Diamond/DST: Lady Death Femme Fatales

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Lady Death Femme Fatales

Creator Brian Pulido and sculptor Steve Kiwus talk about DST's latest creation...

Lady Death Femme Fatales Prototype (Left) and Final Piece (Right)

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say "Figures.com" to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, RedfordFilms.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For Gears of War and other collectible video game statues and replicas, visit TriForce.

Lady Death, Art Asylum and Diamond Select Toys have a long history, with a decade of collaboration in the rearview and a slew of great collectibles to show for it. Now with the arrival of the latest piece, Lady Death in DST's 9-inch Femme Fatales PVC statue line, Art Asylum went to Lady Death's creator, Brian Pulido, and the sculptor of the piece, Steve Kiwus, to talk about what went into the sculpt.

ART ASYLUM: Steve, had you sculpted Lady Death before? Were you familiar with the character?

STEVE KIWUS: I hadn't sculpted her before, but I did know the character from the comic book. I actually bought most of the early issues.
    AA: Brian, what do you think about Steve's first take on your character?

BRIAN PULIDO: I believe Steve caught the emotion of the moment, Lady Death peering at a rose, contemplating something we will never know.
    AA: Brian, what can you tell us about the main piece of art that inspired this statue, with the rose?

PULIDO: The image was rendered by Ivan Reis, based on a design of mine. Lady Death is a brutal warrior, so it's rare to see her so tranquil. The image was done during a storyline where Lady Death was brought to life by Death to teach her humility.
    AA: Steve, the Lady Death sculpt ended up being a hybrid of three pieces of artwork -- can you talk about the hybridization process?

KIWUS: It's not unusual on projects. Sometimes I'll be given a specific piece of character art to sculpt, and in doing research I'll find some more interesting details and I'll talk the client into a collage. Other times the client sends me several pieces of art, saying "Head from column A, legs from column B, arms from column C." In the case of Lady Death, I recall it being the latter.
    AA: It looks like your initial pass at the sculpt was going to be a much more realistic take, while the final pass is slightly exaggerated, and shows a lot more personality. Do you find a sculpt is more successful when you push certain details of the sculpt to bring out the aspects you want to emphasize?

KIWUS: I call it "comic-book-real." I've only done a couple of sculptures in my decades of doing this that ended up being photo-realistic. It's hard to do at the scale I work. And it's even harder to reproduce in production, with the limitations of tooling and plastics. To compensate I try to find a couple details that the character would have if she was a real person and add them to the figure. On the other hand, when it comes to posing, I like to give bends to limbs that might be a bit painful in real life. This is what brings the comic book dynamism to the figure.
    AA: Brian, you have a long relationship with DST and Art Asylum -- the Dark Alliance line of figures came out ten years ago. What keeps you coming back?

PULIDO: DST is a very structured and organized company. It's actually quite easy to work with Chuck Terceira and Jason Whitney -- we agree on a pose/image and it's off to the races!

AA: Aside from this piece, what is your favorite Lady Death toy/statue you've done with them?

PULIDO: I'm quite fond of several items, but if I had to choose one, I love the Evil Ernie bust, sculpted by Rudy Garcia. It is simply perfection!
    AA: Steve, you've sculpted a lot of beautiful comic book women in your long career -- is there one you've always wanted to sculpt but never had the opportunity?

KIWUS: The list is too long to write. Right now I'm working on a sculpt of Salma Hayek doing her snake dance in "From Dusk Til Dawn" just for fun -- which means I'll never finish it. But I'd like to see someone like Vampirella done as a Femme Fatale.
    AA: Brian, are there other characters from Lady Death's world you'd like to see in the Femme Fatales series?

PULIDO: The terrific thing about Lady Death is that there are so many chapters of her "un-Life" to explore. While characters like Wargoth, Satasha or Death Queen would be fun to see in 3D, I believe we still have many more Lady Death statues that fans would love to see. Next up, I'd like to see a Lady Death warrior pose, with a Halloween theme!

The Lady Death Femme Fatales statue is on sale now at comic and specialty shops everywhere.

Source: DST

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1ladydeathUSE.jpg 
Views:	14599 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	23872  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Lady Death Femme Fatales

Argghh! I've been waiting so long for Diamond to continue their excellent Dark Alliance line but now they go and give me more Lady Death in the wrong scale.

Does look verrrry beau~ti~ful though! *gives thumbs up*

How about some 7" figs too, Diamond? Lady Death, Purgatori (who has the rights to her now I wonder?) and all the gals from Tarot. I would love that!

Re: Lady Death Femme Fatales

Death never looked so good! Must put on my future get list!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.