REVIEW: Collector's Edition SLINKY DOG

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

Collector's Edition SLINKY DOG

The original Toy Story mutt...

For a great selection of film, comic and TV action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

It's the original! Created by James Industries, the dog with a real Slinky as a body can be yours! The toy that inspired the character of Slinky Dog in the Toy Story films can still be purchased online and in specialty stores for as low as $13 to as high as $20. I picked up this toy for no other reason than to display alongside my Thinkway Toys Toy Story Collection of full scale movie replicas and while Slinky Dog is not the perfect display piece, it does a decent job.

I'm not 100% certain about this but the packaging for Slink can differ but it's the same basic toy inside. I've seen your standard retail outlets carry Slinky Dog in stock but with Toy Story specific packaging. The boxes never showed the actual toy so I refrained from buying those. Seeing the retro original style box was much more comforting.

There is an included certificate of authenticity that does answer some questions many may have. It reads:

The Collector's Edition Slinky Dog has been recreated in authentic detail down to his quirky leash. Originally placed on his chest, the leash was relocated to his head before production began in 1953 in order to keep his head up while walking. Today, the leash is shorter to comply with federal safety regulations.

And just as it says, the leash coming out from between his eyes is super short. It's barely long enough for anyone to pull. But since I was trying to be Toy Story accurate, snip snip and off it came. There's also a string holding Slinky's front to his back. This restricted Slink from really stretching out so that also had to go.

There's unfortunately no articulation on Slinky Dog as he was meant as a pull toy (complete with little wheels on the bottom of his feet) and there's no way for him to look left or right. I'm unsure if an updated version will ever get made but after three films, they're still selling the same one. If you're a Toy Story collector, this is a very cheap item to add.

Review and Photography by David Yeh

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_02.jpg 
Views:	7590 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	12520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_04.jpg 
Views:	894 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	12522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_05.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	12523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_06.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	12524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_07.jpg 
Views:	6785 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	12525  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_08.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	12526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_09.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	12527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_11.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_12.jpg 
Views:	19888 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	12529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_13.jpg 
Views:	25909 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	12530  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_14.jpg 
Views:	2341 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	12531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLINKYDOG_15.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	12532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1SLINKVIEWS.jpg 
Views:	8974 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	12533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1SLINKPACK.jpg 
Views:	8395 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	12534  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.