REVIEW: Young Epoch's STINKY PETE THE PROSPECTOR

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Young Epoch's STINKY PETE THE PROSPECTOR

Life-size Toy Story doll all the way from Japan...

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, ToyDorks.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

Stinky Pete the Prospector from Toy Story 2 didn’t have a particularly enjoyable life. He was stuck on a dime store shelf, never to be bought or played with and when he finally had a chance to shine at a toy museum in Japan, that didn’t pan out for him either. Ironically for us toy collectors, if you want a life size replica of Stinky Pete in the states, you’re going to have to go to Japan to get it!

A toy company by the name of Young Epoch has produced their very own line of Woody's Roundup in full scale. These life size replicas aren’t as “fun” or “play friendly” as the wonderful Toy Story Collection line from Thinkway, but if you’re dying to plug in that gaping hole in the collection, this is a suitable solution.

Stinky Pete is packaged in a gorgeous recreation box, almost identical to that seen in the film. The main differences is that it doesn’t say he has “4 Sayings” since this is no pull-string doll but just a plain doll. My box indicates that this is a “3rd Version” which suggests that others have been made. One possibly in black and white and the other in a more faded antique color tone. I really like the quote on the box that reads: “PLAY AND ENJOY THIS TOY!” The box also suggests that they’ve made toys of Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye. Also worth noting is the placement of his axe is on the wrong side compared to the film.

The sculpt of Prospector isn’t exactly on-model as I recall his beard being more full than this particular toy, but it’s not a bad likeness at all. He has a fabric outfit which is very nicely constructed and a big removable hat. The hat is much too flimsy for my tastes, making it difficult to fold upwards against gravity. The plastic pick axe that’s included cannot be held in any of his hands, nor is he poseable. He’s a doll.

The included display stand is very nice. A solid wood base that holds the Prospector in place does so very nicely without having to snap into his neck. The base looks better on the shelf too since it’s not plastic.

Oh wait... he does have a movable mouth! It’s not much and there’s no trigger for it so it really isn’t something to run home about.

So there you have it! A Stinky Pete doll that you can keep in or out of the packaging. You’ll have to pick it up from Japan or make friends with the folks at Pixar Animation Studios. They just might have some in their studio store for $47 American.

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_01.jpg 
Views:	4086 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	15864   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_02.jpg 
Views:	1052 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	15865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_03.jpg 
Views:	4263 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	15866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_04.jpg 
Views:	4027 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	15867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_05.jpg 
Views:	23391 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	15868  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_06.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	15869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_07.jpg 
Views:	17451 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	15870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_08.jpg 
Views:	47763 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	15871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_09.jpg 
Views:	1777 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	15872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_10.jpg 
Views:	3329 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	15873  

Name:	StinkyPete_11.jpg 
Views:	1754 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	15874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_12.jpg 
Views:	1052 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	15875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_13.jpg 
Views:	2949 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	15876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_14.jpg 
Views:	2477 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	15877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_15.jpg 
Views:	4836 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	15878  

Name:	StinkyPete_16.jpg 
Views:	57011 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	15879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_18.jpg 
Views:	44458 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	15880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StinkyPete_19.jpg 
Views:	1178 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	15881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1petePACK.jpg 
Views:	64073 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	15882  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Young Epoch's STINKY PETE THE PROSPECTOR

Great review! How did you come across buying it? I've been looking to buy one of these for a long time now on eBay and such. Could you help me?

Re: Young Epoch's STINKY PETE THE PROSPECTOR

This is sold in Japan (I got mine in a Pixar store - which they are out of now) and I'm afraid I haven't seen it available anywhere at all either. If I see it at all, I'll try and post here.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.