CREATIVE CUSTOMS: Vernon Gibbs' MOVIE GREEN LANTERN

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Vernon Gibbs' MOVIE GREEN LANTERN

Cool customs of Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan...

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

For a great selection of superhero action figures and collectibles, check out fine sponsors BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, ToyDorks.com, SmallJoes.com, and Sekaido.com.

For an amazing selection of original sculptures, statues, prints and DVDs be sure to check out ShiflettBrothers.com.

Vernon Gibbs II joins us today to share his recently finished custom Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan action figures influenced by the upcoming motion picture, Green Lantern. Read on to learn more about these Creative Customs and the talented artist behind them...

Please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about your hobby.

My name is Vernon, but on toy boards I sometimes go by "da man" and on ebay as "vernondo". I am originally from New Jersey but live in New York City now. I have always customized toys as a kid and then when I lost my job at the end on 2008, I really went into it full-blast to try and make some extra money while I was looking for work. I do not do it as much now that I have a full time job, but I always have a few projects I am working on.

What prompted you to make this custom? What were your influences?

I never make DC customs because (Mattel's) DCUC and DC Direct covers so many of the characters and costume variations. I made this particular figure because I knew we were not getting a DC Universe Classics version of Ryan Reynolds done in the Four Horsemen style, similar to what happened with the recent Batman Movie Masters toys. I saw the pics of the movie figures and started making one that would fit in with any collector's 6 inch toys.

What did you do/use to achieve this figure's look (figure recipe)?

The base body was a regular Green Lantern figure. The head was from a TNA figure that just happens to look a lot like Ryan Reynolds (in my opinion) with some new hair sculpted on. I used the same head for a Movie Deadpool that I did based on Reynolds in X-Men Origins. The costume was sculpted with Apoxie sculpt, which I use on all my toys. The Lantern comes from the actual movie toy. The gun and baseball bat constructs are random toys painted lime green. "Regular Clothes Hal" is a repainted Stargate figure.

Do you plan on anymore Green Lantern customs? Which characters?

I have a few that I have made for my own collection, but nothing movie-based. Maybe after I see the film I will get some inspiration!
    Are you excited about the upcoming Green Lantern movie?

I was not excited after the first trailer came out (with the "I know, right?" ending), but the WonderCon footage has me hyped up to see this opening weekend in 3D!

Where can people see more of your work? Do you accept commissions?

I do accept commissions and you can see more of my work over at www.toysbyvernondo.com.

>> Have some cool Creative Customs you would like to share? Email me at Editor@Figures.com! <<

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo1.jpg 
Views:	1207 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	18437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo2.jpg 
Views:	2980 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	18438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo3.jpg 
Views:	2085 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	18439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo4.jpg 
Views:	1821 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	18440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal 003.JPG 
Views:	2601 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	18441  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal 004.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	18442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal 006.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	18443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal 007.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	18444   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal 020.JPG 
Views:	1320 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	18445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2730.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	18446  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2731.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	18447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2732.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	18448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2733.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	18449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2734.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	18450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Lantern Movie_2735.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	18451  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.