REVIEW: SDCC Exclusive MOTUC Queen Marlena and Cringer

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC Exclusive MOTUC Queen Marlena and Cringer

All hail the queen and her orange-striped tiger cub...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say figures.com to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To get your figures graded, go to ActionFigureAuthority.com.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

For t-shirts, take a look at 80sTees.com.

As we approach the end of the second year of the Masters of the Universe Classics toy line, the Eternian Royal Family comes full circle with the 2011 Comic-Con exclusive Queen Marlena and Cringer 2-pack. While this new SDCC exclusive may look very familiar too many He-fans, the set is technically three figures in one as Marlena can be converted into her pre-Eternian alter-ego Captain Glenn.

Just like last year’s Comic-Con exclusive Orko/Adam set (read our review HERE), Marlena comes packaged in the same oversized blister card featuring the standard MOTUC design. Unlike the Orko/Adam set from last year, both Marlena and Cringer are fully visible in the package this time around and the Captain Glenn accessories are cleverly concealed by the lower insert as they are stored at the bottom of the plastic clamshell.

The layout on the back of the card is just like that of the standard MOTUC figures and features two different bios this time depending on which version of the figure you purchase.

The sculpting on both of Marlena’s looks and Cringer are top notch thanks to the immensely-talented Four Horsemen. The details are rendered amazingly well and the quality control has been majorly bumped up for this set as there are absolutely no loose joints anywhere on Marlena’s body allowing her to hold her poses very well. While there are some very minor paint flaws here and there, it is nothing drastic that would ruin the figure but the eyes on this figure are rather plain and lack color details in comparison to other female MOTUC figures in the line.

What makes this female MOTUC figure very unique is her switch-out dress and parts which allow collectors to display Marlena in her royal ensemble or in her astronaut suit when she crash landed on Eternia. The interlocking clasps at the back of both outfits is ingenious and very easy to use making her outfit swaps from Queen Marlena to Captain Glenn a cinch.

While Marlena’s dress limits her leg movement significantly, Captain Glen can placed in endless different poses thanks to her all new female buck which the Four Horsemen have developed. This new buck will also be featured in several upcoming female figures such as Bubble Power She-Ra and the Sorceress.

The all new 2.0 female buck features:
    -Ball-Socket Neck
    -Ball-Socket Shoulders
    -Swivel Biceps
    -Hinged Elbows
    -Swivel Waist
    -Swivel Wrists
    -Ball-Hinged Inner Thighs
    -Hinged Knees
    -Hinged Ankles
    -Swivel Calves
    While Marlena features a plethora of articulation, the same cannot be said about Cringer which is more along the lines of a static figure which features only a swivel-jointed head and tail.

Mattel never tends to disappoint with their Comic-Con MOTUC exclusives and this year’s set is an absolute must-have for Masters of the Universe fans. This is the first time Mattel has released a Queen Marlena and Cringer action figures and by purchasing this exclusive set, you will be able to complete your very own Eternia royal family. While Queen Marlena and Cringer were exclusively sold to attendees at San Diego Comic-Con, an alternate Captain Glenn and Cringer pack was also sold through matt collector.com for $25 but is now completely sold out.

Review and Photos by Jorge Pelaez

Review Sample Courtesy of Mattel

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: SDCC Exclusive MOTUC Queen Marlena and Cringer

Ok, so to confirm here, this is just an alternate packaging of the Capt. Glenn fig that I still haven't received from Matty yet, right? I'll be able to turn Capt. Glenn into Marlena too right?

Re: SDCC Exclusive MOTUC Queen Marlena and Cringer

Yeah, I'm pretty dang sure they just flipped around who is displayed in the blister - your version showing her already as Capt. Glenn. Similar what they did with the Orko/ Prince Adam pack. Personally I think she looks way cooler as Capt. Glenn

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up Re: SDCC Exclusive MOTUC Queen Marlena and Cringer

Yeah I loved both looks so much I bought 2 so I could display one each way.

My MOTUCs gotta have their Queen, but Capt. Glenn looks like she'll fit right in with my Mutant Earth and various alien stuff too. A classic space babe.

Very cool Matty!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.