 3D (2002)

I thought these figs were great too.

Bought the whole set the day they hit the stores.

Too bad we never got to see the other series they had planned make it to stores.

And I would love to see Gentle Giant or Sideshow or somebody make a sculpture (aka "environment") of the castle in that backing card art. I love it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.