REVIEW: Think Geek PORTAL SENTRY TURRET LED Flashlight

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Think Geek PORTAL SENTRY TURRET LED Flashlight

It talks too...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For Gears of War and other collectible video game statues and replicas, visit TriForce.

Working as a toy journalist does have its disadvantages. For one, it is extremely hard to surprise me with a new collectible as a gift. I already know everything that's coming out, or at least that's how it usually goes. Recently my wife did the unthinkable by totally shocking me with an awesome little item I had never heard of: Think Geek's new Portal Sentry Turret LED Flashlight. Yeah, I had known of the many plush Portal items and I am all more than aware that NECA will be unleashing a fury of cool Portal props and figures next year. But this 'lil fella is something different. Not only is it a neat figure, but it lights up... and it talks.

Me and my wife are HUGE Portal fans; I think most people that have played the game are. Portal has this extremely addictive, puzzling gameplay paired with some of the most outlandish humor ever put in a game. It's twisted black humor, just like I like it and the Sentry Turrets are a large part of that. I love these guys so much I even have one tattooed on the back of my left ankle. "Are you still there?" So calm and adorable... right before they fill you with lead. Twisted. Love it. Needless to say, I've been dying to get my hands on a Sentry Turret replica for some time, be it an action figure or full blown prop. Sorry, but those Turret Plush are ugly. Until the former come along from NECA, this little Think Geek "flashlight" will do just fine.

First things first, the packaging for this nifty figure is a collectible in its own right, closely mimicking the actual boxes used for the Turrets in the game. The front features the sadistic weapon produced by Aperture Laboratories with a statement that it's "Now Talking!" (though I don't recall one being released that didn't talk) and that it is suitable for ages 14+. This sort of conflicts with the back panel graphic that hilariously shows how you can purchase a Sentry Turret to defend your newborn baby from intruders. Lastly, there's a great graphic showing the Turret "Ikea-style" with numerous warning and safety icons such as its fragile nature and that it can be recycled.

As mentioned, the Sentry Turret itself is rather small, measuring around 4 1/2 inches tall to the tip of its antenna to the bottom of its delicate tripod legs. I wish it was bigger, but it is a faithful replica that looks great posed next to my computer. As they say, beggars can't be choosers. Any good Turret is better than none and this one will do just fine until a bigger and better one comes along. Construction is of a nice hard plastic, though the thin legs do leave me concerned. Display with care. The antenna on top is more forgiving, being soft and flexible.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3kaS2ra_Fo&feature=youtube"]Portal Turret In Action[/ame]

Lastly we get to the bonus features. I would have been pleased with the tiny replica all by itself, but the Think Geek Turret actually lights up with the flip of a switch on the back (thus the "LED flashlight" in the name). Even better is a skinny, flat button located on the right side (left if you're facing it) that dispenses five classic quotes when pressed. Check out the video above to hear (and see) the Portal Sentry Turret in action!

If there were any major cons to this cool little toy, it would be the $24.99 price tag. It's worth more like $10, but hey, it's all about supply and demand... and there just aren't too many great looking Portal Sentry Turrets on the market today (read: none). You can get your very own Portal Sentry Turret LED Flashlight at ThinkGeek.com (it's in-stock) or be lucky and have an amazing wife like mine get one for you. "Target acquired... Goodbye."

Review, Photos and Video by Jeff Saylor

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal LOOSE.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	24112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal LOOSE2.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	24113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal LOOSE3.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	24114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal LOOSE4.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	24115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal LOOSE5.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	24116  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal OHNO.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	24117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal OHNO2.jpg 
Views:	13288 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	24118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	24119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK2.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	24120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK3.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	24121  

Name:	1portal PACK4.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	24122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK5.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	24123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK6.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	24124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal PACK7.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	24125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal TOP.jpg 
Views:	5471 
Size:	240.4 KB 
ID:	24126  

Name:	1portal PACKUSE.jpg 
Views:	6218 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	24128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal TAT.jpg 
Views:	7904 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	24129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1portal VIEWS.jpg 
Views:	4243 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	24130  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.