REVIEW: SDCC Exclusive Blazing Sword VOLTRON

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC Exclusive Blazing Sword VOLTRON

Once you get him out of the box, the Robeasts don't stand a chance...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say figures.com to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To get your figures graded, go to ActionFigureAuthority.com.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

For t-shirts, take a look at 80sTees.com.

One thing you can always count on with a Mattel Comic-Con Exclusive is receiving an AMAZING package. SDCC 2011 was no exception, with the company offering a wide range of stylishly presented collectibles - from Swamp Thing's biodegradable box (read our review HERE) to the cereal-tempting Franken Berry car (review HERE). Blazing Sword Voltron was another excellent offering, the exclusive attractively priced at $30 and having the honor of being the first release in the new Voltron toy collection. However, being the first Voltron toy release is also the big downside of this exclusive: You can't open it up to check out the actual figure inside without utterly destroying the packaging.

Most of you are probably like "So, what's your point? It's an exclusive meant to look great in packaging." Very true, but being the first figure in a new series, you'd think Mattel would want fans to see how impressive it was... you know, out of the box. Lucky for Voltron fans, I've done the dirty deed of opening this exclusive for you. Why? Because I'm an opener. Secondly, I was bound and determined to see how Mattel's new Voltron stacked up in the small, but wonderful world of Voltron toys.

Ah, but first that amazing packaging! Encased in a large open window box, the 8-inch tall Voltron stands proud against a backdrop of the Lion Force's fortress on planet Arus. There's even a window pane on top that allows light to shine down on the collectible inside, a nice touch. Dynamic graphics of Voltron defending the universe adorn each side, while the back prominently features the toy in numerous action poses. The box even mocks collectors with the prompt to "Recreate Voltron's Battle Moves!" However, the real attraction to the Blazing Sword Voltron exclusive is the sound feature. Press the big red button on the bottom of the box and the ENTIRE intro to the classic cartoon is played. Check out the video above to bring back those warm fuzzy memories.

For mint-in-box collectors, your review stops here. The SDCC 2011 exclusive Blazing Sword Voltron - in pack - is an incredible display piece and worth every bit the $30 for the gorgeous packaging - and sound chip - alone. For the rest of you interested in how the actual action figure is, read on...

To remove Voltron from his carboard tomb, be prepared to get down and dirty. There's taped down flaps, a horde of twisty ties and an entire lower section that's glued shut more securely than Fort Knox. There's no nice way of freeing Voltron - this exclusive was meant to be displayed one way, and one way only... or so Mattel thought.

Success! After busting out my own blazing sword and getting medieval on the box, my Voltron figure is FREE. The first thing that grabbed me was Voltron's vibrant cartoon color scheme. It's all very toylike, and for those expecting realism, that will spell out immediate disappointment. For me, it's a breath of fresh air to see a Voltron figure that looks like he stepped out of the 'toon. It's something different; something that hasn't been done yet with a Voltron collectible (that I can recollect).

Voltron's cartoony appearance becomes even more appealing when you actually get around to playing with him. Mattel wasn't fooling when they said this was one of the most articulated Voltron figures made. Where Voltron toys in the past have always been stiff and rigid in posture, Blazing Sword Voltron can MOVE. Lets see if I can break down the points for you:

* Ball-Jointed Head
    * Ball-Jointed/ Swivel Shoulders
    * Hinged/Swivel Elbows
    * Swivel Hands
    * Spring-Opening Lion Mouth Hands
    * Ball-Jointed Upper Torso
    * Swivel Waist
    * Flip Down Back Wings
    * Ball-Jointed Thighs
    * Swivel Upper Thighs
    * Hinged Knees
    * Hinged Ankles
    * Swivel Lion Head Feet

Pretty amazing stuff! All the leg articulation allows Voltron to strike some deep combat stances with great stability, while the arm articulation lets you display Voltron in a number of sword-swinging poses. The spring-opening hands hold his weapons firmly, while the shoulder and elbow joints allow you to have Voltron hold his sword(s) out wide ready to slice or even gripped two-handed! Add on the excellent mobility of his head and the surprise upper torso cut, and you have yourself a Voltron meant to be played with. Kids are going to have a blast with these figures when they hit retail and collectors are going to appreciate the cool display poses you can get.

Speaking of swords, Blazing Sword Voltron comes with two. Included is his standard blade and, as the name of the exclusive implies, his weapon in "blazing sword" mode. The latter is the first I recall being made for a Voltron toy and its fiery sculpt looks killer. The Robeasts don't stand a chance!

In my humble opinion, Toynami's Masterpiece Voltron is the coolest Voltron collectible ever made. It has die-cast content, the ability to transform into all five Lions and comes in a book-like package that's to die for. But that Voltron is clearly aimed at serious, high-end collectors.

For the money, Mattel's Blazing Sword Voltron is an excellent figure to be played with. It's animated color scheme adds some nice variety to my collection and its articulation is out of this world. In a word, this Voltron is a FUN TOY. It's just such a shame that Mattel didn't let that fun factor fully shine with an exclusive that could easily be removed from its packaging. As it is, the choice is clearly yours: Keep mint-in-pack and wait for Voltron's full retail release to play with the figure OR rip that bad boy open. I made my decision and I don't regret one minute of it.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

MIB Packaged Photos and Video by Michael Klein

Review Sample Courtesy of Mattel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronALL2.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	21372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronALL4.jpg 
Views:	4272 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	21373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronBLAZINGSWORD.jpg 
Views:	7812 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	21374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronCLOSE.jpg 
Views:	2651 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	21375   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronCLOSE3.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	21376  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronEND.jpg 
Views:	25587 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	21377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	21378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL2.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	21379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL3.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	21380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL4.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	21381  

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	21382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL6.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	21383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL7.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	21384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL8.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	21385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL9.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	21386  

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL10.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	21387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronFULL11.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	21388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronGEAR.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	21389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronPACK.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	21390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronPACK2.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	21391  

Name:	1mattelvoltronPACK5.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	21392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronPACKOPEN.jpg 
Views:	2598 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	21393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronPACKUSE1.jpg 
Views:	3718 
Size:	362.2 KB 
ID:	21394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronSWORD.jpg 
Views:	3190 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	21395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronSWORD6.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	21396  

Name:	1mattelvoltronSWORD8.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	21397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronTOP.jpg 
Views:	3116 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	21398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1mattelvoltronVIEWSUSE.jpg 
Views:	3261 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	21399  
    Last edited by JeffSaylor; 10-24-2015 at 07:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.