REVIEW: Sideshow Exclusive Star Wars Anakin Vs. Asajj Diorama

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Sideshow Exclusive Star Wars Anakin Vs. Asajj Diorama

An epic struggle of Light and Dark captured in Polystone...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

To get your figures graded, go to ActionFigureAuthority.com.

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, MonkeyDepot.com, Urban-Collector.com, and Sekaido.com.

For a great selection of pop culture apparel, check out 80sTees.com.

For an amazing selection of original sculptures, statues, prints and DVDs be sure to check out ShiflettBrothers.com.

Continuing to be a character as mysterious and interesting as she is popular, the Sith apprentice Asajj Ventress made her debut in the original animated cartoon series Star Wars: The Clone Wars back in 2003 on Cartoon Network. The series of three-minute shorts co-created by Genndy Tartakovsky paved the way for much of the expanded universe of Clone Wars stories and became a jumping off point for the 2008 series. While the Anakin Vs. Asajj Diorama is not directly taken from the 2003 series, it has to be greatly inspired by the epic duel between the two warriors depicted in the show, taking place on the planet of Yavin 4 in ruins that featured a long set of stairs similar to those on this piece. It wouldn’t be the first Sideshow product inspired by the original animated show as they also released a 1/6-scale figure of Obi-Wan Kenobi in his Clone Trooper General armor from the series.

The diorama’s packaging features the same color scheme and details of all the various Sideshow Star Wars lines. The overall box features an all around black color with the front corners edged with a sloping grey design. Each side of the box features a full-color photo of the statue, with the back featuring short bios on the characters. On the inside everything has been packaged and protected wonderfully. Every part is wrapped in tissue paper with the dio in three main pieces, along with Asajj’s two heads and the character’s lightsabers wrapped individually as well, and everything then encased in a Styrofoam shell.

Everything about this piece is dynamic and interesting, despite being fairly simple in construction. The set piece is a large broken staircase with Asajj leaping down to meet Anakin in battle. The staircase is so visually interesting, with it's carved block construction and all of the cracks and wear, that it makes a striking impression that is sure to stand out in your collection.

Asajj is the clear focal point of the piece as she is facing the observer from almost every angle and looks graceful and beautiful in her pose that gives her the look that she is almost gliding down the stairs. This is helped by her long, flowing skirt that is expertly sculpted to show movement and wrinkling as it billows out behind her. The exclusive version of the set comes with two different head sculpts for Asajj, a closed mouth head and angry, open-mouthed head. I prefer the former as it says “Asajj” much more to me, being more focused and menacing. The open-mouthed sculpt is kind of ugly, but I think it might have to do more with the way the mouth is painted than the actual sculpt. One particular issue I have with Asajj, and I don’t know if its widespread, but I can’t get either her body or head to line up in such a way that she is actually looking at Anakin instead of off to the side.

Anakin features a fantastic sculpt that really looks like Hayden Christensen, but suffers from that way he fits in the diorama, as it’s hard to get a good view of his face from the way he is posed. Anakin once again foolishly takes on someone who has the high ground on him (I wonder if he’ll ever learn his lesson?). Much like Asajj, Anakin has a great look to his costume, with the tattered garment flowing back behind him. I think a focus of the Anakin sculpt is the awesome looking robotic arm that has been revealed through his duel with Asajj.

As far as paint application goes, I think the award once again goes to the staircase. Sideshow did such a great job, utilizing a variety of coloring and texture to give the stairs their worn, stony look. Both characters feature shading on their outfits to show depth and folding in the fabric and I particularly like the use of a brushed metal on Anakin’s armor pieces. If I had to choose an area where paint needed improvement, its on Asajj’s head sculpt. On both heads, her tattoos/markings are painted with a watery, semi-transparent purple that looks very sloppy and unfinished. And as I said earlier, her open-mouthed head sculpt looks entirely too red, like she ate a tube of red lipstick.

Despite my small grievances, this is a pretty stellar piece both in terms of design and quality, but also in the presence it brings to your collection. This is the first and only Clone Wars-themed diorama Sideshow has put out and very few remain in stock at this point. You can order your own Sideshow Exclusive Anakin Vs Asajj Diorama from Sideshow Collectibles HERE!

Review Sample Courtesy of Sideshow Collectibles

Review & Photos by Michael Klein

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03548.jpg 
Views:	3151 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	20141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03549.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	283.3 KB 
ID:	20142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03550.jpg 
Views:	3687 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	20143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03551.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	20144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03552.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	20145  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03553.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	20146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03554.jpg 
Views:	4114 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	20147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03555.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	299.2 KB 
ID:	20148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03556.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	278.2 KB 
ID:	20149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03557.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	20150  

Name:	DSC03558.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	20151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03559.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	20152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03560.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	20153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03561.jpg 
Views:	2474 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	20154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03563.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	20155  

Name:	DSC03567.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	20156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03568.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	20157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03569.jpg 
Views:	7066 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	20158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03570.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	20159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03571.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	20160  

Name:	DSC03572.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	20161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03573.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	377.3 KB 
ID:	20162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03574.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	246.0 KB 
ID:	20163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03575.jpg 
Views:	2636 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	20164   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03576.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	20165  

Name:	DSC03577.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	291.4 KB 
ID:	20166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03584.jpg 
Views:	8937 
Size:	338.4 KB 
ID:	20167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03585.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	20168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03586.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	20169  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.