INTERVIEW: NECA's Lead Fabricator Brad Haskins

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

NECA's Lead Fabricator Brad Haskins

A "cut" above the rest...

NECA's Lead Fabricator Brad Haskins

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For Gears of War and other collectible video game statues and replicas, visit TriForce.

Playing with our action figures and making "Pew! Pew! Pew!" sound effects with their guns wouldn't be possible without people like Brad Haskins. That's because Brad is responsible for all the cool weapons and accessories an action figure comes with. As Lead Fabricator for NECA, Brad Haskins has armed his share of pop culture classics, from Isaac Clarke's iconic Plasma Cutter to Arnold's .45 Longslide with laser sighting. Read on to learn more about Brad's unique trade, his passion for power tools, and his desire to forge a REAL Katana blade...

Brad's Work Table

FIGURES.COM: You are the Lead Fabricator for NECA, a position that differs a bit from the rest of the sculptors on the team. Please explain to our readers the difference and what exactly it is that you do.

BRAD HASKINS: Lead Fabricator is a term used to distinguish my job from Sculpting. Although the methods I use differ, I am still sculpting and building pieces of the figures. The difference is my job is focused on accessories, weapons, and mechanical parts of action figures. As Lead Fabricator, it is my responsibility to train new fabricators and ensure the quality and timeliness of what we build.
    FIGS: What led you to become a fabricator? Why do you prefer fabricating over traditional sculpting?

BRAD: I have always been a fan of guns, swords, cars, and most other machines. When I had an opportunity to work with the machines (lathes, mills, table saws, etc.) at McFarlane Toys about eight years ago, I jumped at the chance.

Isaac Clarke's Plasma Cutter

FIGS: Tell us a little about how you learned to be a fabricator. Are you formally trained or self-taught?

BRAD: I was trained by some of the best fabricators in the action figure business. McFarlane attracted many talented individuals who imparted their knowledge on me. I have some of my own tricks and ways of doing things too.
    FIGS: What are some of your past accomplishments? Were you always a fabricator?

BRAD: I have always loved building the minigun for McFarlanes military line. Most of my favorite designs were never produced, however. I loved a sword I built for a second Zodiac line, however the line was canceled.
    FIGS: How did you go about getting hired by NECA as Lead Fabricator and what's it like working for them?

BRAD: Randy Falk called me in to do a freelance project two summers ago. A few months later, and a few more projects, I was asked to take the position. NECA is a fantastic place to work. I feel completely supported by Randy and the whole team. I am working with some of the most talented people in the industry.

Tools of the Trade: The Mill

FIGS: What are some of the unique tools of your trade and what do they do?

BRAD: I predominately use a Lathe - a machine that spins a part at high speeds and allows you to drive a blade or tool into the part, shaping the piece, a Mill - a machine that you anchor a piece to a bed that can move back to forth and right to left with precision while you lower a Mill bit onto the piece creating designs or cutting out parts, table saw, band saw, and various other common shop tools.
    FIGS: What tool is your favorite and why?

BRAD: Well I usually don't have one, however I recently got an antique table saw. It's about 50 years old and runs like brand new. It's all cast iron and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    FIGS: Fabricating is a very precise and technical process. How do you acquire your reference material?

BRAD: Perseverance. Besides gaming and cat videos, I scour the internet for any size reference, pictures, diagrams, old owners manuals, and anything I can find on what I am building. One place I enjoy checking is the IMFDB (Internet Movie Firearms Data Base).

"And the knee bone connected to the thigh bone..."

FIGS: As Lead Fabricator, you create all the weapons and accessories for the figures. Do you prefer creating one over the other? Firearms over melee weapons?

BRAD: It goes job by job. Most figures have both. If I am a fan of what I am working on, I enjoy it just a little more. Although there is something about sharpening a blade I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of.
    FIGS: What are some of your favorites and why?

BRAD: The Gears of War Butcher Blade. It's big. It's sharp. It's badass. Ash's Chain saw. Same reason as above. Isaac's Plasma Cutter in Dead Space 2. Just a beautiful design. Last but not least, Terminator's .45 Longslide with laser sighting. Arnold knows his guns!
    FIGS: About how long does it take you to fabricate an accessory? What are some of the challenges you face?

BRAD: Another difference between fabrication and sculpting is time. Some jobs may only take a day or two and others may take weeks. Only with experience and a sense of work flow in your studio can you make any prediction on how long something will take. That in itself is a challenge. Also keeping well-stocked is a necessity.

Gears of War 3 1:1 Butcher Cleaver

FIGS: In addition to fabricating small scale weapons and accessories, you have also created 1:1 scale replicas, such as NECA's Gears of War Butcher Cleaver. Do you have a preference in scale? Is it easier or more challenging working life-size?

BRAD: I don't have a preference, however I have predominately worked on smaller scale jobs. I enjoy the challenges each size poses, however the 1:1 scale stuff seems more difficult to me.
    FIGS: Given the opportunity to fabricate anything you wanted, what would you do and why?

BRAD: A full scale Katana. Done in the tradition method of folding the steel.

Make a run for the Border...lands.

FIGS: What amazing projects are you currently working on and what do you have on tap for the near future?

BRAD: We are working on some designs for Valve and Gear Box. The only thing I'll say is that a lot of hardcore fans will be getting the figures and replicas they have wanted for years. What's new coming down the pike looks incredible.
    FIGS: Thank you so much for your time! Any parting words for our readers?

BRAD: I just want to acknowledge the fans, toy collectors, and everyone who buys our toys. You inspire me to make more accurate, well built, and impressive guns, swords, knives, and accessories for NECA because I know you will appreciate it.
    A special "THANK YOU" to Brad Haskins for taking the time out for this interview. Good luck on that Katana project... there can be only one!

Interview and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Photos Courtesy of NECA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad3.jpg 
Views:	2684 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	23981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad4.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	23982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad5 BORDERLANDS.jpg 
Views:	3433 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	23983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad6 MILL.jpg 
Views:	2713 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	23984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad7 TABLE.jpg 
Views:	2699 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	23985  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad8 BUTCHER.jpg 
Views:	4223 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	23986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1brad TOP.jpg 
Views:	3373 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	23987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1IsaacNewGUN.jpg 
Views:	3404 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	23988  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.