Movies/TV/Games: DVD REVIEW: Mirrors 2

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

DVD REVIEW: Mirrors 2

Unrated version of horror sequel hits home video along with Korean counterpart...

For a great selection of action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

There are some films which deserve sequels and some that don't. Most of the time, a horror movie falls into the later category. After all, most horror films are written in a way they don't provide the necessary prequel properties to make a sequel successful. Enter Mirrors 2.

While not necessarily a bad film the original 2008 Mirrors, directed by Alexandre Aja (best know for High Tension), provided at least a decent premise with decent acting and a few decent scares. Now, 2 years later, 20th Century Fox has released Mirrors 2 just in time for the Halloween season and, while the original was neither the most original nor that well made, it makes Mirrors 2 feel like a rewarding and super enjoyable experiance.

Written by Matt Venne, directed by Victor Garcia and starring Nick Stahl, Emmanuelle Vaugier, Christy Romano and Evan Jones, Mirrors 2 missed the mark in so many ways, it's hard to know where to begin. Viewers are thrown into the story with little to no suspenseful build-up, the characters' personalities take too long to develop, and - when they finally do develop - I'm hoping each and every one of them dies a grisly death. In fact, I even attempted to hold a mirror up to my TV to hope main character Max Matheson (Stahl) would see what he was doing and simply fall over dead. Alas, it was not to be...

The story closely matches the 2003 original Korean film Into the Mirror, but falls short in the very essence of the original. Little to no suspenseful investigating is done and, like many American remakes of foreign horror/thrillers, there's too much emphasis on blood, gore and the "shock factor."

The DVD features a number of special features, including a "Making of" featurette entitled "The Other Side: Making Mirrors 2." The nearly 10 minute featurette provides a decent behind-the-scenes look at the film's production through cast and crew interviews for fans who make it that far. Likewise, a second featurette, "Keeping It Real: The Visual and Special Effects of Mirrors 2," is worth checking out for those film buffs who like to know how the effects are done.

The one solid redeeming grace of the DVD release is the inclusion of the original 2003 Korean film Into the Mirror, upon which both Mirrors and Mirrors 2 are based. For those who've never seen it, it's much more realistic, dramatic, and suspenseful than either of the American remakes and, simply put, a much better and all-around more enjoyable film. In fact, if you're looking for a decent thriller/horror/detective story, I'd recommend Into the Mirror much more than I would either Mirrors or Mirrors 2.

Personally, I found Mirrors 2 to be simple, unexciting, and easily forgotten. Entertaining at best; sadly, Mirrors 2 is nothing to write home about nor purchase. If you enjoyed the first Mirrors and are a sucker for punishment, check out Mirrors 2 via rental...but be sure you get the flip disc with Into the Mirror on Side B. At least you'll have something that's entertaining and worth spending 90 minutes on...

Mirrors 2 is available on DVD and Blu-ray now wherever fine home video is sold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirrors2.JPG 
Views:	877 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	13031  
    "Until next time...have FUN with your figures!!"

Jess C. Horsley

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.