REVIEW: NECA Player Select - Bulletstorm's GRAYSON HUNT

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

NECA Player Select - Bulletstorm's GRAYSON HUNT

Figure fun with video game's outlandish space hero...

For a great selection of video game action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, ToyDorks.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

Come tomorrow - February 22nd - the much talked about first-person shooter BULLETSTORM explodes onto gaming consoles everywhere. The over-the-top sci-fi title, developed by People Can Fly and EPIC Games, isn't so much about survival, but rather creating mayhem and destruction; encouraging players to be imaginative when dispatching the enemy for rewarding "Skill Shots".

To celebrate this creative tour-de-force, NECA has released a 7-inch scale action figure of Bulletstorm's potty-mouthed protagonist: Grayson Hunt. Packing his trusty "Peacemaker" carbine and ensnaring energy "Leash," Grayson Hunt is available now at select specialty stores and Toys"R"Us priced at a SRP of $17.99.

First things first: you don't have to be a fan of the game to appreciate Grayson Hunt's awesome futuristic design. Heck, I was sold on this character when NECA gave us a first look back in October (see our story HERE).

With EPIC involved in Bulletstorm's creation, there's an undeniable Gears of War feel to Grayson's weapon and attire; the Peacemaker slightly resembling a Locust Hammerburst, while Hunt's clothing features elements of early COG soldier concept art (see HERE and note the hip ammo). That said, Grayson Hunt fits in extremely well with my extensive Gears of War action figure collection, yet is a remarkable video game action figure all on his own. The unique details on this figure are quite cool, such as the minute skull emblem on his back and the intricate maze of zippers and buckles that highlight his rugged leather outfit.

Accessory-wise, Grayson is ready to get his Skill Points on with his powerful Peacemaker carbine and energy Leash. The former is simply an amazing weapon design. Despite its Hammerburst influence (or vice versa), Bulletstorm has made it all their own with never-ending ammo drum and extended barrel. The Leash, an essential tool used in the game to whip opponents off their feet and to their deaths, is actually part of Grayson's sculpt; the gauntlet-like device attached to his right hand. It's a shame that an attachable energy "whip" wasn't included, similar to the cool flames NECA packed with their God of War Kratos, but its an omission I can live without. Another nifty extra is a pair of wearable goggles. Featuring a soft pliable plastic strap, the goggles can carefully be postioned over Grayson's eyes for an incredible alternative look or draped casually around his neck for when not in use. One can also pop off Grayson Hunt's head to attach the goggles... whichever method works best for you. I think wearable goggles are a first for NECA and the result is spectacular.

In the articulation department Grayson Hunt shines. Just like in the game, the figure is extremely agile, able to achieve many sweet Bulletstorm poses, such as kicking a villain where it hurts or crouching down for a pot shot in the groin. Points include a ball-jointed head, shoulders, wrists and feet, swivel/hinged elbows and knees, cut waist, and highly versatile DCU-like hip movement that allows for wide splits and dynamic leg stances. Top-notch stuff equalling an action figure that's not only cool to look at, but a joy to play around with too.

It's not everyday you get to play the role of a drunken space pirate whose job is to eliminate evil aliens by whatever means necessary. After being teased by the fantastic demo last month, I can't wait to get down and dirty with the full version of Bulletstorm tomorrow. While I indulge in hours of hilarious carnage, my Grayson Hunt action figure will be there cheering me on.

Review and Photos by Jeff Saylor

Packaging Photo Courtesy of NECA
    Review Sample Courtesy of NECA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1graysonPACK.jpg 
Views:	4715 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	16588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1huntEND.jpg 
Views:	8403 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	16589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1huntGUNS.jpg 
Views:	6429 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	16590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1huntMOVE.jpg 
Views:	5914 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	16591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1huntTOP.jpg 
Views:	8022 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	16592  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1huntVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	6273 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	16593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1hutnCOMPARE.jpg 
Views:	11683 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	16594  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.