Comics/Books: BOOK REVIEW: "I Am Plastic Too - The Next Generation of Designer Toys"

Figures.com

+ Reply to Thread

BOOK REVIEW: "I Am Plastic Too - The Next Generation of Designer Toys"

Paul Budnitz's new book explores the vivid world of art toys...

I Am Plastic, Too: The Next Generation of Designer Toys By Paul Budnitz, Published by Abrams

For a great selection of action figures and collectibles, check out BigBadToyStore.com, BriansToys.com, ToyWiz.com, SmallJoes.com, PastGenerationToys.com, Urban-Collector.com, MonkeyDepot.com, HobbyLinkJapan.com, and Sekaido.com.

To insure your action figure collection, get in touch with our sponsor Collectibles Insurance.

In 2006, Paul Budnitz, the founder and creative director behind Kidrobot (the world's premier retailer, curator, and producer of limited edition art toys, apparel, accessories, and home products) brought a book titled I Am Plastic: The Designer Toy Explosion to the table. Budnitz documented what began as a modest concept by two Chinese artists in 1996 and since then, exploded into something so much bigger.

Page 43: Shogun 8-inch Dunny, Red Edition, 2007 Manufactured by Kidrobot © Huck Gee and Kidrobot

Four years later, the designer movement has expanded even more, becoming a dominant force in the West. Author Paul Budnitz presents I AM PLASTIC, TOO: THE NEXT GENERATION OF DESIGNER TOYS, a closer study of more than 140 of the very best artists and companies that span six continents.

Page 62: Hyde, Custom MUNNY, 2006 Designed by Doktor A © Doktor A and Kidrobot

This large hardcover book is a veritable who's who of the designer toy movement and features great photography of scarce, limited-edition toys as well as extensive interviews with thirteen designers (Joe Ledbetter, Tara McPherson, Huck Gee, Amanda Visell, Mad Toy Design, Gary Baseman, Frank Kozik, Ron English, Devilrobots, Junko Mizuno, Flying Fortress, Course, and Jeremyville) on 368 pages. The book measures 9 3/4" x 11 1/2" with 1,000 full-color illustrations.

Page 232: Himalan, San Diego Comic-Con Super7 Exclusive, 2008 © Itokin Park

This colorful book is available now through ABRAMS (abramsbooks.com) with a suggested retail price of $45.

If you think you know Designer Toys, this is a great resource. If you don't know Deisgner Toys, this is an even better resource. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the book, but in this case, you really can judge a book by its cover because what you get is the very same but a whole lot more of it. Large, clear photographs are abundant as well as the artists and companies that made them. I highly recommend this book for the sheer fun of seeing the toys that you have come across. It's also a great way to check out the incredible toys that are out of my price range.

Review by David Yeh

Review Sample and Photos Courtesy of Abrams Books

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IAmPlasticCOVER.jpg 
Views:	1187 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	11889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page43.jpg 
Views:	1356 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	11890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page62.jpg 
Views:	1770 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	11891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page232.jpg 
Views:	1727 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	11892  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.