DC Collectibles: SDCC11: DC Direct Panel

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

SDCC11: DC Direct Panel

Classic lines joined by new ones from the relaunch...

San Diego Comic-Con coverage brought to you by Tonner, Collectibles Insurance, and Big Bad Toy Store.

DC Comics had a huge presence at this year's Comic-Con, partly to promote and discuss the comics relaunch coming next month. Of course, their DC Direct branch was also there to show off all of the cool new toys and statues coming soon! We checked out their panel to get the full scoop.

Coinciding with the current major comic book event is the Flashpoint figure line, based on the original character drawings by Andy Kubert. Series 1 is in stores now, and consists of the Flash, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg. Joining them was the SDCC exclusive Zoom figure (see HERE), if you were lucky enough to get your hands on one. DC is also offering Flashpoint-themed shirts through Graphitti Designs. The panel was the world premiere of prototypes and images of a new line of Justice League figures based on the relaunch designs, and they looked great! Designed by Jim Lee himself, the initial waves will include Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman. Look for the first figures to hit shelves in August of next year.

Batman continues to dominate the video game scene, and DC Direct's Arkham Asylum figures series 1 are currently sold out! So don't hesitate if you happen to find them. Series 2 (featuring armored Batman, Bane, and Poison Ivy) is currently available. Figures will be made for the sequel as well, Batman Arkham City, and we got to see the first one of Harley Quinn. The DC Universe Online game is spawning figures as well, also designed by Jim Lee. Series 1 (Batman, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, Catwoman) debuts in March, while a Series 2 including Green Lantern and Flash will arrive in the Spring.

On the statue front, DC Direct is plumbing many of DC's properties. From the upcoming Green Lantern animated series will be maquettes: Hal Jordan in March and Atrocitus in May. Batman Black and White is DC Direct's longest running statue series and shows no signs of letting up. Featuring the Dark Knight in monochrome by different artists, upcoming releases include Dustin Nguyen's version in August, Cliff Chiang in October, Pat Gleason in December, MAD's Sergio Aragones in January, and a variant re-release of Mike Mignola (with a new base) in February. Premiered for the first time were images of Sam Kieth's Batman for May and Sean "Cheeks" Galloway's coming soon!

The sexy ladies of DC Comics appear in the Cover Girls line, designed by Adam Hughes. Out now are Hawkgirl and Armored Wonder Woman, with Starfire coming in November, Raven in January, and Death in April. The Women of the DC Universe line, designed by Amanda Conner, is also continuing with Supergirl in September and Zatanna in November, while the men get the Heroes of the DC Universe line (designed by Gary Frank) with Swamp Thing in January and Batman in April. The Classic Confrontations line adds a really-cool looking comic version of Green Lantern vs. Parallax in March. Ame-Comi continues as well, with White Canary and Black Flash in February, white and red Ravens in April, Wonder Woman as Star Sapphire in June, and Wonder Woman v3 and Big Barda in August. A quick shot previewed an upcoming Hawkgirl as well!

On the lighter side, DC Direct is bringing back the MAD Just Us Leage of Stupid Heroes featuring Alfred E. Neumann as your favorite heroes. Each new series offers repaints of two classic figures plus one new one. Series 1 in May re-offers Batman and Robin, with an all-new Joker. Summer 2012 brings back Superman and Flash with a new Wonder Woman and the Fall will see Green Arrow and Green Lantern with a new Aquaman. MAD is also the inspiration for a line of Spy Vs. Spy vinyl figures (also known as "Spy-nyls"). Both white and black versions are slate for June, and DC Direct is considering offering black versions that you can customize.

Check out slides from the panel in our exclusive Comic-Con gallery HERE!

Check out some of DC Direct's new collectibles on display at their booth HERE!

- Scott Rubin

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: SDCC11: DC Direct Panel

So, what is going on with DC Unlimited?

I noticed there was no World of Warcraft nor any Starcraft on display at SDCC. Also no future announcements of any kind. Is it safe to say that the World of Warcraft line is dead? (beyond possibly series 8 and Premium series 4, which were announced at SDCC 2010)

Have you heard anything at all about DC Unlimited?
    Last edited by big-e; 07-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.

What about the Arkham Asylum Killer Croc? Will he be part of the Arkham City wave?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by asura View Post
    What about the Arkham Asylum Killer Croc? Will he be part of the Arkham City wave?
    Yes, Killer Croc is going to be part of Arkham City series 1 as a deluxe figure. I guess that means he will be a box set. He is pretty damn big after all.

It is currently slated to come out in June 2012.

Thanks big-e That is correct.

As for DC Unlimited, we could not find a rep to fully answer that question, but I'd say without solicitations for the past 3 months or so, that banner is pretty much dead. Will look into it more, because aside from WoW, they had Starcraft which I'm still eager to get a Terran Marine from. All the PS3 video game licenses (Mass Effect, etc) are, however, gone.

What? If the WoW line is truly dead then that will be very sad news indeed.

I know so many people -- myself included -- who were loving this line.

And this would be the second time that I got myself all revved up looking forward to a Starcraft line only to have it disappear before the great looking prototypes could be made into figs.

I was so bummed a few years ago when the previous (Toycom I think?) Starcraft line never made it to Series 2 that had the awesome Morrigan prototype sculpted by SOTA. (Not to mention the even more awesome protos they had ready for a Diablo II line too!)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.