Movies/TV/Games: BLU-RAY REVIEW: Sherlock - Season One

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BLU-RAY REVIEW: Sherlock - Season One

BBC's brilliant modern-day re-imagining of the world's greatest sleuth...

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, ToyDorks.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

An English professor once asked me what I thought Shakespeare would be writing today were he alive, to which I answered, probably soap operas and sappy TV. Though I hope that I am wrong...

I'd like to think if Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were alive today, I'd like to think he'd be writing such brilliant TV as the BBC's Sherlock. Created specifically for the station's Masterpiece Sunday evening time slot, the first episode, which aired back in July, attracted 7.5 million viewers and immediately made series' star Benedict Cumberbatch both a household name and a television sensation in the U.K.

Now, thanks to the BBC, fans everywhere can check out this amazing series on blu-ray hi-def along with some worthwhile special features to boot...

A collaboration between Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss (whom fans of other BBC favorites like Doctor Who and Jekyll will immediately recognize), Sherlock is a modern re-imagining of the classic sleuth Sherlock Holmes as he works as "consulting detective" alongside Dr. John Watson, a medically retired Army doctor-turned-assistant and the New Scotland Yard, investigating and solving crimes unlike any seen before...except in the pages of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classics...

After watching this series, only one word comes to mind: brilliant. Truly, this is one of the best shows on TV and, were it available to watch weekly, I'd be, like Sherlock himself, an addict obsessed. Each episode ripples with both anticipation and excitement, as if on the edge of a wire ready to fall, each and every mistake or victory clearly conceived and yet so vaguely hidden from plain sight. Unlike Sherlock, whose ability to deduct and observe are trained to perfection, as viewers, it's both often hair-raising and somewhat frustrating to see how truly and brilliantly awesome the story lines to these three films flow.

Each of the episodes, at 90 minutes long, captures an unsteady, frightening air and provides plenty of intense drama, spotted with moments of sheer terror and hilarious comedic relief. In a day and age when viewers have have numerous crime dramas and investigative shows running rampant on the airwaves, after watching Sherlock, one sees there's truly no substitute for the classic and best. Thankfully, both Moffat and Gatiss, self-professed die-hard Sherlock Holmes fans, have done the character and stories justice with this marvelous series, which truly captures the essence of the original while giving it a perfectly balanced spin in modern day London.

This 2-disc blu-ray set includes all three aired episodes - A Study in Pink, The Blind Banker, and The Great Game - as well as the original unaired, 60-minute version of A Study in Pink) alongside various other special features. These special features include commentary from Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue on A Study in Pink and Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Mark Gatiss on The Great Game. Lastly, a 30+ minute short documentary entitled "Unlocking Sherlock" is also included and is well worth a watch for fans who enjoy this exceptionally well made series.

In all, Sherlock is one of the surprise TV hits of 2010. Truly a show worthy of audiences' attention, Sherlock delivers plenty of intense inquiry, fascinating logic, frightening crimes, and nail-biting action. For fans of mysteries, crime, action, or adventure, give Sherlock a try and do your best to solve these dreaded crimes alongside Sherlock and Watson.

- Jess C. Horsley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sherlock.JPG 
Views:	1047 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	15094  
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.