Events: BEST OF 2011 - Best Horror Toys

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BEST OF 2011 - Best Horror Toys

Creepy cool collectibles we dared to collect...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For Gears of War and other collectible video game statues and replicas, visit TriForce.

#4 MCFARLANE TOYS' THE WALKING DEAD

While smaller (and a tad more expensive) than fans had hoped for, McFarlane Toys' stab at The Walking Dead was a welcome horror addition to the action figure aisle. The AMC series is sizzling hot, the Figures.com team not missing an episode, but McFarlane's ambitious project went beyond the show to also feature the hit comic. With two assortments to choose from, horror hounds had plenty of zombie and zombie-slayer action to choose from. The proposed action features had us initially concerned, but after getting our hands on the awesome Zombie Lurker that gruesomely pulled apart, we were sold. A great zombie TV series AND action figures? What's not to love?

#2 NECA'S GREMLINS

Unless a movie is a current blockbuster with loads of planned product tie-ins (ie: Star Wars, Transformers, et al), the chance of collectors receiving action figures of all their favorite secondary characters is very slim. Odds for an '80s movie, no matter how classic it has now become, are even worse - borderlining on zero. NECA defied the odds this year by returning to Gremlins (specifically Gremlins 2), Joe Dante's tale of mischievious monsters run amok. Originally released as a four figure assortment way back in 2005, NECA's new batch of Gremlins featured today's state-of-the-art sculpting and paint. Even their articulation has been vastly improved with the adorable mogwai's now sporting moveable eyeballs! The best part is that NECA didn't just stop at four characters. Already fans have six of the cool creatures in mogwai and gremlin form (7 if you count the SDCC exclusive Gizmo!). Even more are planned for 2012, including Combat Gizmo (ahem, Rambo) and the unique Lightening Gremlin (as well as Lenny in Gremlin form!). Our fingers are crossed that the planned Spider Gremlin sees release.

#2 DST'S UNIVERSAL MONSTERS/ MUNSTERS

Diamond Select Toys hit a horror doubleheader this year with the continuation of their classic Universal Monsters and the debut of one of the craziest families to grace TV: The Munsters. Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and The Bride picked up where The Creature, Mummy and Wolfman left off in 2010, treating fans to a trio of silver screen scream legends that no collection should be without. Most exciting was the introduction of the new Legacy Series, returning Series 1's popular monsters as they were meant to be: in classic black and white. More retro thrills could be found with Jean St. Jean's faithful recreations of the Munsters. Grandpa, Herman and Lily looked like they stepped off the television screen. The deluxe "Select" Munsters were the ones to pick up for loads of excellent accessories, the bonus electric chair further incentative to collect them all. Here's hoping we get the rest of the Munsters family and hey, we'll take The Addams Family while you're at it...

#1 NECA'S A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET

Much like their dedication to Gremlins, NECA went all out with Wes Craven's dream-slashin' creation A Nightmare on Elm Street. Fans of the stripped sweater, bladed glove wearing boogey man Freddy Krueger delighted in receiving numerous action figures from his many movie appearances. The most movie-accurate Krueger collectibles yet, NECA's first assortment starred Freddy from his film debut with creepy outstretched arms (details like no stripes on the sweater sleeves suprising even to us) and an amazing figure of his more defined look from the sequel, Freddy's Revenge. Series 2 went even deeper into Freddy's many twisted incarnations by taking on his soul-swallowing "Chest of Souls" look and equally demented "Dream Master" appearance with his hapless victims squirming to escape his body.

While the new Nightmare on Elm Street action figures were like a dream come true to many horror collectors, it was NECA's faithful prop replica of Freddy's original 1984 bladed glove that blew us away. Value priced at around $60, this stunning recreation of the iconic weapon was pop culture collecting nirvana; the answer to all those that attempted to make their own crude Freddy glove over the years. With real leather and metal construction and an eye for film-accurate detail (like the resoldered broken index blade!), this amazing prop replica was like stepping into Freddy Krueger's shoes... or rather, slipping on his glove. #1 horror collectible of 2011? It doesn't get any more real than this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1gremlinsBO.jpg 
Views:	2614 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	24315   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1Munsters.jpg 
Views:	2681 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	24316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1NightmareElmStreet.jpg 
Views:	7234 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	24317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1walkdeadBO.jpg 
Views:	4806 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	24318  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: BEST OF 2011 - Best Horror Toys

Diamond gets my top vote this year for both The Munsters and Universal Monsters S2.

The Munsters weren't 100% perfect, but what the sculpts lacked in accuracy (I'm talking especially Lily's head sculpt here) was more than made up for by the OUTSTANDING and well thought-out accessories. They really hit it out of the ballpark in that dept!

And Uni. Monsters S2 had some problems too like sloppy paint getting in the joints. My Frankie's arm fell off due to paint fusing the joint and his head was stubbornly frozen in place due to paint too.

But I liked the sculpts and the lab table was a very cool accessory.

And when I finally tracked her down, The Bride of Frankenstein fig has turned out to be one of my most fave figs of the whole year!! Beautiful fig and definitely the gem in this wave. Too bad she's so hard for some people to get a hold of...

Now I can't wait to complete the Munster family with Eddie & Marilyn, and I'm looking forwards to more Universal Monsters too (I would love a Dr. Praetorius fig to work on my Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.