REVIEW: SDCC Exclusive D-Arts MEGAMAN X Metallic Version

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC Exclusive D-Arts MEGAMAN X Metallic Version

Bandai/Bluefin polish up popular Capcom hero...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with Collectibles Insurance. Say figures.com to get 5% off your first term premiums.

To get your figures graded, go to ActionFigureAuthority.com.

To buy action figures, take a look at BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, MonkeyDepot.com, and Urban-Collector.com.

For statues and sculptures, go to CSMooreStudio.com.

For t-shirts, take a look at 80sTees.com.

One of the more popular San Diego Comic-Con exclusives this year was the D-Arts MEGAMAN X Metallic Version. Offered at the Bandai/Bluefin booth, the fan favorite Capcom video game hero featured new super shiny armor instead of the matte blue duds on the orginal figure. Priced at $45, he was only about $5 more than the standard version, making it a clear choice (at least to me) over which version to grab.

Everything about this exclusive Megaman is shiny, shiny and more shiny! That includes the packaging, a highly reflective closed window box. Through the front pane our hero is clearly visible alongside his numerous accessories, all enhanced by a great "X" to hammer home this version of Megaman. In addition, this exclusive goes beyond a simple Comic-Con sticker to make it special, including actual printed text that reads "USA Exclusive" and "Megaman X Metallic Version". This is how all show exclusives should be offered - looking both amazing in pack and loose on display.

Despite the great packaging presentation, I'm all about freeing my toys. Lucky for me, the box is collector friendly. Just slit a small piece of tape on the side and open the flap to slide out Megaman stowed on the small plastic tray inside. Standing about 5-inches tall, the D-Arts Megaman X isn't the largest action figure of the Capcom hero ever made, but nor is he the smallest (I'm looking at you Toybiz Marvel vs. Capcom). The wealth of accessories Bandai packs with this toy, however, more than makes up for that small shortcoming (pun intended).

Included with the Megaman X Metallic Version is an alternative right arm for attaching normal hands, two sets of swappable hands - fisted and splayed open, X-Buster blast and rotating triple-shot effect parts and a piece to attach these to, and three interchangable portraits: a calm, closed mouth expression, a teeth-gnashing sneer and my favorite, Megaman screaming out in rage. Hey, it's a taxing job fighting the robotic forces of Dr. Wily!

Also included is an instruction pamphlet, though figuring out what to do is pretty self-explanatory. For the alternate faces, simply pry Megaman's helmeted head apart at the sides (ouch!). Once in half, remove the closed mouth face that the toy comes with, and insert your expression of choice. Close her up and presto! Megaman's alternative arm works the same way: Just pop off the right arm and pop on the new one.

Blast effects require you to pry off the closed cap on Megaman's right blaster arm (it's painted red so it looks good when not firing projectiles) and insert the new open-ended cap. The new cap acts as a peg and hole system for the blast effects, both which look killer on the figure. I found the X-Buster blast made Megaman a tad top heavy, but if you pose him just right, it'll display great. The triple-shot is by far my favorite. One piece is a "firing" effect that slides over Megaman's arm, while the other portion consists of three rockets that can actually swivel around at the mid-section for a more layered launching pattern. The translucent plastic used on both effects contrasts nicely with Megaman's uber chromed-out armor.

Making Megaman look even more stunning on display is his extremely high articulation count. If you're familiar with the D-Arts series, or most any Bandai Japan action figure line for that matter, then you'll know that the company does not skimp on poseability. Megaman comes loaded with useful joints allowing him to move in about any possible way you can think of. Thanks to his large flat feet, I even got him to stand on one leg with no problems at all. One-legged triple-shot attack? No problemo.

In closing, Megaman fans are going to eat this exclusive up... if you can find it. Select online retails and the secondary market are unfortunately your only options in obtaining this exclusive now and I'd expect you'll pay more than the $45 show rate. However, if you can live without the super shiny metallic armor (or you simply don't like it), then the standard D-Arts Megaman X in matte blue armor is readily available. In fact, he's in-stock now at BigBadToyStore.com priced at $40. For all its worth though, my money is on shiny.

Review and Photos by Jeff Salyor

Review Sample Courtesy of Bluefin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaENDUSE.jpg 
Views:	3281 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	21200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFACEUSE.jpg 
Views:	7272 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	21201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaGEARUSE.jpg 
Views:	6617 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	21202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaMOVEUSE.jpg 
Views:	3764 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	21203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaPACKUSE.jpg 
Views:	12103 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	21204  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOTUSE.jpg 
Views:	4163 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	21205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaTOPUSE.jpg 
Views:	8361 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	21206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N1megaVIEWSUSE.jpg 
Views:	10595 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	21207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaEND.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	21208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFACE.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	21209  

Name:	1megaFULL2.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	21210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFULL3.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	21211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFULL4.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	21212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFULL5.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	21213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaFULL8.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	21214  

Name:	1megaKICK2.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	21215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaMOVE.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	21216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaPACK2.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	21217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaPACK5.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	21218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	21219  

Name:	1megaSHOOT2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	21220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT3.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	21221   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT4.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	21222   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	21223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT6.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	21224  

Name:	1megaSHOOT7.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	21225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT8.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	21226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT9.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	21227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT10.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	21228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1megaSHOOT11.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	21229  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.